Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times

Advertisements

Home of Economy was having a 15% off sale this week.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Helly Hansen also has a line of work gear that we used in Alaska...although...it is more designed for work around the water...but it's originally from Norway...and there are plenty of Norsemen in ND....

Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,201 times
curious who sells those winter beanie hat that can be tighten to your head? I haven't seen any of those. Sometime the wind seem to just blow this thing off my head. I bought mines at walmart. Not even thick enough. I think materials used would matter since I think polyurethane is warmer. I had a jacket made of polyurethane.

I've seen beanies that are fleece. The Under Armour brand has them.

Last edited by thealfa; 11-13-2013 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: added details

Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 AM

I just looked at the Helly Hansen website. I like their selections, its high price is for a reason since the beanies are made of wool. I know this is warm. I have no experience wearing a balaclava and this thing looks even warmer since it covers everything but the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Helly Hansen also has a line of work gear that we used in Alaska...although...it is more designed for work around the water...but it's originally from Norway...and there are plenty of Norsemen in ND....

Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 PM

47 posts, read 89,626 times
Another place to look would be Cabelas, they have cold weather gear, Carharts & others. For wind protection I like to use Cabelas brand with "Windshear". Or google Outdoor Research for their windproof beanies/headbands. Your more considered with blocking the wind. Even in -20 weather I generally wear a ball cap with a windproof headband... Don't even think of cheaping out on good footwear, nothing at walmart that will hold up... Filsons is another online specialty place that makes stuff that don't wear out...

Not much at Walmart that would stand up to real work in the patch, that stuff is more casual weekend warrior stuff. Need to get some decent gear. Like others said, Tractor Supply Company, Fleet Farm, Home of Economy, Nodak in Fargo are the places more farmers/ranchers/welders/fitters get their gear..

I have spent 2/3rds of my life in this weather, I have a good idea what works

Rod

Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM

93 posts, read 169,658 times
The Walmart stuff is like trying to stop a flood with a kleenex. Just not sufficient. I moved to ND from another Canada-scratching state, but my kids grew out of everything and I've had to look around for super cold weather stuff lately. Farm stores are definitely going to have good stuff, not just Carhartt but other brands, too. I saw boots rated to -50 for girls (size my 8YO would wear) the other day in Home of Economy. (Which is a totally cool store, BTW--where else can you buy horse bridles and a fine Amish furniture and hunting traps and lefse making supplies all under one roof??) I found reasonably priced, warm winter gloves for kids there, too. (Better quality than Walmart but lower price.) Cabela's will have really heavy duty stuff, but uh... *staggers a bit at the price* (Ditto Sheels) I saw some really heavy duty coats at Gordman's, comparable with what you might find at Target, only heavier. So...yes, you can find some things, but I'd say *most* of the truly heavy duty winter clothes are very pricey, so a lot of what we're doing is the layers.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 AM

I've seen some good products at Helly Hansen and Filson's. I hope to get a good deal this black Friday or is Cyber Monday better? I'm still shopping around before it gets colder soon. Is Carhartt supposed to be better than Craftsman? I was told Craftsman is a copy-cat of Carhartt. I have a Craftsman jacket. It does its job but layers are still necessary. Seems like the products that are made of wool would be the warmest if I'm not mistaken. Filson's and Helly Hansen products are made of wool. Very pricey. Long johns for $100? Beanies made of wool for $30? Seriously?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 AM

Too bad they don't have a webstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Home of Economy was having a 15% off sale this week.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 AM

I like what I see at Filson's. Are the products at those farmer/ranch type stores look unfashionable or they sell everything from Filson's, Helly Hansen, etc. as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak7mm View Post
Another place to look would be Cabelas, they have cold weather gear, Carharts & others. For wind protection I like to use Cabelas brand with "Windshear". Or google Outdoor Research for their windproof beanies/headbands. Your more considered with blocking the wind. Even in -20 weather I generally wear a ball cap with a windproof headband... Don't even think of cheaping out on good footwear, nothing at walmart that will hold up... Filsons is another online specialty place that makes stuff that don't wear out...

Not much at Walmart that would stand up to real work in the patch, that stuff is more casual weekend warrior stuff. Need to get some decent gear. Like others said, Tractor Supply Company, Fleet Farm, Home of Economy, Nodak in Fargo are the places more farmers/ranchers/welders/fitters get their gear..

I have spent 2/3rds of my life in this weather, I have a good idea what works

Rod

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM

47 posts, read 89,626 times
Long johns and underwear, go hi tech like under armor briefs and Cabelas long johns. Filson is high end, last forever, unfashionable since 1920...lol. I use Filson wool vests and shirts, I would love a Filson jacket, but would be afraid to get it dirty or where it working because they start at 400$ typically.

Filson is sold in select places and mail order/online.. in Fargo, the only place I know where to get it is at the Outdoorsman (hunting/archery/shooting store). The Farm and Ranch stores will all have Carhartt, Dickies and the cheaper lines.

For work outer wear, I use Carharts. When I worked in the industrial world (iron, farm, contruction, etc) a pair of carhart bibswould last me 2 yrs of hard use. Now the bibs I got are 8 yrs old and are getting broken in.... lol... For hunting, I use high tech under garments and Gore-Tex/wind shear Cabelas & LL Bean layering stuff. For casual and business, I wear Filson, Cabelas, Pendelton....

Wool is awesome - High tech Under Armor type stuff is awesome. You get what you pay for.. You cant put a price on comfort and quality... Again, it is an investment, I got some spendy gear, but with proper care it will last for a life time.. Got further question, don't hesitate to ask. Being cold and wet with crappy gear blows.....

Rod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota