Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 PM

64 posts, read 320,990 times

Advertisements

I had a neighbor who was from Fargo. He never even wore a jacket in the winter here (West Virginia). Its not exactly warm in WV in the winter, but to him it was. I'd see him in his backyard wearing a T-shirt with snow all around. No one could see him but us, he didn't do it for show. Just had all that thick ND blood in him I suppose! A guy like that would probably suffer in Florida during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 33,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhouse View Post
I had a neighbor who was from Fargo. He never even wore a jacket in the winter here (West Virginia). Its not exactly warm in WV in the winter, but to him it was. I'd see him in his backyard wearing a T-shirt with snow all around. No one could see him but us, he didn't do it for show. Just had all that thick ND blood in him I suppose! A guy like that would probably suffer in Florida during the summer.
I grew up in Minot, ND and lived there until I graduated high school. Then I attended UND in Grand Forks and then moved with my husband to WI, and he sounds like a ND native to me! The cold isn't what gets you, it is the wind. After a few days of windchill, a sunny day that is 10 degrees but doesn't have any wind can feel quite pleasant. Everyone here in WI thinks the winters are so harsh, but without the wind I'm loving it!

I went to college at UND in Grand Forks, and my husband had classmates in his engineering grad classes that were from India, which I'm sure is hotter than FL. The first year grad students all wore winter coats as soon as the temp hit 50, which for people from ND is still shorts weather. By their second year, they were wearing sweaters instead of winter coats on many winter days, just like the natives. It was easy to tell which foreign students were new arrivals!

I wouldn't worry so much about the cold, the thing that is the hardest to deal with is the cabin fever! Staying inside so much in the winter can be hard to deal with, I would worry more about boredom than cold!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 PM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
The coldest temperatures I've been through in my life was when it got to -1 here in Brooklyn on a January 2004 cold snap.
I wore like 3 tshirts, a sweatshirt, a sweater, and a down jacket, and i still froze.

But then again, I went out to rollerblade and the wind was gusty. hah

But I love cold! ahh, such a refreshing experience to be out in the cold. I feel like it cleanses the body.

I'm really not a summer person. I hate anything about 70.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
The coldest temperatures I've been through in my life was when it got to -1 here in Brooklyn on a January 2004 cold snap.
I wore like 3 tshirts, a sweatshirt, a sweater, and a down jacket, and i still froze.

But then again, I went out to rollerblade and the wind was gusty. hah

But I love cold! ahh, such a refreshing experience to be out in the cold. I feel like it cleanses the body.

I'm really not a summer person. I hate anything about 70.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Minus 1? That's pretty close to a spring thaw.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 AM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Minus 1? That's pretty close to a spring thaw.

I admire that!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 AM

104 posts, read 832,898 times
I live in Minot ND. my husband is military. We have been here 2 years leaving this summer! Yippee!

Block heaters here is our experience, we have a car and truck, the car is parked in the garage most of the times, I have never even plugged in the block heater, my husbands truck is outside and has used his block heater lots. I can't remember the prices though.

Yes, you will need a good coat, gloves hat, and maybe some snow boots. It really depends on how much time you will spend outside. I go from my car to the building, house etc and don't use snow boots.

It does get VERY cold! Like -20's or 30's sometimes and thats not the windchill. Thank goodness there aren't that many of those days. But, even at -5 to whatever to COLD! You will need an emergency pack in your car in the winer. We have flashlight, lighter, water, jerky, couple of those silver fold up blanket things, cards, paper, pencil, etc.

The summers are really nice around here. But, there are times when even then you will need a jacket. We always take them with us. Oh, and the mosquitos are horrible here! The biggest I have ever seen. I am from Louisiana and they are even worst here. We keep spray in both vehicles.
Camping is nice here, I hear the fishing is nice but we have fished several times from the banks and catch nothing.

The crime rate is very low! The people are nice. But, it gets very boring in the winter. There isnt' that much to do. The shopping isn't that great.

I don't mind it here much in the summer but I hate the winters here. I am glad we just had our last one!

Housing is very expensive to buy.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota