Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 04:21 AM

11 posts, read 17,101 times

Advertisements

Hello.

It's been a long time since I have visited these forums but I'm back with a couple of new question.

I will be visiting North Dakota in the near future and I am looking to be prepared on the mobile data front. After a short google session it seems as Verizon is preferable. Seeing Verizon has a CDMA network and I have a GSM phone that will be tricky. Can anyone report on AT&T's GSM network in the area? I will mostly be in Minot or Carpio area with my family. But it's also likely I will be taking a drive to South Dakota and visit Mount Rushmore.

I'm not dependent on doing phone calls. So the most important thing for me is data quality and service.
If Verizon is way better then AT&T I'll gladly get a MyFy (a mobile hot spot device) from Verizon if they have an option where I can just buy the litle box and pay them X$ for a month.

TL;DR
Google tells me Verizon is preferred in the area.
Is AT&T's GSM network way worse?
Should I get a MyFy from Verizon?
Will Verizon and, or At&T sell me a MyFy (mobile hot spot) and let me just pay for a few GB for a month or something?

Thank you for your time
- Chris

Last edited by Chris.Tengesdal; 05-14-2015 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Tengesdal View Post
Hello.

It's been a long time since I have visited these forums but I'm back with a couple of new question.

I will be visiting North Dakota in the near future and I am looking to be prepared on the mobile data front. After a short google session it seems as Verizon is preferable. Seeing Verizon has a CDMA network and I have a GSM phone that will be tricky. Can anyone report on AT&T's GSM network in the area? I will mostly be in Minot or Carpio area with my family. But it's also likely I will be taking a drive to South Dakota and visit Mount Rushmore.

I'm not dependent on doing phone calls. So the most important thing for me is data quality and service.
If Verizon is way better then AT&T I'll gladly get a MyFy (a mobile hot spot device) from Verizon if they have an option where I can just buy the litle box and pay them X$ for a month.

TL;DR
Google tells me Verizon is preferred in the area.
Is AT&T's GSM network way worse?
Should I get a MyFy from Verizon?
Will Verizon and, or At&T sell me a MyFy (mobile hot spot) and let me just pay for a few GB for a month or something?

Thank you for your time
- Chris
Actually, the old 2g (GSM) network is pretty slow, but AT&T has made a lot of progress with its UMTS and LTE networks. Except for areas around Killdeer and New England (Both north and south of Dickinson) and near Mapleton (west of Fargo) and at Euclid (East of Grandforks) the AT&T UMTS and LTE networks are all using a gigabit Ethernet for back haul.

While AT&T has had some bandwidth issues, the engineers have made some pretty good progress using some new tech to improve download speeds.

There was a problem with a transition around Williston a few weeks ago, but that has been sorted out.

I was under the impression that at the 3G, 4G and LTE level AT&T had as good or better coverage than Verizon. But, I don't get out of Fargo much, and what I know, I find out from behind a desk looking at computer screens. Maybe someone in the Minot area can help.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM

85 posts, read 206,016 times
I was up there a couple of months ago with my AT&T phone, and had full bars the whole time if I remember correctly.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
My wife is from the Minot area and has in-laws 15-20 miles south of Minot....south of Radar Hill. AT&T have been expanding a lot and getting better. Still, not up to Verizon coverage in the rural areas though.....but getting a lot better.

So for that reason, we all have Verizon and many still do.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:46 AM

11 posts, read 17,101 times
Ok. And thank you for the response.
I'll check with my family what provider they use when I get over there. I'm guessing they are not heavy users of data tho.

And, will AT&T or Verizon sell me a MiFi (hotspot) device only to use a month? I asked someone on the AT&T chat. He said Sure. But first I would need a MSVP (or something), then copy pasted info about their great 4G network taken from the AT&T website.

In other words, it didn't really clear things up for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota