Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM

205 posts, read 729,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismanpokerclub View Post
! Boredom, yep it is boring if you find drug dealers and prostitutes on each corner and school yard exciting, which is why I really want ND to stay boring.
And the drive-by shootings! I'll take dull and boring any day over that kind of excitement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,438 times
Default An outsider responds

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I am from MN and I feel like most people here have never been to ND. I recommend visiting several times before moving!!

1)First, no one has said anything about the cold weather in ND. It is brutal here in MN, in some parts of ND is even worse!!

2)Lack of variety: ND has very little variety of people! Although it is changing slowly, it is not a very diverse state

3) Floods: If you live along the Red River Valley(Fargo area), floods are constant, one of the worst ones being in 1997

4) Tons of people move out: You can ask anybody from ND, vast majority of young people end up moving here to Minneapolis. It is one of the states that has lost more population last year(tied with Michigan)

5) Boredom: This is more of a personal issue but I find Fargo(the biggest city in ND) to be very boring. After you have done downtown, the mall and NDSU, there is not much else to do. Grand Forks and Bismarck are even smaller
It is true that in mentioning why I WANTED to move to North Dakota, I did not mention any potential (true or not true) problems. That is because the question did not ask for a balanced assessment of the state. Instead, the question asked for reasons why someone who is currently living out of state would WANT to move to North Dakota.

Every location has its wonderful points and a few potential problems. If the weather in North Dakota keeps crime, gangs, and people who are not willing to work for a living out and allows people like me the opportunity to afford a single-family home, which is not likely to happen here. I can't say enough good things about the state. Most of the best things in life are free and can be enjoyed in any living room (time with the family) or on any front porch (visiting with neighbors and listening to trees and birds). I'm not worried about North Dakota having a shortage of any of the best things in life.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,930 times
I moved to ND after living in NC, CO, MS, and CT to name a few.

ND fit what I was looking for. It reminding me of how I grew up in a way in NC before it went nuts with the population and the gang issues got really bad in Fort Bragg Area.

As for things to do, it depends I guess on what you consider as things to do. If you are into clubbing and the like, you will not find north dakota interesting at all. If you are a more outdoors person, there is a really good amount for you to do.

As for variety of people, I don't really think that matters, and trust me, I am one of those who adds variety and alittle color to the snow backdrop for sure! To me its the quality of the people, not what you look like that gives me a smile. As someone one told me, you can have variety of A-holes just as easy as 1 type of A-hole.

As for floods, yup, that is a problem along the Red. Just part of living here. Sort of like living in California, you will deal with Earthquakes, or along the coasts you get hurricanes.

As for moving out of the state, I don't doubt it. it happens. Why is my question though? I think it comes to what is available for jobs in the area. I got a nice degree in computers here, and there really wasn't any jobs to start in here. I left, and came back after getting experience which opened the doors. I think that in the next decade, there will be more job opportunities in ND.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:00 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
It is true that in mentioning why I WANTED to move to North Dakota, I did not mention any potential (true or not true) problems. That is because the question did not ask for a balanced assessment of the state. Instead, the question asked for reasons why someone who is currently living out of state would WANT to move to North Dakota.

Every location has its wonderful points and a few potential problems. If the weather in North Dakota keeps crime, gangs, and people who are not willing to work for a living out and allows people like me the opportunity to afford a single-family home, which is not likely to happen here. I can't say enough good things about the state. Most of the best things in life are free and can be enjoyed in any living room (time with the family) or on any front porch (visiting with neighbors and listening to trees and birds). I'm not worried about North Dakota having a shortage of any of the best things in life.

I don't think it is the weather that will keep people who don't want to work out. Look at Minnesota. Some people actually go up to MN so that they can live off of the government due to generous welfare benefits(relatively generous compared to most states), which makes things bad for the people who actually need help. North Dakota doesn't have such generous benefits that I know of(if I'm wrong let me know). That keeps anyone who doesn't want to work out of there.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,438 times
I really hope that one small section of my response about the cold keeping people out of North Dakota who aren't willing to work for a living is not taken out of context, expecially considering the plight of a woman and her children who recently moved to North Dakota and find themselves in need of government assistance. Sometimes a family needs financial help until they can get on their feet. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever for a person or a family who has fallen on hard times turning to the government for temporary financial assistance to help them back on their feet. Usually, public assistance isn't much.

However, I currently live in California where I see people in grocery check out lines using food stamps, yet these same people have expensive hair cuts, manicures, Ipods, and many other things that are considered a luxury for many of us who work to buy our food. I'm sorry, but these are the situations that I have difficulty understanding because I don't understand how they can afford the luxury items and yet be entitled to receive food stamps. I doubt very much that I will see much of that in North Dakota.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
I really hope that one small section of my response about the cold keeping people out of North Dakota who aren't willing to work for a living is not taken out of context, expecially considering the plight of a woman and her children who recently moved to North Dakota and find themselves in need of government assistance. Sometimes a family needs financial help until they can get on their feet. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever for a person or a family who has fallen on hard times turning to the government for temporary financial assistance to help them back on their feet. Usually, public assistance isn't much.

However, I currently live in California where I see people in grocery check out lines using food stamps, yet these same people have expensive hair cuts, manicures, Ipods, and many other things that are considered a luxury for many of us who work to buy our food. I'm sorry, but these are the situations that I have difficulty understanding because I don't understand how they can afford the luxury items and yet be entitled to receive food stamps. I doubt very much that I will see much of that in North Dakota.
You're right~you probably won't see much of it in No. Dak. MOST of the people in the Midwest/High Plains are ashamed if they HAVE to apply for assistance so it's not a common practice. I feel the same way that you do. It's wonderful that it's there because people do run on to hard times and emergencies when it's just impossible to make it without some help. Of course, there are people all over who think it's the way to live, but generally people who have had to get help have accepted it only long enough to get back on their feet.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM

23 posts, read 91,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Please do not also forget about tornados or floods.
Tornado activity in North Dakota very low compared to much of the deep south and central US.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM

23 posts, read 91,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I am from MN and I feel like most people here have never been to ND. I recommend visiting several times before moving!!

1)First, no one has said anything about the cold weather in ND. It is brutal here in MN, in some parts of ND is even worse!!

2)Lack of variety: ND has very little variety of people! Although it is changing slowly, it is not a very diverse state

3) Floods: If you live along the Red River Valley(Fargo area), floods are constant, one of the worst ones being in 1997

4) Tons of people move out: You can ask anybody from ND, vast majority of young people end up moving here to Minneapolis. It is one of the states that has lost more population last year(tied with Michigan)

5) Boredom: This is more of a personal issue but I find Fargo(the biggest city in ND) to be very boring. After you have done downtown, the mall and NDSU, there is not much else to do. Grand Forks and Bismarck are even smaller
I have been to ND many times. It may be boring to you, but a lot of people dream of living a simple, non-stressful life in a peaceful environment. Also, ND has a very low cost of living, good schools, and is very safe.

If you think a city is boring just because it is small, then your logic is very flawed.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickW View Post
I have been to ND many times. It may be boring to you, but a lot of people dream of living a simple, non-stressful life in a peaceful environment. Also, ND has a very low cost of living, good schools, and is very safe.

If you think a city is boring just because it is small, then your logic is very flawed.
You hit the nail on the head. That's why my future home will be in North Dakota. Simple, non-stressful and peaceful. I live near a big city now and can't wait to get away from here. I spent enough of years here already and am ready for a big change.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 26,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boelyngirl View Post
Oh my gosh, I am so SOLD on North Dakota now....how beautiful!!!! Now, if you could just say a bit about Williston I would love it. Thats where we are planning on going.
If I may suggest, Lincoln, ND is just outside of Bismarck. We are located right next to the airport and are conducive to all of the opportunities that a big town allows. However, we are located in an area that allows us the ability to fly under the big city radar. Low taxes, reasonable median home prices, small town atmoshphere, and a penchant for the blue collar worker make Lincoln a desirable place for most family starters in their mid twentiies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota