Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 03:13 PM

50 posts, read 62,650 times

Advertisements

That guy's rant is funny. I moved from Seattle to Grand Forks, ND. Now, if you go around the country and ask people what they think of Seattle, most people have pretty favorable things to say. Good weather, pretty mountains, things to do etc. Generally in my experience people seem to prefer Seattle over Minneapolis. Why do I mention this? Well, I moved to Grand Forks and I found things to do, I met interesting people, and the weather was fine. 32 degrees is COLD in Seattle. 20F is downright crazy. Yet I moved to Grand Forks where one day I was there is was -43F. I had a great time.

Life is what you make of it. If you're not creative, you'll get bored. If you're lonely, get social. My life in Grand Forks was centered around UND for awhile, and then later on the retail job I worked it. For a small town, I think there was a lot going on. But you need to get out and look for it. It's cold? wear some long underwear. It's windy? Put on a balaclava and sunglasses.

I never had a driver's license, take that! We had a snowstorm in January when I went back to school, and I decided to go buy a mug from the dollar store 3 miles away from my dorm (UND bookstore wanted $8 for a mug!), and I walked through the storm (I won't use the word blizzard b/c I feel that you don't get blizzards in town b/c of buildings.. but it would be a blizzard out in the country). I had several people pull over to offer me a ride! How's that for nice? I've never lived anywhere with people that generous (risking their safety, because I am a stranger).

Anyhow, I love North Dakota. There will always be part of North Dakota with me where ever I go. I know it's changed a bit (I was there 2002-2006; 2009-2012), but I think its core will remain.

Here is what I love:

- triple sunrises (the sun in the middle and the pillars of light on opposite sides)

- diamonds in the air in winter (when it's so cold that all the moisture in the air freezes and it floating in the air, getting caught by street lights or lamps, and sparkling like diamonds)

- my breath freezing on my eyelashes--it sounds strange but it's so cool!

- Northern Lights (saw them in town! twice!)

- the soft crunch/squeak of the snow under my foot, when taking evening walks, and looking at all the cute old homes looking cozy with their lights on inside, and it being still and cold outside

- being able to walk most everywhere in town... UND campus was 3 miles to 32 the main big box retail strip... and it was only 1.5mi to downtown GF/E GF

- super nice people. going to the grocery store and chit chatting with workers there. Working at a big box retail store who cared about me as a person, so when the weather was crazy and I was late for work (since I walked) they understood and didn't write me up for fire me for it.

- summer heat and humidity. It wouldn't happen often, but I remember when the city was all foggy and it was 90 out. My coworkers were miserable, but I thought it was heaven.

- gardens. people landscape and make beautiful gardens, such that taking walks in the summertime is really enjoyable

- the feeling that you can make a difference. I never felt so connected to a city as I did in GF. Some people thought there should be a community garden. So they did the legwork and BAM! Community garden downtown. Pretty cool.

- farmer's market. Yes, those are everywhere. Lots in Seattle where I'm from. Generally I feel that prices at farmers markets are HIGHER than grocery store. In Grand Forks, they were equal or less. A ton of honey for dirt cheap! Pretty cool.

- Sunflowers. Fields and fields of sunflower crops. awesome

- Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Need I say anymore? It's not a big mountain, a big forest, no big lake, no glacier, nothing that would make you think driving out there would be worth it. BUT, it's got something I've not seen in another park before: the feeling that you're the only person in the park. I've been on lots of hikes, but you're always sharing the trail with a host of other people if the weather is nice. I went on a 17 mile loop hike in the badlands and only saw people on the first 2 miles of the hike, and the last 2 miles (which was a road), and once in the middle of the hike when I had to cross a road.. and it was just cars then. Most of the hike it was me, and nature. Horses, bison, prairie dogs, deer, and even an elk. I spent 3 days, 2 nights, and most of that time it was just me. It was a wonderful experience, and one of the best outdoor trips of my life. I NEVER would have expected it to be that way.

- economy. Not sure how it is now, but the economy has been good and it's a nice feeling that if you don't like you're job, you could leave, and find another. I think a lot of people in other parts of the country feel like slaves, because there are no other options.

- home prices in 2011 and before. I don't know what they are now, but in 2011 and before they were way better than Seattle.

- Security. I don't live in North Dakota now, but I think of it as this place where if things ever get really rough, employment prospects not so good, etc, I can always return to North Dakota. That may not always be the case, but for now, it's a nice thought :-)

Anyhow, love you North Dakota :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 04:56 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndy View Post
That guy's rant is funny. I moved from Seattle to Grand Forks, ND. Now, if you go around the country and ask people what they think of Seattle, most people have pretty favorable things to say. Good weather, pretty mountains, things to do etc. Generally in my experience people seem to prefer Seattle over Minneapolis. Why do I mention this? Well, I moved to Grand Forks and I found things to do, I met interesting people, and the weather was fine. 32 degrees is COLD in Seattle. 20F is downright crazy. Yet I moved to Grand Forks where one day I was there is was -43F. I had a great time.

Life is what you make of it. If you're not creative, you'll get bored. If you're lonely, get social. My life in Grand Forks was centered around UND for awhile, and then later on the retail job I worked it. For a small town, I think there was a lot going on. But you need to get out and look for it. It's cold? wear some long underwear. It's windy? Put on a balaclava and sunglasses.

I never had a driver's license, take that! We had a snowstorm in January when I went back to school, and I decided to go buy a mug from the dollar store 3 miles away from my dorm (UND bookstore wanted $8 for a mug!), and I walked through the storm (I won't use the word blizzard b/c I feel that you don't get blizzards in town b/c of buildings.. but it would be a blizzard out in the country). I had several people pull over to offer me a ride! How's that for nice? I've never lived anywhere with people that generous (risking their safety, because I am a stranger).

Anyhow, I love North Dakota. There will always be part of North Dakota with me where ever I go. I know it's changed a bit (I was there 2002-2006; 2009-2012), but I think its core will remain.

Here is what I love:

- triple sunrises (the sun in the middle and the pillars of light on opposite sides)

- diamonds in the air in winter (when it's so cold that all the moisture in the air freezes and it floating in the air, getting caught by street lights or lamps, and sparkling like diamonds)

- the soft crunch/squeak of the snow under my foot, when taking evening walks, and looking at all the cute old homes looking cozy with their lights on inside, and it being still and cold outside

- being able to walk most everywhere in town... UND campus was 3 miles to 32 the main big box retail strip... and it was only 1.5mi to downtown GF/E GF

- super nice people. going to the grocery store and chit chatting with workers there. Working at a big box retail store who cared about me as a person, so when the weather was crazy and I was late for work (since I walked) they understood and didn't write me up for fire me for it.

- summer heat and humidity. It wouldn't happen often, but I remember when the city was all foggy and it was 90 out. My coworkers were miserable, but I thought it was heaven.

- gardens. people landscape and make beautiful gardens, such that taking walks in the summertime is really enjoyable

- the feeling that you can make a difference. I never felt so connected to a city as I did in GF. Some people thought there should be a community garden. So they did the legwork and BAM! Community garden downtown. Pretty cool.

- farmer's market. Yes, those are everywhere. Lots in Seattle where I'm from. Generally I feel that prices at farmers markets are HIGHER than grocery store. In Grand Forks, they were equal or less. A ton of honey for dirt cheap! Pretty cool.

- Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Need I say anymore? It's not a big mountain, a big forest, no big lake, no glacier, nothing that would make you think driving out there would be worth it. BUT, it's got something I've not seen in another park before: the feeling that you're the only person in the park. I've been on lots of hikes, but you're always sharing the trail with a host of other people if the weather is nice. I went on a 17 mile loop hike in the badlands and only saw people on the first 2 miles of the hike, and the last 2 miles (which was a road), and once in the middle of the hike when I had to cross a road.. and it was just cars then. Most of the hike it was me, and nature. Horses, bison, prairie dogs, deer, and even an elk. I spent 3 days, 2 nights, and most of that time it was just me. It was a wonderful experience, and one of the best outdoor trips of my life. I NEVER would have expected it to be that way.

- economy. Not sure how it is now, but the economy has been good and it's a nice feeling that if you don't like you're job, you could leave, and find another. I think a lot of people in other parts of the country feel like slaves, because there are no other options.

- home prices in 2011 and before. I don't know what they are now, but in 2011 and before they were way better than Seattle.

- Security. I don't live in North Dakota now, but I think of it as this place where if things ever get really rough, employment prospects not so good, etc, I can always return to North Dakota. That may not always be the case, but for now, it's a nice thought :-)

So nice to read a positive post. I moved to the Grand Forks area in 1998 ... I live in EGF.... and I wanted to move here due to the colder weather and flat prairie (I am a meteorologist) and I completely agree. I have lived in several areas before this move, and each area has its own positive/negative. It is your reaction to it that matters and how you deal with it. I find the positive things in life and focus on those and it is does wonder for attitude. I trust people, I like to help people, open doors for others, will offer someone with less items than me to go ahead of me in the grocery line. It is the little things.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:44 PM

25 posts, read 55,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndy View Post

Here is what I love:

So true, I know exactly what you are talking about and you have to live here to exactly understand the "feelings" of what you are saying. Thank you for that amazing post!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 PM

173 posts, read 245,467 times
The Peace, And quiet.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I just moved here in August and I LOVE the people here. They are the most genuine, down to earth people I have met. The sense of community is great here. Such a breath of fresh air after having lived in Wyoming where it's every man for himself.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Favorite Thing: A loser like me was able to find a halfway decent job.

Least Favorite Thing: Housing prices. I read an article somewhere that said something like a crazy 62% of people in Fargo live in apartments! It's definitely an inflated bubble market here and the pickings under $150,000 are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota