Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 38,696 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. My husband works for the railroad and we want out of IN for numerous reasons and Enderlin is one of the cities we can consider. I am hoping to get a little info on what rentals are like and what housing is available? What kind of jobs are available out there also? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:17 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
jlittlelady26; I was hoping someone from the area would respond to you. I'm guessing they will in time. I myself do not know too much about Enderlin. But know it is close to Fargo and Valley City-Jamestown area. So you would get the small town life but close to good shopping and such with Fargo so close by. Hopefully someone who lives there or near there will give you some feedback. Below are a couple of links to the town and county. But, you may have already found that. Good Luck in your decision. You are always welcome in North Dakota.

www.enderlinnd.com
www.ransomcountynd.com

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Hi

I dont live in the immediate area....but have been through there a number of times on work related business. I also saw your thread on MN board concerning Thief River Falls. I will talk about both here...

Enderlin itself is on the Maple River right on the Cass and Ransom line. I would think rental housing is tough as it is a small town....but it is a nice small town and close to F-M area so shopping and restaurants would be close by (30 min or so). It is small town ND and basically a farming town until recently but there are new subdivisions cropping up as fargo-west fargo population growth spreads southwest. In terms of rental housing....that may be tough as rental housing is not very abundant in ND period from what I have seen viewing classifieds. But if you want a small town lifestyle but close to city conveniences Enderlin would work out nicely.

As for Thief River....TVF is a bit bigger town and does have Northland Technical College....Arctic Cat and Digi-Key for employment. I have read several newspaper articles in the local Grand Forks paper about housing being tough to come by and the need for additional housing as employment opportunites have expanded. TVF does have a superWalmart and some local stores but for more varied shopping and eating options most folks come to Grand Forks which is about an 1 to 1/2 hour away. Thief River was recently highlighted as one of the growth areas in Northwest MN for population and job-wise.

So...to me if you are looking for small town but near a big city...then Enderlin might fit better. But if you want an overall well rounded town and dont mind the drive to bigger cities then TVF would fit better. Weather conditions are about the same...TVF is closer to the forested areas and lakes of MN then Enderlin is and that may be a consideration.

Dan GF-EGF

Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 AM

86 posts, read 413,913 times
Been there, done that. Worked for CP/Soo and lived in Enderlin. Now retired elsewhere.

Enderlin population is aprox 1,000. The county seat is Lisbon, about 14 miles to SW, population around 2200, they also have the county stop light. Fargo is about 55+ miles NE, less if you live on far south side.

Housing in Enderlin, Lisbon and surrounding areas is tight. Should you decide to buy in one of the small towns be advised that in the past building codes have rarely been enforced. On the other hand small town housing can be much less expensive than Fargo area.

Rentals in Enderlin area are limited, but do exist.

Jobs in Enderlin are also kind of limited, unless you are a nurse or can bartend. I believe there is one bank now, one grocery store, one restaurant, four bars, one nursing home, one satellite clinic. Other than railroad, the next biggest employer is either the school system or Sun Flower crushing plant.

I don't know if you are from Elkhart or Terrible Haute, but are you folks aware they have cold winters in Enderlin (Thief River is even colder) as compared to where you are?

If you have time to go out and look around for a couple of days, you need to do so as this area is FAR different from where you are. If you have to relocate real soon my advice would be to find a rental in South Fargo and then take the next few months to look around. It is about a 40-50 minute drive to Enderlin depending where in south Fargo you might find

jlittlelady26 feel free to PM me if more questions.

Last edited by therrboomer; 12-16-2007 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 38,696 times
Thank you that helps alot. We are from Elkhart and are ok with the colder weather we just want out of IN, so we are willing to sacrifice, but maybe thief river falls may be more suitable thanks again for all the info!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
My wife and I recently moved here, from Fort Wayne. Rent is cheap 450-500 gets you a 3-4 bedroom older but nice home. The people a great its like the 1950's we dont even bother locking our doors, really!!! Hope to see you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota