Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
What are your job goals, both short term and longer term?
First a little background, I became a Union laborer when I turned 18, good money, nice lifestyle and so forth. When construction went bust, I went to college at 28, and worked towards a degree in environmental science, as well as a home energy auditors certificate, and took some photo voltaic classes as well.
Short term, get out from under this debt, find something steady, and break the check to check cycle. Long term, just about the same as anyone else, I suppose. I would like to get my pensions back to growing, savings built back up, college for the kids, nice house for the wife, fishing boat for me.
Any advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated, I have been creeping on the forums since last fall, and have learned a whole bunch from you ladies and gents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 17,240 times
Hey Pripic, you sound exactly like me, almost exactly a year ago. Was waffling back and forth, and I actually went as far as to visit Williston and Dickinson before deciding to hold off another year and do a bit more groundwork before giving it a try. For me, the biggest barriers to making the final decision to head out were fear of leaving the old comfort zone with a decent paying seasonal job (but only 5 months a year, which wasn't cutting it, long-term financial stabilty-wise) and making sure that I've done everything possible to prepare myself to be employable and an asset to the area, not a burden on the already strained communities. After a brief check of Craigslist today, saw quite a few open RV spots, at least around Williston, and while they're expensive (to be expected) it looks like it would definitely be possible to find a place to park with hookups - that would give you a month or two and breathing room to look for an apartment if you wanted it, or shop around for a cheaper place to park the RV long term. Hope this helps you decide! Once I actually said "yep, I'm gonna do it, let's get ready", I found that it was much easier to focus and figure out what needed to be done. Heading out in a month, maybe I'll see ya out there!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Gobuffs - I'm betting your construction background will be a HUGE asset out there. Even if your long term goal is to line up something in the oilfields, with the housing market exploding in Dickinson, Williston, and everywhere in between, I would think that you'd be in pretty good shape, job-wise in the short term. When are you actually getting out there?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,705 times
JaCaNd....I am heading out of Kansas City the first of March. Gonna start in Dickinson and go from there. I have given some thought to the oil fields, but it really depends on the Union construction up there...the Union hall here says there is plenty of Union work, but generally I have come to find our Hall to be full of baloney. Good Luck with your journey, hope all is safe and prosperous!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,370 times
Gobuffs30 and JaCaNd, your posts are exactly why I started this thread. I agree with you, Gobuffs30, hearing others' stories really helped motivate me to think about this realistically. Being able to relate to other people in similar circumstances definitely eases the loneliness and cuts back some fear. Right now I've been talking to family and friends and mulling the decision over but, like you JaCaNd, it's still hard to let go of good weather and a decent job in a familiar place. My timeframe is a little skewed and unresolved, but it would have to happen within the next two-three months. I just left the service industry and things are starting to get tight, the clock is ticking...

Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM

122 posts, read 573,216 times
If by "looking for adventure" you mean, being bored silly, while freezing your behind off, and probably living in very sketchy conditions for a lot of skrilla... Yeah, we got that.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM

Pripic, Glad to hear that we can be of some service! The amount of info and motivation that's come through this board has been truly amazing to me, trying to pay it forward.

As far as your timeframe is concerned, sounds just about right - from the chatter on the boards here, folks are saying that around the time that the ground starts to thaw (late Mar-early April) and stuff starts moving around again, the employment situation should take off quite a bit. Fingers crossed!

Be interested in hearing what you decide! Keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota