Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times

Advertisements

We are moving to GF and looking to rent a house/townhouse/nice apt while we watch the market to buy. (family and pet friendly, 2-3 bdrooms).

We have been scouring craigslist, GF Herald, Elite and Oxford, but if anyone has links to something we are missing - we would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle157 View Post
We are moving to GF and looking to rent a house/townhouse/nice apt while we watch the market to buy. (family and pet friendly, 2-3 bdrooms).

We have been scouring craigslist, GF Herald, Elite and Oxford, but if anyone has links to something we are missing - we would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Hi there

I live in EGF and work in GF and have been in the area since 98 and also have assisted quite a few folks moving to the area (Air Force and non-military).
Now, I am not a realtor nor in that profession. So this is more based on my knowledge and interest of keeping track of housing and rentals.

You got the right sites there.... there are no more for rental single family homes.

Rental single family homes have always been in very short supply, as our area is more of a rent an apartment and then buy a house type of market. That said there are some that pop up....sometimes come up a few at a time, then none for a while. From what I have noticed over the past few months, the number of rental homes have been very very difficult to come by and snapped up very quickly.

Elite is the main property management company for most home rentals, with Oxford somewhat. Elite does offer a call back option if you call them with your interests they can let you know of anything coming up. I know someone who moved here from Oregon who did this...called them and got on a call back list. I thought I saw an ad very recently on CL of a home for rent starting June 1. I know with the short supply, I would suggest jumping on most anything even if you have to pay for a while before you move. But it is the summer and this is the time for most openings.

Here is the link to one starting June 1 st. It is in East Grand Forks, but the location seems off so dont use that. You are not going to get much better for the price and that allows pets. Quite a few rentals and many apartments allow no pets or have a quite high pet deposit.

[Mod cut]

I guess what I am saying....you may just have to jump and whatever you see even though it may not be ideal, esp if for a short term. The demand is way higher than supply.

Now...for nice apartments that allow pets. There are a bit more to choose from. Ashland apartments rented by Oxford is quite nice and new and does allow pets ( I dont know how many). For true apartment listings....I suggest trying IMM Property Management along with Oxford and Hampton Managment. Goldmark is another large one but they mainly deal with older complexes.

In terms of buying a house....I dont know your price range....but right now inventory of homes is quite low compared to past years. If you are looking at new homes, almost all are in the far south end. The area north of the South Middle school has built up a lot in the past few years and another section is opening up this summer with roads being put in. There will be a new elementary school going up likely just north of the Middle school there. Location hasnt been determined exactly. Homes north of south middle school and south of 40th Ave S and between Washington and Columbia are a bit pricey (depending on what you think of as pricey) with most new homes priced 260-320K Crary has some new homes on the north side of 40th Ave S and just east of 20th St S with a bit lower prices mostly in the lower to mid 200s... that area of town for newness is quite nice, but specials can be high due to streets, lights, sewer put in. My favorite area of town is east of Cherry Street and south of about 17th Ave S all the way down past 47th Ave S. Mostly 1970s-early 90s homes with specials mostly all paid and area is very nice and quiet.

Hope it helped a little...

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-20-2012 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Cannot send individual listings

Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Here is one search....you can try additional searches too. I searched google using Rental Grand Forks North Dakota. There were several links that came up...this is just one...Grand Forks Real Estate & Apartments for Rent & House Rentals - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 PM

35 posts, read 96,725 times
http://www.egf.mn/DocumentVniew.aspx?DID=1079

I also like this link. It's for EGF only though. I don't know what most of those people/places offer, but it would def be worth calling through. It's on the city's website, I don't know why it's on there. I only found it when I googled my current landlord's phone number out of curiosity.
But I've noticed the best places to rent are tough to find online. A lot of the great places don't have to advertise online, word of mouth keeps them full around here.

Be leary on craigslist, lots of legit-looking scams I've seen on there lately. I'm sure you know, but never go for their credit check, reference check, criminal check, insurance check websites. Always a scam, so be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota