Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 17,971 times

Advertisements

Hello! For some reason I felt compelled to register with this forum and let everybody know that I really enjoy traveling to North Dakota. Whenever me and my family get the chance, we head south to the Antler-Lyleton crossing for a weekend trip to Minot. We've also been to Fargo and Bismarck and have a hell of time there. You people are so damn friendly; more friendly than us Canadians, certainly. Your booze and cigarettes are also ridiculously cheap. That makes traveling there so much more worth while.

Once we were headed home from Minot past our local port of entry's close, so we headed towards the Peace Gardens. at 11:00 on a Saturday night we had a flat tire on the north side of Dunseith. A local kid who was obviously ****faced drunk stopped and lended us a some light so I could get the spare on. The local deputy stopped and asked what was going on. The kid responded, "Just helping out some Canadians!" The deputy, who knew the guy by name, asked if he was drinking and was satisfied with his answer of no, and drove off. The young man then lamented of his inadmissability to Canada due to his several DUI charges. I won't forget that...

Rural North Dakota kind of reminds me a bit of rural Saskatchewan and Manitoba, just with a bit more wild west attitude. I've never felt so much at home, yet knowing full well I'm in a foreign country with some very different laws and different attitudes. I find it a little strange to see signage respectfully asking people to leave their guns at home while in shopping malls and restaurants. In Canada, most rural people have some sort of long rifle, but hand guns are to be always stored under lock and key, and only transported from home to gun club.

I still would like to tour some of the more sparsely populated parts of ND, maybe hit up some smalltown saloons and meet more locals. Give me some suggestions, I'm always game for meeting locals. I'm looking forward to having a drink or two in Noonan some day.

Your view on healthcare is quite a bit different than here at home, but then again, we've had single payer health care in Canada for nearly 60 years, and it's plain to see that Obamacare was and is a poorly planned joke of a halfbaked government insurance plan that puts a burden on small business. Frankly, I think it would be a very hard sell for you Americans to adopt a system like us. As much as 50% of our income is taxed. However, I am glad that we Canadians have a constitutional right to timely and affordable healthcare. I always try to remember to carry Blue Cross insurance when I travel south so I will never worry about a giant hospital bill if any one of us get hurt or take sick south of 49.

I know full well that those chainlink fenced concrete pads randomly dotting your countryside keep the sane and free half of the world safe from the *******s who want us all dead, and I really hope you all accept our thanks for keeping your finger on the trigger. Canada doesn't stock those kinds of weapons, yet I'm sure there are a handful of nukes on the other side of the date line with our name on them. Thanks to you guys they will likely stay holstered.

Lastly, I encourage the great people of North Dakota to visit us. We have tons of culture and history that's distinctly our own. I always smile when I see a North Dakota or Minnesota or Montana plate in the area. I recommend stopping in for a steak at the Arlington Hotel in Maryfield, SK. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the concept of a steak pit; you cook it yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 AM

372 posts, read 598,180 times
I'm not from North Dakota or Canada but I enjoyed reading your post! Glad you liked the state. I love positive stories.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times
Thank's Skelectrician, for the kind words.

I notice you made it down to our "Big City" Fargo. In other words you saw nearly Half the total population of ND.

I'm glad to see we didn't scare you off.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,873,888 times
From this American, I genuinely enjoyed and appreciated your post. THANK YOU! And, BTW, our family loves visiting Canada along with the hospitality of the Canadian people. We will always have a special relationship that exists nowhere else in the world.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,979,705 times
Being in the Grand Forks area....we see lots of Manitobans year round. I have many facebook friends in Manitoba and Saskatchewan and always dreamed of living in Canada since growing up as a young kid in the American south (Kentucky). I always wanted to live in Saskatchewan personally as I love the prairie. I have a weather FB page as well (since I am a weather forecater in GF)...and talk about Canadian weather and have one person I chat with a lot in Moose Jaw. I always wanted to live in either the Battlefords or Regina. I loved Regina when I visisted 10 years ago.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM

93 posts, read 169,251 times
Enjoyed reading your post. And I always notice the Canadians shopping down here as being extra friendly. We're getting our kids' passports updated and looking forward to heading north to see Canada ourselves. (Just moved to ND last summer, and it definitely does have a special relationship with Canada!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota