Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM

364 posts, read 556,752 times

Advertisements

Hello all. A little background on me before my question:

I'm 24, from Illinois, and have spent the last six years in Kentucky going to school, moving from dept. to dept. I have over 100 credit hours in two basic areas (journalism and OSH). I took a break at the end of spring '12, planning to take the fall off, live at home with the folks, and return the next spring. Well, this hasn't happened, and I'm pretty damn burnt out on school. I want to live, and I don't want to live here with my parents. It's driving me insane. It's a shame to throw all those credits out, but I believe they're good for five years, so they could be (and I plan on it) salvaged at a later date, in another school.

My best friend and former roommate in Kentucky is in a similar boat, and his father has suggested we could both find a nice paying job up in ND where he's currently working and living. He says the economy is much stronger up there (not least of all contributable to the oil boom), and even lowly positions such as McDonald's and Wal-Mart pay numbers twice what we see in IL or KY. I will say those are NOT the type of work I'm looking for, but its just an example. Wages up there are nice compared to the rest of the country in any job. My friend's father apparently has some hookups in construction work, where the wages will be more agreeable, and he also has a room to rent us until we can find something else. After doing a bit of research on the idea of just packing my stuff and starting off, I've come up with this list of pros and cons:

Pros:
-Literally more jobs are available than housing.
-Jobs pay well up there.
-It's a place to go to get the hell out of my parents' house. (I have little/zero savings.)
-I'm an outdoorsy person, and coming from southern IL, ND could be pretty cool, with some different wildlife than I'm used to.

Cons:
-Winters there could be a new definition of pain and suffering.
-More jobs than there are places to live. (We don't want to live with his dad any longer than necessary, and are planning on cohabitating both to save money, and to not get so depressed we kill ourselves.)
-I've heard that if you aren't religious, it can be hard to find social activities/fit in.

Like I said, I am of the outdoorsy type, and have grown up on a farm. Some environmental discomfort won't make me melt like butter, but I won't say I enjoy being frozen. I'm aware it's colder than planet Hoth, an I'm more or less willing to deal with it. Chris's father says he can help me find construction work, and possibly even train to be an electrician/ different trade.

Another consideration is this: My friend's dad seems to think that even though I have no degree, my extensive university experience will do something for me as far as helping me find employment above that available to a high school graduate. What do you all think about this?

Thank you in advance for any insight into my situation, and if you made it this far, thanks for reading my huge post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
Hello all. A little background on me before my question:

I'm 24, from Illinois, and have spent the last six years in Kentucky going to school, moving from dept. to dept. I have over 100 credit hours in two basic areas (journalism and OSH). I took a break at the end of spring '12, planning to take the fall off, live at home with the folks, and return the next spring. Well, this hasn't happened, and I'm pretty damn burnt out on school. I want to live, and I don't want to live here with my parents. It's driving me insane. It's a shame to throw all those credits out, but I believe they're good for five years, so they could be (and I plan on it) salvaged at a later date, in another school.

My best friend and former roommate in Kentucky is in a similar boat, and his father has suggested we could both find a nice paying job up in ND where he's currently working and living. He says the economy is much stronger up there (not least of all contributable to the oil boom), and even lowly positions such as McDonald's and Wal-Mart pay numbers twice what we see in IL or KY. I will say those are NOT the type of work I'm looking for, but its just an example. Wages up there are nice compared to the rest of the country in any job. My friend's father apparently has some hookups in construction work, where the wages will be more agreeable, and he also has a room to rent us until we can find something else. After doing a bit of research on the idea of just packing my stuff and starting off, I've come up with this list of pros and cons:

Pros:
-Literally more jobs are available than housing.
-Jobs pay well up there.
-It's a place to go to get the hell out of my parents' house. (I have little/zero savings.)
-I'm an outdoorsy person, and coming from southern IL, ND could be pretty cool, with some different wildlife than I'm used to.

Cons:
-Winters there could be a new definition of pain and suffering.
-More jobs than there are places to live. (We don't want to live with his dad any longer than necessary, and are planning on cohabitating both to save money, and to not get so depressed we kill ourselves.)
-I've heard that if you aren't religious, it can be hard to find social activities/fit in.

Like I said, I am of the outdoorsy type, and have grown up on a farm. Some environmental discomfort won't make me melt like butter, but I won't say I enjoy being frozen. I'm aware it's colder than planet Hoth, an I'm more or less willing to deal with it. Chris's father says he can help me find construction work, and possibly even train to be an electrician/ different trade.

Another consideration is this: My friend's dad seems to think that even though I have no degree, my extensive university experience will do something for me as far as helping me find employment above that available to a high school graduate. What do you all think about this?

Thank you in advance for any insight into my situation, and if you made it this far, thanks for reading my huge post.

Hi there I live in the opposite end of the state....in the Red River valley region --- Grand Forks ND/East Grand Forks MN. But I wanted to chime in as I do think construction might be the way to go esp if you have some contacts. I do know in most cities builders have way more work than they have people to help build... Now Dickinson is way over in the southwest part of the state and is in the warmer region typically (compared to Grand Forks anyhow).... and I know least about that area....but I do know locally they are hiring construction workers and homes are built in the winter too.

I also wanted to chime in that I grew up very close it seems to where you are from. I am from western Kentucky near the Illinois/Indiana border region...a bit south of Evansville Indiana. Madisonville to be exact. I do find the bottom part of the cons...about religion to be the opposite of southern Illinois/KY -- I find religion down there to be way more important than in North Dakota in terms of social aspects and in general I have found North Dakotans are more open to others not of their religion....at least compared to what I ran into growing up in the south.

Good luck

Dan

Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, Dan.

I need more replies, folks! Surely there are more than a couple North Dakotians (?) here?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,722,778 times
What is OSH? If it is Occupational Safety and Health, there are a number of oil service companies that would likely be interested in talking with you.

There are a number of back office positions in the oil field that want educated people with computer skills (but not necessarily the degree) for things like inventory control, buying agents, logistics, etc.

In smaller retail (fast food as an example), there is more opportunity for a person like you to move up to a store's top position rather than work as on the "front lines", just due to the new laborers pouring in oftentimes not having your educational background. Results are more important than degrees, but a certain level of academic, communication, and computer skills are often critical to getting a job done.

Dickinson is the banana belt of ND: a lot more sun and less warmth, especially in the winter.

Last edited by fourwinds; 07-11-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
What is OSH? If it is Occupational Safety and Health, there are a number of oil service companies that would likely be interested in talking with you.

There are a number of back office positions in the oil field that want educated people with computer skills (but not necessarily the degree) for things like inventory control, buying agents, logistics, etc.

In smaller retail (fast food as an example), there is more opportunity for a person like you to move up to a store's top position rather than work as on the "front lines", just due to the new laborers pouring in oftentimes not having your educational background. Results are more important than degrees, but a certain level of academic, communication, and computer skills are often critical to getting a job done.

Dickinson is the banana belt of ND: a lot more sun and less warmth, especially in the winter.
It is Occupational Safety and Health, but I did not graduate, and there is a reason: I was not passionate about it at all. If/when I return to salvage what credits I can, it isn't likely I'll pursue a career in OSH.

My main strength is being able to communicate well. I'm a good writer.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,977 times
In the interest of saving time, I'm going to quote myself from a different thread regarding your question about employment. It sounds like you have a good lead, but it never hurts to see what opportunities area available to you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyRiverMan View Post
You should be able to find job opportunities by looking online. A lot of companies that operate in North Dakota use online listings or their own website to post jobs. There's also BisManOnline - Free Classifieds, which I used to find my first job when I moved here from Wisconsin. They have a separate category on the site for employment listings and you can also post for work wanted, which was pretty helpful for me.
In any case, DaninEGF is right in his comparison between religion up here versus in the southern states. Regarding winter, well, I'm originally from Wisconsin, and I've lived here about 7 years, so I know what cold is. The nice thing is that winter here isn't as humid as it is in most places, which means the cold doesn't chill you to the bone. It's the wind chill you have to think about. Even with a 10mph breeze/wind, any exposed skin will get chapped and chilled in a hurry. The appropriate winter apparel is something I'd suggest, unless you plan on being laid off during the winter months and go out only to fetch the mail! If you have any specific questions about the winter weather here, feel free to ask further.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Well guys,

You can't make this up... The renter called an hour before my departure and told me I can't move in because I'm not a christian.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-20-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted image.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,100 times
what? was this a room in someone's house? had you signed a contract? so sorry

Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes, it was in a residence. It was my best friend's father, and there was no contract at this point. Oh well. I probably dodged an artillery shell anyway.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM

The phone call ended with the usual condescending "I'll pray for you" as well. Most places are more expensive than this place. I'm not sure what to do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota