Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 PM

58 posts, read 83,483 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocation to ND in the hope of finding entry-level office work. I don't think oilfield towns are a very good bet for me due to the housing shortages. What are the pros and cons of Bismarck vs. Fargo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 AM

65 posts, read 117,408 times
Bismarck:
-Warmer (but it's all relative)
-More scenic (proximity to Badlands is nice)
-More expensive
-Potential for stronger wage growth given state capital and proximity to Bakken
-More friendly (in my opinion)
-Slightly longer daylight in the evening
-Less humid during summer
-More hailstorms.

Fargo:
-Larger city yields more diverse shopping options.
-More traffic
-Larger university (events, athletics)
-Proximity to larger metro area (Twin Cities ~4hrs away, Winnipeg ~3hrs)
-Flatter than flat (dull in my opinion)
-Abundant housing
-Wage growth less impressive.
-More cultural diversity.
-Can get quite muggy during summer.
-Mosquitoes galore.
-Flood prone area. (Most of city protected but outside chance still there)

Fargo probably has more office type work but odds are it generally pays less than Bismarck. The flip side is the city is cheaper to live in. I'd personally shoot for Bismarck since I think the people are more friendly and the surrounding area is far more scenic (by North Dakota standards). Fargo residents are still a nice lot but there is some Prozac or something in western ND water as people seem more chipper out west.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
F2tornado covered it well. Bismarck area is more scenic with some hills along the Missouri and overall terrain is more rolling. Area to the west of the Missouri is more rangeland and high Plains prairie and is close to the badlands. Bismarck has been growing fast over the past several years and adding a third high school. I have never lived there nor visited there much, but always heard good things about it. We had a family on our street move there and his line of work is landscaping and he felt Bismarck overall had better weather and more places for people to get out and walk/bike.

Fargo is the larger metro and as mentioned has several 4 yr colleges and thus an overall younger population and more diverse and a big selling point to some is closeness to Minnesota lakes country (1 hr east) and closeness to the Twin Cities. Fargo's economy is bigger overall due to a larger metro, but I think lately Bismarck growth is a bit more. That said Fargo housing and gas prices are usually the lowest in the state and apartment availability is much easier due to more choices.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM

58 posts, read 83,483 times
Thanks for the info guys. How hard is it to get an apartment in Bismsrck?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,568 times
Check out Jamestown

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 49,823 times
Easy to rent an apt in Bismarck, also easy to purchase a home with decent credit. There are low or no down payment loans available. But the best reason to move to Bismarck is not just the job opportunities, it is the largest medical community between Minneapolis and Seattle. There are the best schools and retail. Many diverse restaurants, and entertainment.
Many retirees move here because our doctors still take medicare and provide the best care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota