Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,900 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dan! We have definitely heard MANY comments and received a lot of ribbing about the weather we are going to be experiencing We did live in Northern Japan for a while though, and are used to quite a bit of snow (there were days we would wake up to snow that came up to the door handles of our car, no exaggerating) and they did not plow the roads there so everything turned to ice pretty quickly. There was some wind, although not as much as ND. I think the mountains did have a tendency to break up the more severe windy days and so we will have to get used to the blowing snow drifts and just be sure to have some good tires and breaks on our vehicles. One of the first things on my checklist of things to do is to get emergency kits for the cars. Do you know if they sell entire kits anywhere or if it's better to buy things individually. I'll worry about my husband driving to work during the winter so I want to make sure he is prepared just in case. I'd rather be safe than sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket620 View Post
Thanks Dan! We have definitely heard MANY comments and received a lot of ribbing about the weather we are going to be experiencing We did live in Northern Japan for a while though, and are used to quite a bit of snow (there were days we would wake up to snow that came up to the door handles of our car, no exaggerating) and they did not plow the roads there so everything turned to ice pretty quickly. There was some wind, although not as much as ND. I think the mountains did have a tendency to break up the more severe windy days and so we will have to get used to the blowing snow drifts and just be sure to have some good tires and breaks on our vehicles. One of the first things on my checklist of things to do is to get emergency kits for the cars. Do you know if they sell entire kits anywhere or if it's better to buy things individually. I'll worry about my husband driving to work during the winter so I want to make sure he is prepared just in case. I'd rather be safe than sorry!
You can buy winter emergency kits I think in auto stores or in places like Walmart or Target. I dont know what they would have. We just carry matches, candles and extra blankets. We do have AAA and it is very beneficial, well worth the 100 or so dollars we pay for two people.

We certainly dont have the snow like northern Japan. We are in a much drier climate in the winter and our snow most of the time is quite fluffy and blows around a lot. So more common than not is out of town blizzards, where the winds pick up the snow on the ground and creates ground blizzard conditions. Wind also causes drifting and that is what we shovel more than actual snow. Often the case snowblow from a snow event, then the wind will hit in 12 hours behind the system then re-do all over. It is colder here and wind is a factor with wind chills in the-15 to -30 quite common and nothing unusual. But extreme cold temperatures such as below -30F doesnt occur every winter....but -20F does. Usually extreme cold patterns with highs zero to 10 below and lows 20 to 30 below will not last more than a few days before it warms up into the teens or maybe 20s for highs. You can get above freezing between Christmas day and Valentines Day....but doesnt last long. Our climate in the valley is colder than say Bismarck and points west and certainly colder than the Twin Cities. Many folks have auto-starters, which are nice as you can start your car to warm it up before while still in the store, etc. Those that must park outside for long peroids often will have plug ins....but I have noticed lately that most newer cars if you have a good battery they will start (though may struggle) unless parked outside for days at a time.

And each winter is variable....some winters overall mild by our standards....some the cold lasts longer. But in most years you can expect a least a few inches of snow on the ground between Thanksgiving and mid March. Rivers and lakes freeze over and ice fishing is quite popular, esp at Devils Lake about 1 1/2 hours west of town.

Also in very cold weather....the snow is quite dry and crunch and much easier to drive on than that slushy wet snow stuff. The city uses lots of sand....esp at intersections....sometimes a sand/bromine mix.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM

Here is a youtube clip of probably our strongest blizzard last winter in Feb

Blizzard in Grand Forks, North Dakota (2-18-2013) - YouTube

Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM

A bit more typical ground blizzard. But this was taken on the edge of town and thus a bit worse than in town with more structures to stop the snow.

Grand Forks Blizzard 3/18/2013 - YouTube

Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 PM

93 posts, read 169,658 times
People have been happy to tell us the worst about winter weather, but so far, it's the heat that's been killing us (97 degrees/100% humidity last week...). If you're coming in October, it won't be so much of an issue, but just keep in mind that in August, you will want at least a window AC unit!!

I haven't done the ND winter yet, but we've lived in a variety of cold and snowy places. I'd much rather do the very cold snow than the kind that melts and refreezes to solid ice!! At least, in my experience, it makes for safer driving/walking...

Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer7 View Post
People have been happy to tell us the worst about winter weather, but so far, it's the heat that's been killing us (97 degrees/100% humidity last week...). If you're coming in October, it won't be so much of an issue, but just keep in mind that in August, you will want at least a window AC unit!!

I haven't done the ND winter yet, but we've lived in a variety of cold and snowy places. I'd much rather do the very cold snow than the kind that melts and refreezes to solid ice!! At least, in my experience, it makes for safer driving/walking...
Yep so true..... snowfall at temps around 30-33 is the worst....slushy then re-freezing at night.... much better to have snowfall at 10 or lower....it is dry and allows for much better traction. Definitely AC....to me it is a must as a heat fan I am not. I survive the summer to live for the winter. I often get chatised about that

Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm a cold weather girl myself, whereas my husband would love nothing more than to hang out in a place like Phoenix in 110 degree heat playing golf LOL! It will definitely take him some getting used to, but as for me, I love the smell of the air outside when it's super cold and feels like its going to bite your nose off

We are planning on buying a truck when we get there as we currently only have one vehicle. We have an SUV and I plan on getting a remote starter installed, having synthetic oil put in, and the tires replaced just so we are prepared for winter driving. Those videos are the days when it's time to just stay inside and curl up with a hot drink and a good book I think!

We love to do outdoorsy things like camping, hiking and fishing (although we have never done ice fishing). What types of fish are available to catch around there? I'm used to catching trout, crappie, bluegill and my all time favorites blue and shovelhead catfish. Usually the catfish would be done at a pay-lake and thrown back, it was more for the fun of spending 30 minutes trying to reel in a 20-35 pound fish that made it exciting. Not sure if they would have anything like that out there. My husband likes to snowboard and ski, but I know the closest place to do that is a few hours away so that will be a little trip for us in the wintertime. How is the summertime camping out there at Devils Lake and Turtle River State Park? Is there a lot to do there? I used to go camping at some of the state parks up in Ohio and they had horseback riding, canoeing and boat rentals there so I'm hoping those options are available as well. I love canoeing!

We plan on using the greenway a lot in the summer to do some bike riding and rollerblading, and we will definitely be hitting up every golf course in GF! I love that GF has those options available. Most places you have to worry about someone running you over on your bike so it's a relief there is somewhere to go walking/riding that's safe. I also see there's a farmers market in the summertime which I love! I know there's probably a lot of people who complain about GF not having a lot of shopping/dining options, but from what I've seen, they have a TON of stuff. After being overseas for so long, I would love nothing more than to find a store that stays open after 7PM, and a gas station that is open all day.

My two favorite holidays that I have missed so much since being overseas have been Halloween and Christmas (I know Halloween isn't technically a holiday but you know what I mean). I love fall in general, so I'm hoping that GF does all of the pumpkin patches, and haunted houses/trails, anything that is traditional for fall/harvest time. And Christmas is not complete without decorations and that Christmassy (is that a word?) feel. Not the commercialized Christmas, but anything where they may decorate the square and have carolers, sleigh rides, etc..? Can you all tell I'm a big kid at heart

I know it will be a while before we figure GF out, how to get through the winters, where to find everything, etc.. but I think we'll be okay. Like anyplace, it is what you make of it, and I'm all for being in a place where I don't have to worry about my car getting stolen or my house getting broken into. Of course we would take the usual precautions, but not as much worry as we would have being in a place like Las Vegas or some other large city.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'm a cold weather girl myself, whereas my husband would love nothing more than to hang out in a place like Phoenix in 110 degree heat playing golf LOL! It will definitely take him some getting used to, but as for me, I love the smell of the air outside when it's super cold and feels like its going to bite your nose off

We are planning on buying a truck when we get there as we currently only have one vehicle. We have an SUV and I plan on getting a remote starter installed, having synthetic oil put in, and the tires replaced just so we are prepared for winter driving. Those videos are the days when it's time to just stay inside and curl up with a hot drink and a good book I think!

We love to do outdoorsy things like camping, hiking and fishing (although we have never done ice fishing). What types of fish are available to catch around there? I'm used to catching trout, crappie, bluegill and my all time favorites blue and shovelhead catfish. Usually the catfish would be done at a pay-lake and thrown back, it was more for the fun of spending 30 minutes trying to reel in a 20-35 pound fish that made it exciting. Not sure if they would have anything like that out there. My husband likes to snowboard and ski, but I know the closest place to do that is a few hours away so that will be a little trip for us in the wintertime. How is the summertime camping out there at Devils Lake and Turtle River State Park? Is there a lot to do there? I used to go camping at some of the state parks up in Ohio and they had horseback riding, canoeing and boat rentals there so I'm hoping those options are available as well. I love canoeing!

We plan on using the greenway a lot in the summer to do some bike riding and rollerblading, and we will definitely be hitting up every golf course in GF! I love that GF has those options available. Most places you have to worry about someone running you over on your bike so it's a relief there is somewhere to go walking/riding that's safe. I also see there's a farmers market in the summertime which I love! I know there's probably a lot of people who complain about GF not having a lot of shopping/dining options, but from what I've seen, they have a TON of stuff. After being overseas for so long, I would love nothing more than to find a store that stays open after 7PM, and a gas station that is open all day.

My two favorite holidays that I have missed so much since being overseas have been Halloween and Christmas (I know Halloween isn't technically a holiday but you know what I mean). I love fall in general, so I'm hoping that GF does all of the pumpkin patches, and haunted houses/trails, anything that is traditional for fall/harvest time. And Christmas is not complete without decorations and that Christmassy (is that a word?) feel. Not the commercialized Christmas, but anything where they may decorate the square and have carolers, sleigh rides, etc..? Can you all tell I'm a big kid at heart

I know it will be a while before we figure GF out, how to get through the winters, where to find everything, etc.. but I think we'll be okay. Like anyplace, it is what you make of it, and I'm all for being in a place where I don't have to worry about my car getting stolen or my house getting broken into. Of course we would take the usual precautions, but not as much worry as we would have being in a place like Las Vegas or some other large city.
Hi there.....you will do just fine here. I love your attitude. For someone who has to move around a lot attitude about new places and adventures and being open to them is such a key. You can hate just about anyplace if you set your mind to it.

Our family loves camping at Turtle River SP...it is a few miles west of the air base about 20 min or so from town. It is on the western edge of the red river valley....where there is some terrain. The Turtle River runs through the park and it has lots of trees and picnic areas and very quiet locations and many hiking paths that you can get lost on....that goes through different vegetation such as from forests to prairie back to forests. The campground is nice with several choices and there are a few cabins as well. They do have activities for young kids usually Fri eve or Sat eve in the ampitheatre. They do stock the turtle river with trout each spring and there are turtle river days in June where admittance is free and they have fishing classes for kids. Our kids have won tackle boxes each year. They are no boat rentals/horse trails that I know of there. Fort Ransom SP down south of Valley City ND does have horse trails I know and also you can rent canoes and go for long canoe rides along the Sheyenne River. Ft Ransom is quite scenic too. Voyageurs View near Red Lake Falls MN (about 45 min east of GF) is a place that offers tubing along the Red Lake River....they will drop you off and pick you up at certain points. It can be more of a young people's party place though. This year the flow on the river wasnt enough to keep it open much.

Woodland Resort at Devils Lake is I think one of the top places to camp at Devils Lake. You can also hire fishing guides that will take you out on their boat. Devils Lake is famous for great fishing.... walleye esp.

The Red River is famous for catfish.... Drayton ND to our north has a slogan called the catfish capital of the north. There is the Cat's Incredible Fishing Tourney held in July in East Grand Forks where teams are entered.

The main pumpkin patch around here is Nelson's Pumpkin Patch out near the air base. It is a fun place. where you can pick pumpkins, go through a corn maze, and there are kid games. It is a pretty small affair, but nice. They are others I am sure throughout the region, but that is the only one locally I know about personally. But if you search you might find some close by in Minnesota.

The GF Park District puts on Christmas Village for two weekends in early December...with horse drawn carriage rides, and inside the Lincoln Park Clubhouse there are children art projects, etc. Very busy place for kids. But they have the sleighs and cider for parents, and of course Santa and Mrs Clause and elves.

We used to have a nightime Christmas parade....but there hasnt been one for many years....just too darn cold many times. GF main parade is the Potato Bowl parade held in early Sept is conjuction with the Potato Bowl football game that UND plays in. Simplot puts on the world's largest french fry feed in University Park the Thursday eve of the Potato Bowl week, which is coming up this first week of Sept.

I know you can rent cross country skis and provided there is a good snow base the city does groom certain trails through Lincoln Park. With all the wind we have....sometimes hard to get a solid several inch base down for good cross country skiing.

The nearest snowboarding/ski place is Frost Fire up in the Pembina Gorge near Walhalla. Speaking of that area....Icelandic SP just west of Cavalier is a great fun place for camping with a lake (there because of a dam) and a beach and other nice things to do. There are many great parks in MN too.....Lake Bronson near Hallock MN is great with a swimming place. Then there are tons of places over by Bemidji-Park Rapids (about 2 hours east) with lots and lots of bike trails and quaint towns for shopping, around Walker and other places.

Now I havent dont all the above....but most. But just dont have the time to do everything I may want.

There was an article in the GF Herald about how tough it is in many fields for employers to find workers. Trucking, construction, anything medical, and your general retail is in high demand. Many argue though that ND has lower wages than similar jobs in other states in some industries. i do know in Minnesota those working as waitresses/waiters, are paid the min wage plus tips....while in ND they are not paid min wage as the tips are said to make up the difference. ND is a right to work state and less unionized versus Minnesota.

Low unemployment makes hiring a hard job for some firms | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

But of course Grand Forks isnt perfect, and as the college kids arrive (UND has just over 15k) you have your little troubles here and there.....but overall not a place you have to worry too much. There are no areas of town I would avoid per se.....we dont have organized gangs thankfully....or that stuff....but some wannabes here and there.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 AM

Talk about complete disappointment! I was waiting on pictures from the rental company for the place on Columbia before sending the deposit. Instead, I received an email stating the place had been rented :/ I repeatedly asked for pictures and was told I would have them in a couple of days, they were just waiting on coordinating with the current tenants. I have to admit, I'm pretty frustrated right now and that's not an easy point to get me to! So... long story short, if anyone has any leads on a possible place to rent that accepts pets could you send me a private message? Just if you're out and about and maybe see a listing on a board somewhere? I've looked EVERYWHERE and am having no luck. November timeframe is what we're looking at. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Talk about complete disappointment! I was waiting on pictures from the rental company for the place on Columbia before sending the deposit. Instead, I received an email stating the place had been rented :/ I repeatedly asked for pictures and was told I would have them in a couple of days, they were just waiting on coordinating with the current tenants. I have to admit, I'm pretty frustrated right now and that's not an easy point to get me to! So... long story short, if anyone has any leads on a possible place to rent that accepts pets could you send me a private message? Just if you're out and about and maybe see a listing on a board somewhere? I've looked EVERYWHERE and am having no luck. November timeframe is what we're looking at. Thanks!
I will keep an eye.... it is quite difficult to find housing with pets.... keep checking elite and oxford websites even craiglist (even though be careful) But I do check listings regularly because I like too and will keep you in mind.

Would you accept apartment that takes pets???? Or pretty much need a duplex/house type. I say apartments....because there are several new ones I know of that do allow pets. South Point apartments south of Target I drive by all the time and they are new and I do see folks with small dogs. How big is your pet/dog/cat....how many?

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota