Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:26 PM

576 posts, read 819,688 times

Advertisements

In their latest desperate attempt at notoriety, the protestors are calling for a boycott of business in Bismarck and Mandan, even though those business are completely innocent in this mess!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tribe-cal...24.html?ref=gs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,955,649 times
Not to mention the SR chairman was caught on camera shopping at Scheels Friday.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,418,169 times
They claim the government is digging up their ancient burial grounds. Are we supposed to accept that their dead are more important than the living? Like it or not, we all need the oil to survive. We need a safe method of transport. The pipelines are a safer than ships and trucks. The video shows oil damage from sources other than pipelines, so they lose credibility right there. Boycotting businesses that have nothing to do with this is incomprehensible in my opinion.

I feel bad for these people, but they aren't thinking clearly... and what they demand is detrimental to the rest of us. Maybe the Native Americans lived just fine without oil, but I don't want to live in a teepee and shoot buffalo for my supper, much less skin the beast and use it for a winter coat. (I thought protesters hated fur!)

This has been going on since April. The police have should great restraint.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 AM

783 posts, read 571,279 times
Hopefully the coming winter will remind them of their nice warm homes and make them want to...go home.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Hopefully the coming winter will remind them of their nice warm homes and make them want to...go home.
That are nice and warm, because of Oil & Natural Gas... (or Electricity that is made from it)

Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM

4,528 posts, read 6,215,422 times
"The police have should (shown ?) great restraint." I get my pipeline news from Democracy Now!....I haven't seen any video of the restraint you mention being exhibited by law enforcement....I see restraint on the "other" side tho'. I've seen dogs turned loose by reported unlicensed dog handlers, I've seen the water cannon being used in sub-freezing weather...I've seen the militarized stance and armament by law enforcement....

"Are we supposed to accept that their dead are more important than the living?" "and what they demand is detrimental to the rest of us." This sounds a lot like how the Native Americans lost their land (and their burial grounds) in the first place... doesn't it ? The early settlers and the US government decided the land was more valuable to the settlers, and the natives just needed to suck it up....regardless of previous treaties that favored the natives. We should be thankful they are willing to make a stand for the protection of "our" water.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 AM

800 posts, read 505,507 times
These protesters will be partly to blame if gas and energy prices spike. I've read that many of the natives there are actually getting sick of these protestor kids. They're a bunch of bums that mooch off the natives and largely just show up to socialize and turn the whole thing into some hippie festival. They go because they think its the "hip" and "virtuous" thing to do but they're increasingly looking like fools.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 AM

576 posts, read 819,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"The police have should (shown ?) great restraint." I get my pipeline news from Democracy Now!....I haven't seen any video of the restraint you mention being exhibited by law enforcement....I see restraint on the "other" side tho'. I've seen dogs turned loose by reported unlicensed dog handlers, I've seen the water cannon being used in sub-freezing weather...I've seen the militarized stance and armament by law enforcement....

"Are we supposed to accept that their dead are more important than the living?" "and what they demand is detrimental to the rest of us." This sounds a lot like how the Native Americans lost their land (and their burial grounds) in the first place... doesn't it ? The early settlers and the US government decided the land was more valuable to the settlers, and the natives just needed to suck it up....regardless of previous treaties that favored the natives. We should be thankful they are willing to make a stand for the protection of "our" water.

Regards
Gemstone1
A typical comment from someone who lives thousands of miles away and only listens to one side of the story. I live thousands of miles away too, but all of my family and a lot of friends live in ND, and I regularly read the local media stories about this...

The facts are that the pipeline company approached the Sioux tribe about running the pipeline through their reservation. They had NO complaints about their water quality then... The only thing they wanted was more money. MUCH more money. This drove the pipeline company to locate another route just north of the reservation. Now, all of a sudden, they are worried about their water quality.

There are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of operating oil pipelines that cross waterways in this country. When was the last time you heard of a leak that contaminated the water?

There were dozens (maybe hundreds?) of public hearings during the permitting process for this pipeline. The Sioux tribe showed up at none of them.

The burial grounds that this pipeline will allegedly violate were moved to South Dakota decades ago when the Oahe reservoir was first planned. That little tidbit comes from the family that actually owned that land when the gravesites were moved.

Do not kid yourself... as with most things in this world, this is all about money. The tribe got greedy and now they have sour grapes that they are not getting anything.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,955,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
A typical comment from someone who lives thousands of miles away and only listens to one side of the story. I live thousands of miles away too, but all of my family and a lot of friends live in ND, and I regularly read the local media stories about this...

The facts are that the pipeline company approached the Sioux tribe about running the pipeline through their reservation. They had NO complaints about their water quality then... The only thing they wanted was more money. MUCH more money. This drove the pipeline company to locate another route just north of the reservation. Now, all of a sudden, they are worried about their water quality.

There are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of operating oil pipelines that cross waterways in this country. When was the last time you heard of a leak that contaminated the water?

There were dozens (maybe hundreds?) of public hearings during the permitting process for this pipeline. The Sioux tribe showed up at none of them.

The burial grounds that this pipeline will allegedly violate were moved to South Dakota decades ago when the Oahe reservoir was first planned. That little tidbit comes from the family that actually owned that land when the gravesites were moved.

Do not kid yourself... as with most things in this world, this is all about money. The tribe got greedy and now they have sour grapes that they are not getting anything.
so true...

Then it turned into a movement where white people want to have a feel good movement came over and are taking up their camps. These folks who come from all different states and world have very little care for life on reservations as long as they feel they are part of a movement.

Nevermind the pipeline already crosses the Missouri once, not to mention many other pipelines that cross other waterways in the country and Canada.

I do feel sorry for the Native Americans who live on the reservation. I feel they are being used by outside groups and then when done these groups will leave and force the people who live there to pick up the mess and live with the consequences of these groups actions.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM

4,528 posts, read 6,215,422 times
"When was the last time you heard of a leak that contaminated the water?" Oh.... about 2 weeks ago: link.
Then the Kalamazoo River comes to mind, then Mayflower, AR, the Yellowstone River, 2016, and 2011, Grand Junction, CO...
I could go on and on...but the scary part is that any of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of reported ( and those unreported) oil spills in this list could have been in or under a river/creek/aquafer...pipes break all the time...we just got lucky. How many more times do we push our luck ?

You are right tho' I only get my news from more often than not, unbiased national news organizations, not local sources whose economies are dependant on oil/pipeline revenue.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota