Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 28,522 times

Advertisements

Whats up fellas?

..well this is the thing. Im a student from Macedonia, and im going to North Dakota on a 3-4 month work and that stuff along with the J-1 visa ****.

I will be working in a supermarket&gas station called Superpumper. So, I was wondering, anyone knows anything about Superpumper? Cuz I dont know **** to be honest, anything would be helpful. +im getting payed 10$ per hour, I mean is that enough?

And how is life in Minot? How are the people? I heard you have a lot of republicans there. Places to see, things to do? Clubs and nightlife.

Thank you very much in forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
Assuming you have a place to stay. If you are getting paid $10 plus room, that is good. If you have to pay for a room, you would not have enough income.

Minot has a university, but it won't be in session when you are there, except the last month. There is not much night life, but there are plenty of bars.

Would you have access to a car?

The scenery would be so much more wide open than you are used to - like eastern Ukraine.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 AM

454 posts, read 940,173 times
I'm thinking you have a place to live when you get here? If no living arrangements have been made for you in advance, don't come to Minot, you will not be able to find anything that $10.00 an hour will afford.

There are Democrats in Minot as well as Republicans, but unless you ask people what their political affiliation is, it's likely you will never know, it's not like we walk into SuperPumper or any other business and announce it to the staff and other customers.

Depending on what interests you on your time off from your job, there really is a lot to do in and around Minot, I'm thinking there are already several people in Minot through the J-1 visa program and if you meet up with those people they will probably fill you in on what there is to do. I highly recommend a trip to Medora, ND if you can swing it, it's well worth seeing while you are in ND. Minot also hosts the North Dakota State Fair in July, and that is a lot of fun, so be sure to get there at least once.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Truthfully, 10 an hr won't rent you an apartment in Grand Forks either. That isn't a wage most folks would move to N.D. for unless they already had free housing. Please give this some real thought. Be safe.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Yea, I will stay in the Grand Lodge in Minot. I'll pay 85 $ per week, i'll share my room with a roomate.

i'll get 10 $ per hour, 40 hours minimum contract guaranteed per week.

Im into clubbing and nightlife, and was wondering what Minot has to offer in that area.

And I was thinking about the general opinion about Superpumper, dont be rude please .

PS.I should find a second job it seems lol..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Find a second job (which would be easy in Minot - places are begging for workers). Save your money for clubbing in Greece or Macedonia, where it is so much cheaper (and a nightlife exists).

Ever been to the steppes of western Kazakhstan?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

As NDP stated, make sure you go to the State fair. They have some decent concerts, including Kid Rock, Foreigner, and Nitty Gritty Dirt band.

If you stay in Minot through October, you'll get to see Hostfest, a Scandinavian immigrant festival with concerts. The night life then is dancing polka with 80 year olds. But still something to experience.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Find a second job (which would be easy in Minot - places are begging for workers).

Im already starting to like Minot

Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM

113 posts, read 230,793 times
Housing is worth a lot.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 AM

174 posts, read 378,707 times
Welcome to ND and I hope you enjoy your brief stay. Minot actually isn't bad for things to do as long as you are over 21 which is the legal drinking age here. Otherwise all the bars will be off limits for you. Just a side note, since you are on a J-1 visa you CAN'T get a second job. You are restricted to working for your contracted sponsor unless otherwise specified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota