Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times

Advertisements

I would like to warn people about using Craiglist looking for rentals. The housing is tight in Minot and the western part of the state. I have received several calls from potential renters who were smart enough to call first before sending out money. Craigslists has actual pictures that are stolen from our online real estate sites and they are using those to post as rentals. Before you wire or mail off any money, call someone you know to verify the validity of the rental. There are several fraud sites for the Minot area and I cannot get them off of Craigslist. Be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity View Post
I would like to warn people about using Craiglist looking for rentals. The housing is tight in Minot and the western part of the state. I have received several calls from potential renters who were smart enough to call first before sending out money. Craigslists has actual pictures that are stolen from our online real estate sites and they are using those to post as rentals. Before you wire or mail off any money, call someone you know to verify the validity of the rental. There are several fraud sites for the Minot area and I cannot get them off of Craigslist. Be careful.
Thanks. The worst ones are the ones who have the crazy low prices and square footage. I see these on the Grand Forks area craiglist as well. 2 BR/2BA $770 great home, etc and click on it and it goes to a rent to own site with pictures of houses along the waterfront in Florida.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
Great post. Just have to hope people do some in depth research and digging before plopping down some money on some place to live that they saw on the internet. The world is full of scoundrels.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Great post. Just have to hope people do some in depth research and digging before plopping down some money on some place to live that they saw on the internet. The world is full of scoundrels.
Well said, Norsk/Deutsch/Polska! I have had too many troubles in one way or another whenever I used the offerings of Craigslist (CL). So I no longer use CL for nothing. I starting getting uncomfortable about using CL a couple years ago, when I started hearing about the stories of people being murdered , assaulted , robbed , and scammed (in one way or another) . Thus is why I use options other than CL . . . i.e. the good old Yellow Pages or search for legitimate businesses doing my own Google searches AND also doing "Yelp" and "Better Business Bureau" searches (on companies I am considering doing business with) . . . which is easy, because how often do you have to do business with a new person on a company in any given month? So if I'm looking to do new business with a new company or person, I can easily check them out beforehand. I NEVER use CL as an option for ANYTHING.

The bottom line, I would never put myself in a situation where I would give out any private or personal information (about myself) to anyone I would be in contact with on CL. Nor would I meet anyone for any business or service, unless they have an actual business address that I could check-out on my own, before agreeing to meet someone. Yet to save that step, it is so much easier & quicker to find reputable businesses and people without using CL for anything.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Craigs List can be a decent tool. But it is much like a friend, having one too many beers with you, that tells you, "Hey, I know a job you can get." Or, "Hey, I know where there is a house." It's probably good, but you really need to thoroughly check it out yourself. Don't rely strictly on friends, or craigs list. hahahaha

Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 AM

Here is some info on that housing rental postings that keep popping up.... stay away very far away...

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-345-1844 (broken link)

Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM

More info...

http://flakelist.org/page/viewpub/tid/1/pid/6086

Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM

14 posts, read 33,348 times
Also, there are pictures snapped of local homes that are owned by people for years and are being out on
BismanOnline.com as well as CL where people are being asked up fronton secure the housing with a deposit without ever stepping foot inside of it.
Then they're arriving to find that the home was never available and are out their cash.

People from the AFB have been warned big time to take heed with situations such as this. We've had a few here who've been scammed.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
It is still happening. Had another one with a different Realtor. Cannot believe people are so low, they would stoop to still from people looking for housing.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Talked to a gal yesterday that is selling her house in Grand Forks using craig's list, I told her to add the info about how close we are to the Bakken ......... anyway....she mentioned a neighbor recently had a guy stop by w/ a printout of her house that he had gotten off Craigs list....someone from Aftrica was advertising it for rent. Nice guy to come warn a person....Be aware folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota