Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times

Advertisements

Story breaking on area FB pages and media this midday....8 NDSU players will be charged with fraud in regards to obtaining signatures for medical marijuana ballot measure. Exact details now known as of this posting...but seems some folks charged were paid and some put down false names such as Donald Duck and others.

Two Proposed Ballot Measures Thrown Out on KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

Bison Football Players Charged With Fraud - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
Just so, so disappointed about this news-
I really, really wanted to be able to vote for the conservation funds set-aside from the oil tax that we will be able to fix the landscape (to a limited extent, I know) once the oil is played out.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
This story has the potential to get a lot of publicity for NDSU, especially with the national concerns on voting fraud.

8 NDSU players charged with petition fraud; coach says they can play while case heard in court - The Washington Post

Eight North Dakota State players charged with petition fraud | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 09-05-2012, 05:11 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
I'm just curious about the timing. These fraud cases only seem to come out when the measure is something opposed by the political mainstream. While I don't condone fraud, I have a feeling this would have slipped by had it been a bill banning new oil taxes or medical marijuana.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Here is a good article in todays' Forum newspapers about what was found....

Making a list and checking it twice: How a petition gets approved (or not) | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

Many mistakes were so obvious.....same handwriting on a bunch of names....wrong zip codes for cities...etc...

I dont think these ballot measures got any more scrutiny than others. But the folks that made these mistakes were so obvious in them kind of hard not to notice. I read one had Hillary Rodham listed....Donald Duck....etc....

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Here is a good article in todays' Forum newspapers about what was found....

Making a list and checking it twice: How a petition gets approved (or not) | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

Many mistakes were so obvious.....same handwriting on a bunch of names....wrong zip codes for cities...etc...

I dont think these ballot measures got any more scrutiny than others. But the folks that made these mistakes were so obvious in them kind of hard not to notice. I read one had Hillary Rodham listed....Donald Duck....etc....
I ran for office as a third party candidate in another state, in that case the signature forms did not get any real overview unless someone challenged to petition. The problem is that the other candidates almost always challenge. Every politician is all for democracy, except at election time. Then they do everything possible to limit the choice of the voters. While I understand the concept of petitions to prevent frivolous and overloaded ballots, the truth is in many states it is purely a way to stifle democracy and control the elections.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
The NDSU players used phone books to get thousands of unauthorized names on the petitions. By "getting" more names, there were paid bonuses in additon tto the $9 / hr. The players won't even reaffirm that the names they "collected" were legit. When a petition page is submitteed with signatures in the same handwriting, its pretty obvious something is amiss.

The organizations behind these initiative screwed up big time. They should at least checked the petitions for obvious fraud. When the Fighting Sioux nickname went on the ballot, organizers threw out nearly 10,000 signatures on petition forms that concerned them. And those getting the signatures will all unpaid volunteers.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
The NDSU players used phone books to get thousands of unauthorized names on the petitions. By "getting" more names, there were paid bonuses in additon tto the $9 / hr. The players won't even reaffirm that the names they "collected" were legit. When a petition page is submitteed with signatures in the same handwriting, its pretty obvious something is amiss.

The organizations behind these initiative screwed up big time. They should at least checked the petitions for obvious fraud. When the Fighting Sioux nickname went on the ballot, organizers threw out nearly 10,000 signatures on petition forms that concerned them. And those getting the signatures will all unpaid volunteers.
Yes, paying for things like signatures or voter registrations is a bad idea. It is an invitation for fraud and other headaches. While volunteers aren't above these types of shenanigans, they usually have a more vested interest to make sure things are done the right way.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Wonder what if any legal repercussions these players will experience. I find this deplorable..... I cannot believe the school hasn't taken some action since they are all students....Really embarrassing for N.D.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

231 posts, read 873,002 times
Probably because they haven't been convicted of anything yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota