Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,753 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm Kuturah-Elizabeth. I'm thinking about moving to Minot after talking to a job recruiter at Trinity Health Hospital. I am scared being that I am a single African American woman with a four year old in tow. I dearly desire change but I heard a place to live and childcare is hard to come by. I live in Memphis TN, born and raised although most of the population here beg to differ. I never felt like I belonged anyway so please chime in with any advice you would have for me. I know it gets cold. Anything other than this factor....Please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
It gets cold like you can't believe (average Jan overnight low is around 0, and weeks with a HIGH below 0 aren't uncommon). The wind on that stretch of prarie can be rough, as can the snows since it blows across the highways even when there's not a lot of accumulation. And since things don't melt, accumulation is pretty normal.

It's also rural on a scale that will boggle your mind. The south has rural towns, but Minot is out there. Nearest city of any sort is Fargo -4 hrs in good weather. Winnipeg is next, and then the Twin Cities.

I suppose race could be an issue, but it's not going to be your primary hurdle. African-Americans are only 3% of the population, but it is a college town and there's an AFB nearby.

Your big issues are going to be cost (2BR apt will run you 1500+) and even availability of housing, culture shock, and isolation. Unless they're paying you above industry median wage or there's some other distinct long-term career advantage, I'd probably pass. At the same housing price you can go to the Twin Cities, or Portland. You could rent a house in Rochester MN (Mayo Clinic) for much less.

Even in ND Grand Forks or the Fargo area would make for an easier adjustment for any southerner. If you did want to go to the rural north there's lots of other places I'd opt for. I've lived in the upper midwest and plains for over a decade, and Minot would be a hard adjustment even for me.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM

454 posts, read 937,341 times
Trinity is a dump imo. Much of the patient care areas are starting to appear very dated and old, I don't think they have redecorated/re-carpeted anything for at least 40 years. Trinity is the only hospital in Minot, so they have a stranglehold on the city of Minot and the surrounding area, unless residents want to drive to Bismarck or Fargo for medical care ( many who can DO). A typical statement made by Minot residents about Trinity is this: "If I am having a heart attack, drive me to the Garrison turn and call the hospital in Bismarck to come and get me." Guess that gives you some idea of the amount of loathing many in Minot have for Trinity.

After having been to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. a few times in the last year, I can't even find words to compare Trinity to Mayo. Rochester as a town is also much more diverse, more food choices, more entertainment choices, and I did talk to a few residents while we were there and it seemed that their housing costs were much less than here in Minot. Their weather is also more mild than Minot. If you like to give good, quality patient care, Mayo Clinic is the place for you - there are also hospitals that are connected with the clinic.

I would think long and hard about working for Trinity Health. If there is anyway possible to get some unbiased references from others who have worked for Trinity, it would be worth it. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck is all that comes to mind when I think of Trinity Health. My opinion only.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM

431 posts, read 1,600,726 times
The good and the bad. First, apartment rents have come down significantly. As more apartments being built, rental rates are dropping. As for Trinity, it is dated, but they do not have a stranglehold. We have several small medical centers now, but Trinity is the largest. In the near future, Trinity will be building a new medical facility in southwest Minot.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 AM

Thank you to all three of you for replying. I will continue to research. But I feel that research can only take me so far....

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM

75 posts, read 161,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuturahElizabeth View Post
Thank you to all three of you for replying. I will continue to research. But I feel that research can only take me so far....
Take a week and visit for yourself. I have been in Minot 2 years now and I like it.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,176 times
A factor that has not been mentioned is the difference in humidity between N D and Tenn. If you like the humidity of Tenn, you will probably not like any part of N D. Vice versa would also apply.

uh

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM

350 posts, read 567,509 times
Wow, a lot of harsh criticism of Minot in this thread. I've lived here since 2005, and am originally from Bottineau, a small town of about 2500+ an hour northeast of here. For this region, Minot is a pretty big city with lots of restaurants, recreation and places to stay, but it would probably seem dinky compared to places like Nashville or other large cities in TN. Bismarck, the state Capital, is also only a few hours south, and they're a city of 60,000+ which isn't small by any means. There's absolutely no reason you'd ever need to drive all the way to Fargo or the twin cities for anything - unless you're looking for shopping/dining alternatives or a larger sporting event/concert venue. Minot has a lot to offer now compared to when I first moved here.

As far as cost of living, for rent, you're realistically looking at anywhere from $750 to over $1500 per month for an average, 2 bedroom place. Rent has gone down a bit as a lot of new apartments and hotels went up in the last few years to accommodate the influx of people from the oil boom. Jobs are aplenty, and Trinity always seems to be hiring. I've heard a lot of complaints from locals about the quality of care at Trinity, but I've never personally had a bad experience there. The only problem I've encountered is with their billing system, but I think that's mostly fixed now. Either way, it's always easier to lose a customer with bad service than to win them back with an apology.

People were also busting on the weather, which admittedly can be rough at times. Your body pretty quickly adjusts to the lower temps, so by the spring after your first winter, you'll be sweating and throwing on some shorts and a tank-top when the temp hits 40 degrees... Seriously! Summer is beautiful and green here, with temperatures consistently in the 70s and low 80s. Summers are also fairly dry humidity-wise, so it makes them crazy comfortable. The air here is fresh and crisp, and the blue skies that melt into purple and gold sunsets in spring/summer never get old. Please check ND out if you get the chance, I think you'll enjoy it!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 PM

I'm thankful to all of you that chimed in but I want to especially thank you Dope fish for your response. It seemed to have a ray of sunshine in it. I love your description of the sky as I tend to feel overwhelmed by nature's beauty. I hope that I become great friends with optimistic people such as yourself....

Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Can anyone elaborate on childcare options please....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota