Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 PM

186 posts, read 247,487 times

Advertisements

We are a lawful Muslim family , my wife is hair covered , I consider moving to N.D

Have some questions

1- Are employers generally open to hire a qualified candidate , if he is :

Non-white (Middle eastern brown)
Non-citizen (lawful resident)
Non-native speaker (but able to communicate well )
Muslim .
His Degree and experience are obtained out of US

2- What is the city that have a lot of supply chain / procurement / Accounting /office / clerical Jobs ?

I am supply chain buyer of aircraft spares but can work in procurement in any other industry or any office / clerical jobs Or can work as entry level accountant because my major was accounting

3- What is the city that have affordable rentals and much available rentals .. I heard that some areas have a problem in rentals availability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Western North Dakota is the hardest to find a suitable living arrangement but it is also going to be the best bet for supply chain management jobs.

As far as religeous preferences, North Dakota is pretty much a live and let live State. Nobody pushes their religion and as long as you don't, you should get along fine.

I recommend you look through the Williston Sub-forum and get an idea of what you are up against for rental costs and availability.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM

93 posts, read 169,674 times
I don't know about the job question, but I see people wearing hijab around Grand Forks. There are many places of worship in town, but yes, there's very much a live and let live vibe. There's also a large university, which means people are more used to people coming from a variety of backgrounds.

Housing is always an issue in ND. I know there's building a ton of new apartments in Grand Forks, but demand still exceeds supply. If you have several older kids, apartments can be not so ideal. (I have five kids, all in school, and finding a house to rent was very difficult.)

Obviously, you have to go where the job is.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Eastern North Dakota is easier to Follow your De'en, especially Fargo or Grand Forks. Western ND is best for finding work.

Being a Muslim myself I recommend Fargo, While it will be a little more difficult to find work, it will be easier to find housing and there is a Mosque in Fargo. No Mosques in the Western part of the State. Most Muslims in Fargo are from Somalia the remainder being from Iraq and Afghanistan. Very few from other Nations.
There are only 2 actual Mosques in ND specifically used as Mosques. One is in Ross ND, a very small one that only 8 people can fit in and one in Fargo. the Fargo one is new and is quite active.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 04-13-2014 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: My Error, I called Ross, Russo

Old 04-13-2014, 02:57 PM

164 posts, read 282,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
We are a lawful Muslim family , my wife is hair covered , I consider moving to N.D

Have some questions

1- Are employers generally open to hire a qualified candidate , if he is :

Non-white (Middle eastern brown)
Non-citizen (lawful resident)
Non-native speaker (but able to communicate well )
Muslim .
His Degree and experience are obtained out of US

2- What is the city that have a lot of supply chain / procurement / Accounting /office / clerical Jobs ?

I am supply chain buyer of aircraft spares but can work in procurement in any other industry or any office / clerical jobs Or can work as entry level accountant because my major was accounting

3- What is the city that have affordable rentals and much available rentals .. I heard that some areas have a problem in rentals availability
If you are coming for job promotion or getting a job in a big corporation you cannot find in somewhere else, I think it is OK. Otherwise, I do not recommend minorities stay in ND & SD. Dakotas is not as open as California, even not as well as Alabama, what you will encounter will be endless and guys here have no experience because they are local. I know an Asian guy pursued degree in Rapid City and move out of SD only hours of graduation ceremony, he even does not want to wait for his graduation diplomas ready and ask school mail to him.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
Based on my personal observations and experience, Woodrow has it right. Fargo is your best bet.

uh

Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
If you are coming for job promotion or getting a job in a big corporation you cannot find in somewhere else, I think it is OK. Otherwise, I do not recommend minorities stay in ND & SD. Dakotas is not as open as California, even not as well as Alabama, what you will encounter will be endless and guys here have no experience because they are local. I know an Asian guy pursued degree in Rapid City and move out of SD only hours of graduation ceremony, he even does not want to wait for his graduation diplomas ready and ask school mail to him.

[Mod cut] I've lived in North Dakota for over 25 years and have never seen or heard of anyone being discriminated against for their race or religion. In fact, North Dakota has a history of not putting up with that sort of thing. North Dakotans are intelligent, educated and pleasant people to be around. If you're smart, hardworking and friendly you will get along just fine.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-15-2014 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM

65 posts, read 117,408 times
Agree with the above. I lived in Grand Forks for 10 years and don't ever recall any racial or religious shenanigans. Not to say there were zero problems but certainly not a culture of hate or discrimination. The Forks was gradually getting more diverse with time too. I'm now in Williston and there is a considerable minority population here. No shortage of southern rednecks either. Everyone gets along since everyone is here to work. Ain't nobody got time to worry about what religion you practice or what your skin color is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota