Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 12,343 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Minot, but am looking to move elsewhere in the state due to high rental prices in the city. I have been looking at Rugby as it would still allow me to work for my current company, and also fairly easily travel to Minot (the distance is not an issue as I'm accustomed to driving quite a ways currently for my job) or other company locations around the region.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience renting in Rugby, and if so, what typical prices are in the city. Also, names of any rental agencies in the area would be great, as I'm having trouble finding any throughout my own web searches.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,702 times
If you could get ahold of a local paper want ads, that would help.

http://www.thepiercecountytribune.com/

Would you rent a house or apartment?

One listing showed average rental prices of $312. That likely includes subsidized prices and/or older apartments. For apartments, maybe call these numbers:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...-Dakota/Rugby/

Rental homes normally rent out at 1% per month of their sale price value.

Here's some recent listings.
Rugby Real Estate - Rugby, ND Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Check with a Rugby Real Estate agent. Looks like some agents are in are in Minot. If you tell them you are interested in a rent to own deal, they would be more responsive. (That's normally a two year commitment, with the option to buy at a negotiated price.)

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
I agree with fourwinds call some local real estate agents they would know some info, even if not buying. We have friends in Rugby and we do know the housing is pretty tight there. As fourwinds mentioned....some of the apartments may be for low income/elderly. In smaller towns, it is more common to buy than rent.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,071 times
According to Google Maps, it's about 65 miles one-way between Rugby and Minot. So, if you have to do a 110 mile round trip per day at 25 highway mpg (estimate for a pick-up truck) you're looking at 4.4 gallons of gas spent per day.

If you work seven twelve hour shifts per two weeks then you'd need about 15.5 gallons per week. If you work five shifts per week you'd need 22 gallons per week. At 4.5 weeks per month you're looking at a gasoline cost of 69.75 or 99 gallons per month. If the cost of gas is $3.50/gallon then it's going to cost about $244 or $346.50 per month for gasoline. You also need to factor in the value of your time--how much is 32-50 hours worth of free time per month worth to you? What about the inconvenience resulting from having to deal with winter weather (which would require additional travel time)?

I suppose it would depend on your tolerance for driving 110 miles each work day, the number of shifts you work per week, and the cost savings and apartment value that could be found in Rugby.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,343 times
Sorry, what I meant is that the company I work for has offices throughout the state, one of which is Rugby. For my needs, Rugby is a central enough location that I could travel to other work sites in the region fairly easily, and also back to Minot or the western part of the state if need be.

But I agree, that would be a heck of a daily commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
According to Google Maps, it's about 65 miles one-way between Rugby and Minot. So, if you have to do a 110 mile round trip per day at 25 highway mpg (estimate for a pick-up truck) you're looking at 4.4 gallons of gas spent per day.

If you work seven twelve hour shifts per two weeks then you'd need about 15.5 gallons per week. If you work five shifts per week you'd need 22 gallons per week. At 4.5 weeks per month you're looking at a gasoline cost of 69.75 or 99 gallons per month. If the cost of gas is $3.50/gallon then it's going to cost about $244 or $346.50 per month for gasoline. You also need to factor in the value of your time--how much is 32-50 hours worth of free time per month worth to you? What about the inconvenience resulting from having to deal with winter weather (which would require additional travel time)?

I suppose it would depend on your tolerance for driving 110 miles each work day, the number of shifts you work per week, and the cost savings and apartment value that could be found in Rugby.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,071 times
Your user name reminds me of this great movie:

Ravenous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota