Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,530 times

Advertisements

I need some help, please. We currently live in east central Illinois, don't recommend it. It's expensive here, gas is over $3.00/gallon, a loaf of bread is $1.07, our electricity is almost $200.00/month due to the 10 year rate freeze that just expired, there are no jobs to be had, crime is unbelievable, people are rude in general, I could go on. The point is, we are willing to move and we need direction. It is me, my husband, and our 1 year old baby. We both love the snow and adverse weather, that's not a problem. We just need jobs. He was a plumbing apprentice and was let go in late October out of the blue due to lack of work. He wants to work, he is the best worker you will ever find. He really enjoyed plumbing. I stay home with the baby for now, but have always done office work. We don't need a million dollars we just need enough to live on. We want somewhere that people are friendly, and not rude. We want a safe neighborhood and good schools. Can anyone tell me the following two things...everyone says that new construction is booming in Bismarck, is anyone hiring a plumbing apprentice? And also, I need to know if there is healthcare available for children. In Illinois, all children are provided with healthcare and if you are under a certain income level, the whole family can be on the card. We are not a welfare family, this is the only help we get and we have to have coverage for at least our daughter. Can anyone please help me? We are under so much stress and I read such wonderful things about Bismarck, it almost sounds like Pleasantville! Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
#1 Today, 04:33 PM
MikeyToo
Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2007
103 posts, read 22,420 times

Can I Get Some Help, Please?

This is a reply from MikeyToo that I copied and pasted and moved to your thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a consideration for North Dakota is a good thing. If your hard working and enjoy wide-open spaces, it just might be the place for you. I would not limit my search only to Bismarck. Yes, it would be on top of my list of places to live, but there are other great places in NoDak too. Williston is doing great because of oil. I'm only guessing, but I think plumbing experience would be a good thing if your working for an oil company. Also, good family values still seem to be around in areas of the mid-west. Since I presently live in CA, but will be moving back to NoDak next spring, I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that can help you better than me. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents...)
Hope you find what your looking for. Its still a big country out there and still plenty of good people to go around.

[+] Rate this post positively

MikeyToo
View Public Profile
Send a direct message to MikeyToo
Find all posts by MikeyToo
Add MikeyToo to Your Buddy List

Last edited by Jammie; 11-23-2007 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: giving credit to where it's due

Old 11-23-2007, 09:08 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
I would imagine your husband would have no problem getting a job just about anywhere in ND as long as he is a hard worker (at least in the major cities).

I live in Jamestown (between Fargo and Bismarck). I have a friend who works for a HVAC / plumbing company. I will check with him and post if they need someone.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 AM

11 posts, read 36,823 times
The West half of the state is booming in constuction. Bismark is good but Dickinson or Willison would be your best bet. You can not get a plumber here to save your life!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota