Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM

20 posts, read 46,433 times

Advertisements

interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 6,787 times
Default ditto..but in the future

It was August of 08'...I, with my 5 member family, (not including 3 cats, two dogs and one guppy) were finally at the point in my career where we were afforded the opportunity to stop stumbling in the red and start operating in the black. I had several prospective "big time" clients ready to sign their names to start buying my product....Then AIG happened. To make a long story short, in the next three years, we lost everything from our house to our health...even my marriage. There's something to be said about 'stopping and smelling the roses' cause you never know when you'll be the one pushing them up. Through all this, the Lord never let me reach the point of no return...apparently He felt I had others to live for and goals to achieve. I know I may be preaching to the quire (borderline whining) but I didn't take my last paycheck and move my family out here to North Dakota in the middle of winter just to play in the snow. I stated all this to underscore the desperation of the time.
I am very appreciative of you sharing your experiences because it confirms the path that I have laid out for myself and am WELL underway in completing. My wife and kids now have jobs and I will have my CDL in the Spring. I intend to head for the 'wild west' that is western North Dakota and have almost completed my plans for housing and subsistence..I am pretty confident in attaining them.
Don't get me wrong...I am a somewhat cautious 'Pollyanna' who knows that if you come out here with a 'serendipitous' type attitude you will either freeze to death, be eaten alive or both.
Ok so the 'eaten alive' part was a bit over the top but I put it in there for a reason. You stated (I'm paraphrasing) that those who seem to be the most successful were the ones who were in their later years in life, who had families and because of that, instead of wasting their money or going out and buying a new toy, were much more driven in their pursuit of success (you could input my name anywhere in that statement and not skip a beat). I think it would be pretty accurate to assume that failure was NOT an option. This now is the mindset I have, coupled with walking with the Lord and has once more been confirmed by your post. I KNOW I am heading in the right direction.
Your advice on how we should treat others was spot on..for the principals that you are referring to are contained in this one verse, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the profits." Matt. 6:12
Once again I'd like to thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom. In parting, I would like to leave you with this little gem of truth:...
"May God give back to you TWICE what you wish and do for someone else."
I'll be around.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Great posts in this thread!

My husband has worked in the oil and gas industry for three decades. Currently he's working as a consultant up in WV and PA but he has worked all over the world. I agree, and he would agree, with just about everything the OP has stated.

It's very hard work but can be very lucrative. Not for the weak or faint of heart, and certainly not for anyone who feels that the world, or "da man" owes them a damn thing. But if you can take the physical demands of the job, you can make a great living, for yourself and for your family.

One thing I've noticed, from the spouse's perspective, is that I don't know a single wife of a consultant (or "company man") who works outside the home. This is due to several things - for one thing, the consultant makes great money. But for us the main thing was that when my husband is gone for weeks at a time, when he comes home WE WANT TO BE TOGETHER. And this job allows that, without the financial worries of one spouse not working.

There are lots of good oilfield jobs out there, so I would encourage anyone who feels they are working in an unsafe environment or with a company that doesn't value safety, to look down the road for another company to tie in with. Once safety issues are addressed, oilfield work can be very rewarding.

Personally, my husband and I love those two weeks he's off every month. We do whatever we want to do...which is often absolutely nothing.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,417 times
Nice informative posts.. I live on the Eastern side of ND out by Fargo & looking to relocate west... Rolfson Oil offered me a job $18 dispatching & office work in Watford but the housing is extremely expensive $1500 for efficiency to $3000 for 2 bedroom .. is there any small family oriented towns that's cheaper in rent to commute to work & can anyone tell me other businesses that would be hiring dispatching office work.. born & raised in ND & as single mom of 2 I want to ne able to create a better life for myself & kiddos..would appreciate any respectful opinions anyone might have...I also bartend & could possibly do that too
Thank You

Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 8,356 times
To Doublebarrel:
Sir, based on your experience what type of those cottage/oil field service industries might you suggest for someone with a law degree. I know landmen sometimes have them but don't know if there are other positions that some of these companies would like to populate with someone who happens to be a lawyer. I know it's sort of an odd request but am hoping to direct my inquiries and applications with as much purpose as I can... unfortunately sometimes being "overeducated" can be a problem and I've known guys to be turned down for jobs because of the fear they will just quit when a legal job becomes available. I have a legal job with the same place of employment for almost 12 years now since I finished my 2nd year of law school with licensing in 2 states (can probably reciprocate myself in most of the others) and my firm has decent client... I'm just looking to do something different and the legal field in many places is overpopulated to the point one Boston firm was offering new hires only $10k a year and a share of business they generate last year. Sadly I'm in a state that continually vies for first or second in unemployment and where government corruption and overregulation drive down the business climate.
Having lived on a farm for part of my childhood and after that in a neighborhood with crackhouses, etc. I don't mind improving my situation a lot of hard work (though I'd prefer to find companies with a reputation for safety as those life flights don't always live up to their name) and by developing a plan to work my way up so any advice I can get from someone who has done that would be greatly appreciated. My initial question above is based on the fact that while I don't mind not practicing law it is an unusual credential to offer an employer and I'd like to make the most of it. (I may start a thread on that later but am thankful for your thoughts on the subject now.
Thanks in advance for any help you or anyone else can give and have a nice day.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
One thing I'll caution is that some places don't look kindly on someone changing jobs every 6 months. Maybe its ok on the drilling side but if your a supplier it may be curtains for your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota