Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

A few years ago my husband and I almost purchased a small lot with a house on it in Wishek. The price was a bargain and my husband was getting out of the army and we were looking into moving and starting a new life there. We ended up backing out because of listening to our families advice. I suppose the house on the lot wasn't worth fixing up and tearing it down would of cost us a lot more than we had at that time. Oddly enough, my husband took a job in Wyoming in the oilfield and was sent to North Dakota recently to work. I am still in Wyoming with the kids and he comes home every other week. Wishek has still been on my mind. I want to raise my children in a rural area. Where we currently live is pleasant enough but the cost of living is high and the work has died down here. I am kicking myself for not just taking that leap and buying that small plot of land. We are a young couple (under 30) with two young children (under 5). Is Wishek welcoming to young families?

Does anyone have any info on Wishek? Is it worth another look? Are there any rental homes available? I remember the schools were updated and were excellent. My husband can stay on in North Dakota and just commute home but I'd prefer him to eventually look for a job nearby Wishek so he can come home each night.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
Looks very rural, my husband also works in ND and commutes back to MN every two weeks. He is on 2 weeks, off 1 week, we were looking for something possibly in the ND area too. Since he is on site for 2 weeks at a time it doesn't matter where we live, we wont see him anyway.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:36 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
That area of course if heavily agriculture -- small town -- rural and thus many of the typical websites that help you out in finding housing in the larger cities will not help much.

I have never been there but do know that area is heavy German (Germans from Russia) so more German ethnic food and small diners are big.

I did fine some info on a local place in Wishek called Big Screen Bar/Restaurant....it is converted from an old theatre.

Big Screen Bar, Wishek - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Reason why I bring this up is often the best info is my calling a local place and just chatting. These local hangouts know a lot about the town.

per websites...might check BISMANONLINE as they cover the area.....but in such small towns the housing can be tough.

Here is the town website.... Home - Wishek, ND

I have heard good things about the town of Ashley to the southeast in the same county. All would fit the bill of small town rural North Dakota very well with lots of community pride.

Dan

Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 PM

16 posts, read 39,472 times
Thank you so much for the information! It's much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota