Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

As I see many people on this forum are making the move or at least considering the move to North Dakota for the oil boom, please take into account my situation. I already am reading over as much information that I can get my hands on, but still appreciate any additional insight.

I am graduating with a degree in business in May in the Netherlands (I have American citizenship). I have a Commercial Pilot License as well as manual work experience in tree removal and for a large moving company as well as started my own import business.

With all this said, I am looking for a change as I am not making much money currently and going stateside to look for a new path and have been continuously drawn to North Dakota due to the high salaries and readily available work. I am willing to go anywhere and do anything.

My current idea is to go to Bismarck and get a normal job until I can get on my feet and then start searching for more work. Also get my CDL is a very likely path while holding normal job for a couple months perhaps. I was also considering going to Minot, Fargo and then the oil boom towns such as Dickinson.

For a 25 year old recent graduate (I know what long dark winters are like, the Netherlands is further north than anywhere in the continental US), what are the best opportunities for a business major?

I have several motives: 1) build a nice saving 2) gain work experience 3) adventure 4) I enjoy the extremes in the weather.

I am extremely ambitious and a hard worker so I know there are opportunities, but I have read mixed reports on oil boom towns vs cities such as Bismarck, Fargo and even Minot.

Where, in your opinion, will I find good paying jobs that will correlate with the cost of living (williston e.g. has high cost of living, no housing but high pay, not very attractive). If I can find something in one of the cities I may even have a life and still save a lot of money. Also the ease in finding a job is essential as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradv4589 View Post
Hi all,

As I see many people on this forum are making the move or at least considering the move to North Dakota for the oil boom, please take into account my situation. I already am reading over as much information that I can get my hands on, but still appreciate any additional insight.

I am graduating with a degree in business in May in the Netherlands (I have American citizenship). I have a Commercial Pilot License as well as manual work experience in tree removal and for a large moving company as well as started my own import business.

With all this said, I am looking for a change as I am not making much money currently and going stateside to look for a new path and have been continuously drawn to North Dakota due to the high salaries and readily available work. I am willing to go anywhere and do anything.

My current idea is to go to Bismarck and get a normal job until I can get on my feet and then start searching for more work. Also get my CDL is a very likely path while holding normal job for a couple months perhaps. I was also considering going to Minot, Fargo and then the oil boom towns such as Dickinson.

For a 25 year old recent graduate (I know what long dark winters are like, the Netherlands is further north than anywhere in the continental US), what are the best opportunities for a business major?

I have several motives: 1) build a nice saving 2) gain work experience 3) adventure 4) I enjoy the extremes in the weather.

I am extremely ambitious and a hard worker so I know there are opportunities, but I have read mixed reports on oil boom towns vs cities such as Bismarck, Fargo and even Minot.

Where, in your opinion, will I find good paying jobs that will correlate with the cost of living (williston e.g. has high cost of living, no housing but high pay, not very attractive). If I can find something in one of the cities I may even have a life and still save a lot of money. Also the ease in finding a job is essential as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Brad
Have you tried ERA Alaska?

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota