Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,327 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, we may be transfered to Grand Forks this summer and we are currently in Arizona. My question is, my middle school girl is very nervous about starting over again in a new school, how welcoming are the schools with new kids? She is a great kid and usually makes new friends easily but she was in elementary school last time we moved. Any info would be great she'll be in eight grade next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,974,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarie74 View Post
Hello to everyone, we may be transfered to Grand Forks this summer and we are currently in Arizona. My question is, my middle school girl is very nervous about starting over again in a new school, how welcoming are the schools with new kids? She is a great kid and usually makes new friends easily but she was in elementary school last time we moved. Any info would be great she'll be in eight grade next year.
Hi and welcome to Greater Grand Forks...

The obvious question is Arizona to Grand Forks....have you lived in winter climate yet???

But on to your question....my son is 2 1/2 and I live on the other side of the Red in MN...but I do know many people in my job in Grand Forks who have moved to town due to job related issues and at least in the elementary schools they were able to fit right in. We have the Air Base and the University so the school system and kids to some degree are used to new people moving into the community and schools. Overall school population has continued to decrease despite increasing population as people are having fewer kids nowadays. Do you know where you will be living yet or what part of town you might look? There is Schroeder Middle School which serves the southeast side of town....South Middle School which was built after the flood on the far south side of town....and Valley Middle School which serves the north. There are no bad school in GF...newer yes...but no bad ones. I think if your kid is outgoing and into some activities that she would do fine. The city is large enough to be accepting of newcomers in general. If you are assigned to the Air Base...there is a middle/elementary school on base too.

Sorry I cant get into any specifics as I havent dealt with the issue directly....but I have lived here for 10 years now and have dealt with schools in regard to weather related issues.

Dan

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,327 times
Default Thanks for your response

We have visited Grand Forks in the winter and know about the cold. We have only lived in Arizona for a little over 2 years we are originally from the Pacific Northwest which can get cold but not very often. The schools in Arizona are just not what we were used to and too big and also the crime here is awful and getting worse (I work in the Court system). So , when the opportunity presented itself for a move North we thought we should consider it. The weather here right now is perfect but it doesn't last and soon it will be in the 100's with no relief until October. I just worry about my daughter because its hard being 13 and being a girl let alone the new girl. Anyway, thanks for you post. She is involved in school and also dance and cheer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: