Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 8,643 times

Advertisements

It is awesome wages in the Oil Fields. My husband drove a crude oil truck in ND for about 2 yrs until he came home sick and he had H2S toxic poisoning that there is no cure and he is not in good shape at all, so if we had known this was going to happen he would of never went. It took a year for us to find a doctor that could diagnose him because H2S will not show up in any medical test at all and if you don't go see a doctor within 48 hrs of exposure it won't show up in your blood. So if any of you have dizzy, headaches, muscle aches, loss of memory please see about this as soon as you can, if you can catch it quicker my husband doctor in Ca says he can sometimes turn it around with the medicine, my husband takes it too but do to his age and the time it took us to get help all we can hope for is him to be somewhat stable on a every day basis, not a day goes by that he is in constant pain, headaches, not able to walk without a assistance. It is sad. I would like to put my email address out her for anyone that would like to know more about what I have researched or is having them symtoms I would love to hear from you, the doctor and I are trying to reach people that has been exposed and having these symtoms to get them help before it is too late. Please email me at terridarri2003@aol.com Please feel free to send me a email and I will do everything to help you get the info you need for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
How do you think he was exposed to it?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 PM

He was exposed to it on a daily basis due to him loading his truck and then unloading it, when he would go to load it he would have to go to the top of the tank and test the oil to see if it good enough to buy and when he would uncover it to do that, the H2S would hit him and a couple of times it was so strong it brought him to his knees and not knowing it could have long term damage he wasn't aware of what he was feeling up there prior to 6-8 mos before coming home that this is what was causing his symtoms. You are basically taught it will either kill you instantly or it will just knock you down for a bit then as soon as you get fresh air you will be fine and this is definately not the case and hoping there is many that can get help with these symtoms that the reg physicians can't figure out what is wrong with them in the earlier stages so maybe they can live a better healthy life than my husband is having now.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I am not doubting you, but I wonder why we haven't heard of this before now. Are others being effected by this? I am sure that your husband was not unique in his job, I mean, there must be others that are performing the same operations.

Can this be prevented by a surgical mask, or resperator? Has your husband brought this to the attention of OSHA or whatever safety organizations govern those operations?

This is a very serious problem and needs to be addressed so that others don't end up the way your husband did. I am very sorry to hear that your husband is going through this. Is workman's comp or the company doing anything to attempt to make this right?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM

454 posts, read 940,367 times
My husband does the same thing daily, loads and unloads sour crude, been doing it now for 9 years. He wears a respirator when he's testing the oil. Just recently some regs have changed, it used to be at the well they only needed to wear the respirator and could test by themselves, but some wells have such a high H2S concentration that there needs to be 2 people present for safety. Good luck to you and your husband, glad you found a Dr. that is able to help in some way.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Oil Patch Code Blue: Beautiful Man « Black Gold Boom

This is one case of many, this is very sad, I am thankful I still have my husband but his every day life really isn't fair to him, we need to get involved more deeper to help others out there that is experiencing the same things and can't figure out what is wrong with them or reach out and educate workers the possibilities of what can happen to you working in these fields.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
This is really sad and unfortunate. I hope you do contact OSHA and an attorney. Did they not ever advise him to wear a respirator ? Please let us know how he is doing. I am concerned and interested.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM

The only respirator that was available was the ones at the bottom of the well, they were told that if they get a big whiff of it when testing it from the top and feel dizzy to get some fresh air then go back and finish.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
That is what they used to tell us in the 1970's, there has got to be more safety than that now. Check into it better and good luck with a lawyer.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
This compound (H2S) has been covered adequately by the government's mandated MSDS sheets, why aren't workers warned? I guess the MSDS system of safety warning has not been taken seriously by enough employers not to mention the unbelievable level of ignorance on the part of workers. Take note all of you that plan to go to work in the oil patches of Wyo, Mt, and N Dakota, read AND understand ALL MSDS warnings about the stuff you will work with, your employer is supposed to give you the training to do this, ASK QUESTIONS, don't be afraid to speak up if you feel you aren't protected enough..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: