Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM

70 posts, read 212,174 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know IF we decide to move there, what my kids will be doing during winter??? ages range from 5-13

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
In the 3-4 months I have been here, I have seen a ton of kids on 4-wheelers in their front yards. I'm jealous when I drive by.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM

70 posts, read 212,174 times
lol. thanks!!! I appreciate the feed back.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
My kids would come home from school, change clothes, dress warm and head out to play until I called them in for supper. After supper, if they had no homework, back outside to play. That was the routine until it hit about -20°. Then it was play outside until supper, but stay inside and watch TV after supper.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
Thinking of a more modern age, many kids love being on the computer. It's like a billion book library in your home, $50 or so a month. Or cable TV is offering about 200 channels in many areas for about $80 a month. They may be able to stand outside if you get them ultra-warm clothing, like heavily insulated coats, gloves, boots, etc. Boots made for extreme cold are about $100-$150. I know in eastern ND there is also a problem with 100+ degree summers. I stayed in Fargo overnight in late Spring, beautiful city. I was in a park by the Red River, not a single mosquito bite, so they must have spraying.

Some kids like playing in the snow, throwing snowballs, building snowmen & other things. If you had a single family home, you could get a tent & sleeping bags rated to 0 degrees for backyard. Of course, many in the northern states just run from warm house to heated car & into stores, library, etc.

Winter sports a possibility? Skating, hockey, skiing, ice fishing (ice fishing house about $200). Big cities also have indoor activities in a community center as part of park & rec, indoor skating/hockey arenas.

Schools might have after classes activities, too.

Maybe you could get them to shovel the driveway & sidewalk (if in single family home). That heavy lifting can make a person perspire in sub-freezing temps.

I'm in metro Twin Cities, MN, a few suburbs out from central cities. We have most stores we need within 5 miles, low crime, regular bus service, lots of parks & school play fields nearby, forests, lakes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen54 View Post
Just curious to know IF we decide to move there, what my kids will be doing during winter??? ages range from 5-13

thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 10,963 times
We are wondering the same thing. We are moving up there in the next month or so and have a 3 and 4 yo. We have been looking at little basketball and gymnastic programs for them that we will probably try out

Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,934 times
Quote:

thanks in advance.

Depends.

In the week, the Y has a lot of classes. Swimming is popular. Same with other gyms.

When I came up here in the winter, I didn't see many people or children outside, but by spring the place was crazy with people. Additionally, there seems to be a bigger percentage of fit people here than in Texas, so the winters can't be too bad for them.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:

thanks in advance.
A lot of the same things they do when it's too rainy to play outside? Arts and crafts, learning to cook/bake, have an indoor picnic, build forts out of couch cushions, sheets, and kitchen chairs?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
We have an attached heated garage....and our kids play floor hockey...basketball and baseball catch in there. But it does require sweeping out the sand and water. Ow kids are in swim lessons some winters...Our 4 th grader in basketball with saturday games....ymca is great place. So many options.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
The true definition of a "Sweater", is: A sweater is something a child puts on, when momma is cold.

Small kids are one thing, but do not over dress kids going outside. If they are cold, they'll come in and either grab more clothes, or stay in and warm up. They're metabolism is far greater than yours and mine. Require them to over dress and they will break into a sweat and then they are really in trouble. Kids can stay a lot warmer than we can, with far less to wear.

Do not hybernate, get outside and require your kids to get outside. Don't let them sit inside playing video games all winter. They will get cabin fever and so will you, and then you have kids that rebel at every turn.

It has been below zero every day for over a week. I'm retired, I dont have to go outside, yet I have spent 4-5 hours, every day, outside. Just dress for what you are going to do, and let your kids dress for what they are going to do. Remember the definition of a sweater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: