Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 AM

103 posts, read 197,799 times

Advertisements

My intentions are to arrive in Minot the first of May. I am wondering if Williston is more chaotic then Minot. Also, I assume its safer in Minot. I have begun packing, and I am really excited about this new life adventure outside of my native state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,215,243 times
Quote:
Minot less chaotic then Williston?
It's still over-crowded, but YES.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM

thanks fred. im from miami. crowded? traffic? i guess i will feel right at home! thanks for the info!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,215,243 times
Not that kind of crowded. It's still a very small, midwestern city.
It's just a crowded one.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM

431 posts, read 1,602,128 times
You will find Minot with heavy traffic, but not like Williston or Stanley. What is bringing you to ND? If you are looking for a job, you should have that secured before arriving. Housing and rentals are now plenty in Minot where a year ago, you couldn't find anything.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM

well thats good news on the housing situation. i am going for work. as of yet i havent secured anything.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM

83 posts, read 114,398 times
I came to Williston from Miami just about a week ago.When I arrived there was a huge blizzard and it was supposed to be spring. I was like wtf is this?? Lol But before I made the road trip, I flew here for the Williston job fair and secured a job with Dish Network as an installation tech for $23/hr. I now live in Minot at a hotel thats doing a special rate for long term stays at $1,400 which is not bad at all when you have a roomate and split that. If you have no money, have a job secured. But if you have a decent amount, then its worth the risk. I see hiring signs everywhere in Minot. The hotel I am staying at is hiring housekeeping for $12/hr and I see a new hotel across the street just opened up I am sure they are still hiring.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM

thanks so much chael. i was tinking about waiting forthe weather to get a little bit better then head out. so what city in fl would you compare minot to? i have lived in many fl cities. miami, ft laud, hlwd, st pet. i have even lived in rural fl, which i love. i pretty much fit in just about anywhere. i am, really excited about this trip. i just have to get my van fully self contained before i leave.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 AM

83 posts, read 114,398 times
Looks like spring is finally here. The sun is out more often and it will be around 60*-70* next week so you are coming at a good time. But it still gets extremely cold at night! Ive only been to Ft Lauderdale & Miami so im not sure which city in FL to compare it to. Its still a small town you can drive across in 10mins from one end of the town to another. Once you are out of Minot, you wont see another town like it for hours. Just rural plain bland looking fields filled with pump jacks & oil rigs. When you get to Williston, it is uglier than Minot. Atleast Minot has a Target & a mall.
I would recommend Minot over Williston if you are looking for a job non oil related. Williston isnt the only town booming. There are a couple of frac & oil companies in Minot but not as much as Williston. I actually had an offer I declined from an oil company for $22 as a roustabout one hour from Minot. The only thing that sucks here is the housing. Not many, but there are plenty of townhouses just finishing up. Although you will find much more affordable places in Minot than Williston, you have to commit to signing a lease, which is something I didnt want to do because I want to go back to Miami in November. So, if you come with a buddy or find someone to share the cost. The Astoria Hotel & Suites in Minot (brand new hotel) is doing a long term special rate of $1,400 /month. Until August. This is where I am staying. Its a pretty nice hotel!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM

great chael. i am really not looking for oil related work. maybe retail, or a restaurant if they are doing as well as i hear. housing shouldnt be a problem since i will be in my van for a bit. have you noticed more people arriving in town latley? do you know if the walmart there is hiring by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota