Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM

91 posts, read 280,861 times

Advertisements

Well obviously by my name I'm looking for small town America. I want low crime, snow, cold, low population, basically in the middle of no where..For the most part Mayberry with snow and cold. Crosby and Harvey ND was looking real good. Cheap cost of living with nice older homes for 30k or less. But...OIL. Now you have a boom in population. That same house I've seen on realtor.com for 25k forever is now 179k. I know this is good for the economy but for my wishes its been a downer. Is there a place in ND anyone knows of that fits my bill? I know this sounds crazy and is what most people don't want..but hey...I aint lookin to retire in sunny Florida..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,956,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4mayberry View Post
Well obviously by my name I'm looking for small town America. I want low crime, snow, cold, low population, basically in the middle of no where..For the most part Mayberry with snow and cold. Crosby and Harvey ND was looking real good. Cheap cost of living with nice older homes for 30k or less. But...OIL. Now you have a boom in population. That same house I've seen on realtor.com for 25k forever is now 179k. I know this is good for the economy but for my wishes its been a downer. Is there a place in ND anyone knows of that fits my bill? I know this sounds crazy and is what most people don't want..but hey...I aint lookin to retire in sunny Florida..
I suggest you check out some of the towns in northeastern ND....we are away from oil activity and always will be. Towns such as Park River (west of Grafton) are quite nice as well as Cavalier....Walhalla and Langdon. These larger towns run about 1500 pop but there are many smaller farm towns nearby. This part of the state is generally flat but also close to some hills (Pembina Gorge between Cavalier and Langdon) and close to great state parks. It is also the coldest and snowiest part of the state on average.

You can get some idea of MLS listings for northeast ND by looking at
Welcome To BLAKESLISTINGS.COM - Blake ChristiansonGrand Forks, ND REALTOR

It does map out the MLS listings for the northeast ND-Grand Forks region. You would be close enough to Grand Forks (Park River is about an hour away) for larger shopping if needed. These towns feature great high school sports and spirit and have survived the 80s and 90s pop downturn in the state well. Just an idea....there are many others probably like it in eastern part of the state. Note....there are local real estate websites for these areas which may have homes not on the larger MLS....so what you see here is not all available. But it is a start.

--Dan

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Do yall get quite a bit of snow. I've been checking out Cavalier. It does look nice. Don't wanna be too close to big towns in MN though.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Do yall get quite a bit of snow. I've been checking out Cavalier. It does look nice. Don't wanna be too close to big towns in MN though.
You are quite far away from any larger MN towns....Minneapolis is about 350 miles southeast and Duluth about 5 hours east.

We dont get huge amounts of snow....but once it falls it usually sticks around all winter as it is cold and never melts. Usually expect snowcover from early Nov to late March/early April.

Average snowfall runs around 45-50 inches in that region over the course of the winter. Wind can be a factor in any season....so if you like wind this is your place.

--Dan

Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
Quote:
North Eastern N.D. is not close to ANY large MN areas. The Western half of MN is much like the North Eastern half of N.D., A good way to check these concerns out is the City Data main page. You can look up various cities and research statistics, populations, and many demographics. I agree, Cavalier is a beautiful small town. That general area has a bit more rolling hills and woodsy scenery, as most of the Red River Valley, South is flat terrain. Good luck on your move.
Here is a link that provides city/town names...Your area of interest would be North of Grand Forks, and West to Rugby.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 26,317 times
Low crime = anywhere west of Bismarck and east of Fargo. I don't know how small you are looking for, but check out LaMoure, ND. Great grandparents live there, they love it. Cheap houses, etc. Also Ypsilanti, Pingree, Buchanan, Kensal. All small towns centrally located, you can get to a walmart within 45 minutes, clinics within 30. Snow though - haha you're looking in the wrong state. Snow has been here since November and won't be gone til darn April.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
I think it best to research the individual towns/cities on the City Data home page (link below) for any city you might develop an interest in.
Re: crime...To just declare low crime "anywhere west of Bismarck and East of Fargo" is not accurate imo. Especially not in recent years. There are webpages that offer information on crime statistics, here is just one link (below) I found when doing a web search:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
//www.city-data.com/

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
Jan, as always, provided some good info, but I wanted to expand on it a tad bit.

You really can not get an accurate talley on crime stats in a boom area. Typically by the time the data is collected, correlated and put into usuable information, it takes a couple years. In a boom area, a couple years is a decade anywhere else. Things change so rapidly on a day to day basis that you simply can't keep up, nor can you predict what it is going to do. This is because in a 90 day period the entire populace can change one way or the other. Last 90 days every person that moved in had no family. This 90 days every person that moved in brought teenage kids with them. What is going to come in next 90 days? There is just no way of telling.

A nice, simple, quiet little town, 2 years ago, is a completely different animal today, and will be different again in the next 6 months.

My experience with North Dakota towns is that the quiet small towns are all very livable, if you rent or buy in an established neighborhood. By that, I mean if you get a house (rent of buy) in a quiet neighborhood, you will be fine. If you move into the local trailer park, where all the short term transient folks move in to, you are going to have to expect more activity, more noise, etc.

Bottom line is, when you look at crime stats, don't take it as gospel as it's probably not the same as it was when the stats were collected.

Good luck on your quest to find what you are looking for. It's there, do you homework and you'll find it.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendakotan View Post
Low crime = anywhere west of Bismarck and east of Fargo. I don't know how small you are looking for, but check out LaMoure, ND. Great grandparents live there, they love it. Cheap houses, etc. Also Ypsilanti, Pingree, Buchanan, Kensal. All small towns centrally located, you can get to a walmart within 45 minutes, clinics within 30. Snow though - haha you're looking in the wrong state. Snow has been here since November and won't be gone til darn April.
So do you mean yall get little snow but that bit stays cause of cold temps? Or sarcastic and yall get a bunch of snow? Where is the best places for snow? Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
So do you mean yall get little snow but that bit stays cause of cold temps? Or sarcastic and yall get a bunch of snow? Where is the best places for snow? Thanks again.
On average...our snowfall totals are not that large...certainly when compared to the lake effect areas in Upper Michigan or off Lake Ontario or Lake Erie in New York state....and lower than northern New England (VT, NH, ME). But what we get stays on the ground all winter long due to cold temperatures.

On average, places from Bottineau east through Langdon and Cavalier have a bit more snow than the rest of the state mainly because it gets colder there faster and stays colder there longer than the rest of the state. Typical winters will bring 50-60 inches in that area from late October thru early April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota