Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 23,478 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband has been working in the Watford City area for 3 years now, but we live in WY. His commutes were working for us for a while, but now that we have a little one the distance is tearing our family apart. So we decided to take a plunge and move closer to his work. The thing is we are a one income family and despite the general misconception my husband's income is not that high. In 2013 he brought home about 66K.

We thought about buying, but not sure we want to make a permanent commitment just yet. We would like to rent for a few months first. The thing is its hard to find rental properties online, not to mention most have no price listed. Ideally we need 3 bedrooms, but could do 2. We need the necessities, but don't necessarily need the luxuries or recent updates. Ideally we would like a house, but would be willing to give a condo or even an apartment a try. We would welcome any advice as far as reasonable living accommodations in Watford City and neighboring communities along with any other advice on moving, settling in, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM

83 posts, read 114,751 times
Last time I passed by Watford, which was about a month ago, I saw several condominiums being built with plywood already up. I think they are aiming for a summer completion. I live in Minot which is 2hrs away and there are plenty of houses here. That's all I know about Watford besides it being extremely hard to find a house. Most residents there live in a trailer. Maybe consider buying a nice RV? Because, finding a lot in a trailer-camp for an RV is easier than finding a house in that area.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM

142 posts, read 417,410 times
I live in Buffalo Hills, a new development just east of Watford. My husband had affordable company housing but since we plan to be there till he retires we decided to purchase a home instead of throwing money out on rent. With rents so ridiculously high, I've never regretted buying.
Feel free to message me. I hope you enjoy Watford. We love it there!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Is your husbands employer willing to help? Many employers are willing to provide some rental assistance for a short time while you find something permanent.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 23,478 times
Thanks guys. I don't think my husband's employer will pitch in. They just built a man camp for the guys, but of course a family can not stay there. We will be renting out our house here to help pay for rent down there, but it will not be more than $1000 a month. We are willing to look at neighboring cities and towns to bring the cost down but not even sure which direction to venture out to.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
I would agree with not staying in a man-camp if you have little ones. Most people in the camps are just fine but even 1 bad hire (usually a rig-worker or trucker with no oilfield experience) causes enough trouble to where I would not kids around.

There's not much for "neighboring cities and towns". I would say more like small towns and hamlets. The last I checked, and it was a while ago, there was nothing in Arnegard and Grassy Butte for rent. Alexander might have some trailers. Johnson's Corner is basically a truck stop and a water hauling firm. I think your best bet is to try and stay in Watford. The next major location with rentals would either be Williston, Dickinson or possibly Sidney, MT.

Have you considered the extended stay rates at The Roosevelt or Teddy's? They may be more than the apartment rental quotations but you will have a maid service available.

Good Luck!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
Hi guys I have a 3 year old and we are african american. My family is thinking of making a move to watford. Whats the african american population like?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 AM

142 posts, read 417,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyIndian View Post
Hi guys I have a 3 year old and we are african american. My family is thinking of making a move to watford. Whats the african american population like?
One of my best friends in Watford is African American. His job has him traveling a lot but when he's in town he stays at our home. According to him, the only challenge he's faced is getting a good haircut.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM

360 posts, read 811,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyIndian View Post
My best friend (he's White) lives in Tioga and I stayed with him and his family when I lived in ND. I'm African American and I can tell you that there are VERY few Blacks in NW North Dakota. If you are seeking "Black culture" you are going to have to go to the Twin Cities in Minnesota, and if you want a haircuts/styling you are going to have to travel to Minot (there's an Air Force base there and some Blacks) or Bismarck about 2.5 hours away.

While you aren't going to run into a great deal of overt racism (in fact, Native Americans actually have it much harder up there than African Americans do) you may find that people aren't used to you and you may get the " I like basketball,Eddie Murphy, Jay-Z" type of conversations you'll have in other places where there aren't many of us. And your child will certainly stand out because while I say several obviously biracial children around Watford/Tioga/ Williston, I don't remember having seen any Black children.

Then again, I would go to Regina,Canada and Bismarck on my days off, so I didn't hang around that much.

There are going to be jerks (like there are anywhere) but your family should be fine.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM

65 posts, read 117,396 times
Williston and Watford are getting more diverse by the day. People from all corners of the globe are coming here, particularly southeast Asia and western Africa. This, in addition to the influx of diverse folks from all over the US. It's kinda like a mini Staten Island out here at the moment. Kinda cool to see. The above poster is correct about not having that cultural vibe you might see in Minneapolis or Chicago but it's not like you'd be alone in these parts. Everybody gets along just fine. People are here to work and generally don't worry about petty things like skin pigment. Best of luck if you head for the Bakken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota