U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 PM

204 posts, read 364,207 times

Advertisements

Well after a year of hoping and praying...my husband has been offered two positions in the construction field. The he applied in the morning and we got a call that night!! WOW!!! what luck!We are still keeping our fingers crossed for a superintendent job where the BIG money is!! He plans to head out in the beginning of June. One job comes with housing in Dickinson so that will be awesome, the man who he has been talking to said.."I have work from hell and back" After getting great advice on here from you folks..we are still cautious about the move, and the kids and I are staying put for now. Let him go on out and see what's up. Hopefully once he gets out there and gets to know people he can jump to a higher paying job. Super excited and terrified all at the same time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,650 times
hi kbug,

We are getting ready to start the same experience. I would be interested in keeping in contact with you to see how it goes for you. are you available to text? my email is h.clausen@students.clark.edu

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM

YES!! just sent you an email...

Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 7,895,510 times
Good luck, my husband spent two years working out there and was totally burnt out. He made awesome money but he had to work way too many hours to make that money and was away from home too much.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:02 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,601,363 times
That's one reason people can find work so easily. There are so many "burn-out" jobs.

There's nothing wrong with going up to the Bakken and paying-off debt plus saving money plus, possibly, restoring a broken career.

There are lotsa young guys up here with pricey trucks that will leave here with nothing except unreasonable expecatation of what they are worth.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 1,813,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
That's one reason people can find work so easily. There are so many "burn-out" jobs.

There's nothing wrong with going up to the Bakken and paying-off debt plus saving money plus, possibly, restoring a broken career.

There are lotsa young guys up here with pricey trucks that will leave here with nothing except unreasonable expecatation of what they are worth.
What are the burn out jobs?
Here in San Francisco, CA and SF Bay area you need degrees and experience.

No more on the job training or entry level jobs.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Hubz heading out this weekend!! I can keep you posted on what he finds...but as far as entry level their seems to be a lot..just that the housing is an issue...lots of jobs, not enough ppl. to fill them and no where for ppl to live! frustrating but his job comes with housing..and if he jumps to another then he will sleep in the car till he finds something. It would be great if he found one of the 3 weeks on 1 off or a schedule like that...then we would be golden. Shoot looks like I could babysit kids out there and make $$$$$ they need daycare in a big way too!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 1,813,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
Hubz heading out this weekend!! I can keep you posted on what he finds...but as far as entry level their seems to be a lot..just that the housing is an issue...lots of jobs, not enough ppl. to fill them and no where for ppl to live! frustrating but his job comes with housing..and if he jumps to another then he will sleep in the car till he finds something. It would be great if he found one of the 3 weeks on 1 off or a schedule like that...then we would be golden. Shoot looks like I could babysit kids out there and make $$$$$ they need daycare in a big way too!
That's just the opposite of the way it is here. Too many people and too few jobs. Must have degree and experience. You might be lucky if you can get a job at McDonalds but that's better suited to students and doesn't help with rent, food etc because pay is too low and cost of living too high.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:25 PM

4,817 posts, read 9,849,985 times
The worker shortage is the number 1 issue among businesses in the state and the reason for not expanding into the state. This was detailed in the Grand Forks paper...where the worker shortage for construction and fast food/retail is extreme. And it is worse in other areas of the state. If you can pass a drug test and show up for work....you can get a job. Now most starting wages for retail I have seen locally in the Red River valley 10-12/hr no experience.... for construction higher.... and for manufacturing (American Crystal Sugar for example) higher yet....15-20/hr. My wife's nephew out of high school went one year to Bismarck State College and the one year on the job training to be a lineman...one who works way up on electrical poles. Obviously not for everyone. But he is now 21 and making 35/hr doing that. He does have to travel around the southwestern part of the state as needed....but company pays for any housing needed while on the job. He is based in Bismarck.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,769,544 times
Nobody every passed out from hard work

Chances are if it doesn't work out and you quit, you have some truly unique add-ons to that resume Work Experience list

It is also a great way to protect yourself from a hole in resume if unemployed for a gap of time to instead be able to say " I pulled through on a once in a lifetime oil boom and took a break in previous career due to a non-recurring situation. I am a go-getter"

I would be glad to come in a tent and find a friendly neighbor and pay the guy monthly money to have the right to put my tent on a small piece of that someone's backyard property. In turn I would offer to do chores for the person between regular job shifts. There's always a way

Another idea is just go out there and drive back and forth between Williston and various non-accessible towns all day long on a scheduled basis and charge passengers a fee to cover your gas and then some. This will allow workers who can't find housing to use the cities for housing without wear and tear on their personal vehicles and could generate good pay without even lifting a thing. Become North Dakota's one-man metro-rail system so to speak.

I can also imagine for women...Childcare services, home/schooling, extracurricular for kids for families of oil workers must be a HUGE opportunity and challenge.

Last edited by EricS39; 06-17-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or