Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM

53 posts, read 226,434 times

Advertisements

my husband will be professionally occupied for a while this summer so the children and i have decided to make some plans to run up to the minot area to visit for a week or so. ive checked out some websites and have decided on a few places we'd like to see but i'm not interested in a tourists adventure. i'd like to know what are some things off the beaten path that we can see and do that won't make us look like too much of tourists?
we are planning on traveling within the the first three weeks of june.
are agenda so far consists of checking out the dakota square mall (the splashdown super slides), scandinavian heritage park/visitors center, Point of View winery in burlington, roosevelt park zoo, the house next door, and the peace gardens on the ND/canadian border.
for a town of their size, i was suprised to see the amount of lodgings available.
my only questions would be, 1. will our trip be within the state fair schedule?
2. where else can we make a point to stop that will appeal to 10 year old children?
we love to travel, see new things/places and do new things, explore history as well as nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alymaibra View Post
my only questions would be, 1. will our trip be within the state fair schedule?
2. where else can we make a point to stop that will appeal to 10 year old children?
we love to travel, see new things/places and do new things, explore history as well as nature.
As for 1...the state fair is in late July so you will miss that.

I have been to the Minot-Bottineau area quite a bit in the past 5 years as my wife has her family in those two areas....but boy cant think of anything other than what you already mentioned in the local area. Now...further south a bit near Washburn there is a Lewis and Clark interpretive center....but that may fit the more touristy things. Roosevelt zoo is great for your 10 year old, he/she will love it. The peace garden flowers will just start to bloom about that time....we dont plant flowers til around memorial day weekend due to possibilities of frost are too high before then.

Have fun...

Dan

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM

thanks dan, ill keep that in mind. we've yet to decide whether we plan to stay for one week or two. i guess will all depend on how much stuff we can find to do. we plan to visit some surrounding areas just to see whats around. was just wondering what else there is that we can do thats enjoyable. we do enjoy nature though as a family.

what kind of clothing should we pack for the days and evenings? how hot do the june temps average? what about nightly lows?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alymaibra View Post
thanks dan, ill keep that in mind. we've yet to decide whether we plan to stay for one week or two. i guess will all depend on how much stuff we can find to do. we plan to visit some surrounding areas just to see whats around. was just wondering what else there is that we can do thats enjoyable. we do enjoy nature though as a family.

what kind of clothing should we pack for the days and evenings? how hot do the june temps average? what about nightly lows?
June temps can vary greatly...but in the early part of the month you can still have chilly weather meaning chance for a few days with highs in the 60s and lows around 40....usually by June 1st the chance for any frost is very small but in somes years it can still occur. By about mid June on into July the weather turns noticeably warmer and usually more humid (humid meaning dew points in the 60s) with typical days in the mid 70s to mid 80s mid to late June and lows in the mid 50s to mid 60s. Warmest time of the year in mid to late July to early August when 90s are possible.

Of course as where you live....weather patterns change and since you will be here a while....I am sure you will see some rainy cooler days and warmer sunny days mixed in. I would think just bringing a light jacket would be enough for cooler days and the warmer summer clothes for hot days.

Dan

Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Again, thanks Dan. I think we've got our trip narrowed to mid june. I don't know if it's just me being all excited but I think I've convinced some friends to take the trip with us. I"ll keep the temperature advice in mind though. I appreicate it.

~Looking forward to some Fun in N.D!!~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota