Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:13 PM

28 posts, read 154,530 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. I moved to Bismarck in July (Lincoln, actually.) Loving it so far. I was wondering if there are any special Christmas/holiday traditions in Bismarck - tree lighting, city-sponsored wassailing, etc. Just curious. Thanks!

Also, are there any good stores for Xmas paraphernalia in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:00 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
I'm not sure of the dats, but usually right after Thanksgiving or first of December...The Downtowner's Association, holds the annual Lights on Broadway Parade . The parade takes place usually before they open up Christmas in the Park, the Sertoma Club's month-long light show where local businesses and organizations set up Christmas lights and displays...and you pay a small fee per vehicle to drive through the park and look at the lights and displays. It is very cool. Also... you can just drive around Bismarck and many people go all out with Christmas decorations. There is a street in NE Bismarck near the corner of 26th and Divide...(a couple block west of 26th) I think it is Northview Lane. It is a vey hilly residential street, where all the residents on the street cover all their trees, shrubs, homes with lights...when you walk or drive through the street, you feel you are in a dream. As far as specialty stores, you will need to watch the adds. Many set up in the mall, and many local stores stock mega Christmas stuff...but I'm not a shopper, so not to keen on Christmas specialty stores. You will find plenty of Christmas during the Christmas Holidays in Bismarck.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,968 times
You should contact the Chamber of Commerce and the Bismarck Tourism office. They can supplyl you with the December activities. Also, the Chamber has a web site with the local activities. ct

Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Ooops...I accidently called it "the Sertoma clubs"...my mistake...it is Sertoma Parks Christmas in the park...not club.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 41,091 times
I have to agree with Roloff1976 the parade is something to see, although it is usually quite cold. Norhthview Lane is truly something to behold. So those have been answered already for you. Shopping places, there is/was a place in Mandan called Paula's Plants that has a really quaint store with really cool Christmas stuff. If you really want to go big though you NEED to go to the Holly Berry Fair at the Civic Center the weekend after Thanksgiving. I don't know know when but the Pride of Dakota Showcase is huge as well, you can also try deer and elk in most ways. They are crowded but if you go later in the afternoon on Sundays it is usually not as busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota