Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM

103 posts, read 198,306 times

Advertisements

I have been doing applications everywhere here in minot. hiring signs everywhere, but when you ask for an application, they either don't know where they are, or have run out. I went to do one at menards, and they woman who gave it to me looked like she was going to bite my head off. she was so annoyed when I was finished and handed it back to her. no contact with me, just snatched it out of my hand. most store employees here look like they are on auto pilot, and out of it. walking very slow, and are unable to answer even the simplest of questions. I just cant figure out whats happening here. no one seems motivated at all. the home depot looks huge, and I will be applying the next. at walmart the employees look like warm bodies just walking around. maybe they are all getting over worked or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
It could be the fact that there is flooding again and their homes may be having issues. All the rain isn't helping.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM

maybe, it was raining pretty good here this week. the neighborhood I am staying is was one of the hardest hit when the bad flood happened. spillways are up, but nothing to serious here.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
I am sure there are a TON of basements with water issues though.

And almost everyone here is overworked lol.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM

60 posts, read 156,851 times
Danielle, This is why you will do well with your attitude. Stay positive and be friendly. If someone is unpleasant follow up with a manager with a positive attitude. I have no doubts you will be another North Dakota success story.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM

so funny, come see me in a few months and I to may be a walking zombie!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM

upon further investigation I now realize this flood of just 2 yrs ago did more damage then I knew. water to the roofs of many homes. looks like total destruction here. 2 yrs isn't enough time to recover from a flood of that magnitude. then add all of us moving here. its just to much for the locals to handle. being from fl, I can relate to destruction via natural disaster. minot is a beautiful town with beautiful people. they are still in recovery here. many have left never to return.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Keep trying. I messaged you w/ some job search sites, etc.

Re the grumpiness....It is normal for the grumpiness when in recovery after a disaster. The hero phase, when everyone is helping each other, checking on everyone...cleaning up etc leaves and people live with the day to day clean-up, loss of home, personal items etc. They become more individualistic...Some become competitive for resources. Jealous of what others receive in the way of help...things like that.

There is a saying we had...A tornado is like a heart attack, and a flood is like cancer.

I remember the first Christmas here after our 97' flood. It hit people all over again when they realized they had lost their Christmas decorations, or their favorite turkey roaster...little things like that remind you over and over for years... it can be devastating. Our efforts here included all sorts of stress relief efforts, lots of volunteers were coordinated by an agency I worked for. It is unfathomable how much devastation can be caused by simply water.

Add to that the oil and all that has come with it to make traffic and everything more of a hassle. Many locals lost homes, but could not afford the rents because the oil jobs had boosted the rents so high. Kids couldn't afford an apartment to attend the University. Lives changed in so many ways.
Many folks lost their family homes, schools, neighbors they had know forever. There are so many things that go along with a disaster, it is hard to imagine unless you've lived through one.

I'm adding a link w/ pics of Minot in 2011 after the flood. There are plenty of videos etc online if you care to research. It helps put things into perspective.

Maybe when you get a chance to visit with a local person ask about how they fared during 2011 flood. People will tell you there stories. We are many years after the 97' flood here, but it took many years, I'd guess nearly 10, before that wasn't the first thing folks talked about.

minot flood 2011 - Yahoo! Image Search Results

Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 AM

yes jan, the flood here was devastating. I watched some youtube videos of it. it was from a local news station. I now view minot in a different light. I have met a few locals, and they are the friendliest people ever! I am not sure how long I will be living here, but I am enjoying it so far.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Good. Glad to hear that you are being treated to the normal caring and neighborliness of the salt of the earth folks that I've come to love here in N.D.
Keep us posted. Hope you get a great job soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota