Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

Ok so I may be transferring to Kenmare or Bottineau for work, no not an oil worker. I've searched this forum and the internet like crazy so I'm familiar with demographics and historic tornado activity but I'm curious what the weather is really like in these areas. I know the winter is cold but if I end up in Kenmare I'll have to commute to Portal for work. Are the roads well maintained or is it highly probable that I'll be stranded at home? Also very curious about the severe weather up there and the frequency. Will I be blown to Oz by a twister or have my windows blown out by hail? Is high speed internet available in these areas? I have a million questions but that's a good start I think. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Hi.... I live in the Grand Forks ND area... have in-laws in Bottineau and Minot. Yeah that area of the state is quite cold in the winter....among the coldest. Yes wind and blowing snow are issues....esp in that Minot to Portal stretch and in areas west of Bottineau out of the hills. If you are working for the border patrol....I would assume they have accomodations there for situations when you would be stuck at work. In many cases, if you know there is a wind event (blizzard) coming then you may well be needed to drive to work early and then stay there. These issues arent common during the winter, but would occur a couple to a few times each winter.

Severe weather in terms of hail or tornadoes can occur, but not frequent. Certainly more than LA or Seattle, but no where near like Kansas City, St Louis, Dallas, etc.

I have never been to Kenmare directly, but to Bottineau. Bottineau is a nice little town. There is a small town Walmart there that was newly built a few years ago. Other than that, a subway and some other more local mom/pop places. Bottineau as in its favor, being very close to the Turtle Mountains and nice skiiing and camping at Lake Metagoshie. Also very near the Intl Peace Gardens. Bottineau I believe is a bit bigger than Kenmare. But both places are such that you would drive to Minot for major services/shopping. If you are going to work in Portal..... the ND DOT has a webcam near Portal on 52...

ND Roads

Old 05-24-2015, 03:47 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
As always, Kamsak has covered it quite well.

The only thing I could add is be prepared. Carry an emergency kit in your car so you prepared to live in your car. I know it sounds funny, but its not
Have a pack that has a blanket or two, some drinking water, some power bars, flairs, clean warm socks, candles, change of cloths, etc. It could save your lifr.

Weather in that area can change in a heartbeat and strand you with no notice. You can loose traction and wind up in the ditch. You'll be glad to have that blanket.

Do a search of the forum and you'll find a comprehensive list we, collective list we put together of what we would really like to have, should ever be stranded.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I've run across some of the posts regarding the emergency kit and I'll definitely go more in depth with that when the time comes. Maybe I should change my username to futurepopsicle ha!

Maybe investing in a 4x4 would be a good idea?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You know, I've seen users post that you need 4X, or you have to have front wheel drive etc... The fact of the matter is, learn to drive in it. Over 80% of the vehicles are 2 wheel drive and they get around just fine. Unless you live in a rural area, there is really no need. I always tell people to rent a house that is on a school bus route because they get plowed so the kids can get to school, If you lived out in the country, or if you had a job that it was vital and imperative that you got to work, like doctor, tow truck driver, fire an rescue etc... then you might have a requirement for a 4 wheel drive. I have a 4 wheel drive, but I feed livestock. Other than feeding, I haven't put my truck in 4 wheel drive in over 10 years. Haven't needed to.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 PM

Haha well that's what I was thinking. I've driven in snow before with mostly two wheel drive and have been fine as long as you know what you're doing. Just reading so much about the north Dakota weather some have a flair for the dramatic and this NM boy is trying to figure out fact from fiction.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 PM

For pickups....most have at least all wheel drive.... true 4x4 not really necessary unless very rural travel..... As for cars....most are fine with the general car with all season tires. Subaru's are popular.... The main advantage with an SUV or truck is height or clearance off the ground. It has helped me get out of the parking lot at work before the plows have come through or get me home through drifts before the plows have come through. With a general car, often not quite high enough.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 PM

If you indeed will live in Kenmare or Bottineau and have to travel to the border for work....then most of your co-workers will have a Silverado....F150....or Yukon/Tahoe/Surbuban

Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 AM

I hope that's true, as far as coworkers having trucks if need be. As long as we're talking vehicles, it seems like block heaters are a must, however, I would also be bringing a muscle car that would be parked for months on end I'm sure. Hopefully in a heated garage, but in the event it's not heated or even if it is are there steps I need to take to protect it as far as engine and all the good stuff? I'll admit that I haven't researched this particular topic yet.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetolive96 View Post
I hope that's true, as far as coworkers having trucks if need be. As long as we're talking vehicles, it seems like block heaters are a must, however, I would also be bringing a muscle car that would be parked for months on end I'm sure. Hopefully in a heated garage, but in the event it's not heated or even if it is are there steps I need to take to protect it as far as engine and all the good stuff? I'll admit that I haven't researched this particular topic yet.
Yes, if parked outside for long periods without a garage, then yes a block heater plug in is recommended.
A good/excellent battery is a must with high cranking amps. I wouldnt worry about cold weather parking unless it is -15 or -20F or colder and if left outside for longer than 6 hours without running. Then I would plug the car in.

I am not an auto expert on cars....so unsure about the other part and let the more knowledgeable folks here answer that. I do nothing special to our running vehicles we use year-round from summer to winter. Keep the same tires, same oil, etc. But for storage cars, I dont know what they recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota