Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The black professionals line instantly gets rid of your credibility here. I don't think most people here care about that.
Yep. Because racism isn't real (sarcasm). Why do some people automatically reject any and all claims of racism despite it being one of the dominant themes themes of US history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yep. Because racism isn't real (sarcasm). Why do some people automatically reject any and all claims of racism despite it being one of the dominant themes themes of US history?
She didn't show any evidence for racism. She simply implied that North Dakotans intentionally refuse to hire black people in certain fields.

To not be able to get a job and then imply that is was racial discrimination without providing any evidence of causality would not hold up in any court. Ask any JD worth their salt and they will tell you.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:49 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Because it is overused these days, often without any basis.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:12 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Racism is real. It's also an overused word that people like to use a cop out for almost anything.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:28 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Racism is real. It's also an overused word that people like to use a cop out for almost anything.
Great post!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:19 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What kind of work did you find? Lawyer work or work that doesn't require having a JD or even a college education? What do you think the market would be like for an inexperienced JD that wanted to open a solo practice? I'm guessing Fargo and Grand Forks would be glutted with UND and the Minnesota law schools' graduates.
Every place is glutted with JD’s nowadays because law schools pump out far too many graduates. This is especially the case in smaller markets, where there is less legal work. My advice to you if you want to stay in the area is to develop practical skills that match the environment. Agriculture and mineral extraction are pretty big up there and at certain times of the year, you can earn more than your typical lawyer. This might mean getting cold and dirty and being relegated to less than desirable areas. No one is going to hand you a desk with corner windows in Fargo or Grand Forks. If you choose this route, I wouldn’t broadcast my JD degree and walk around with an air of superiority. You will meet people from all over with different education levels and life experiences. The key is to meet people and develop practical skills that match the demands of the area. I think going forward that outside of big cities and government, law practice will be a much more part-time, side hustle kind of thing given how automated things have become.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,965 times
I can't speak directly for the legal field in the Fargo-Moorhead area.
However, outside of Microsoft, medicine, and higher education, hiring in FM is more about who you know than what you know. That is specifically true in K-12 education and in business fields. Hiring tends to happen with individuals graduating from programs that local execs know--that means schools in ND, MN, and to a lesser extent SD. It somewhat naturally happens when businesses/organizations hire those who have had internships wit them.
But it can be incredibly difficult for a following spouse w/ experience and accredited degrees to get hired in a comparable position if that experience and education took place somewhere other than the upper Midwest.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:24 PM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times
Quote:

use it as a crutch everytime , it never gets old

Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chienpoo1 View Post
Hi

I am a young mid-thirties West African American who moved to North Dakota 4 years ago due to a government contracting firm who recruited me from another State. The blessings i had for getting employed in the position that i did was my company was in Virginia, thus i did not do that many face to face interview , only skype and extensive background check for my clearance. Fast forward 2016,

my company downsized and i decided to seeking alternative employment on my own in North Dakota, My oh My, the employment landscape here is treacherous. In my previous State, my resume always got me calls, and i was always successful with face to face interviews. Likewise, here in North Dakota, i get calls for my resume and even successfully complete the phone screening, but i have never gotten positive result when i do face to face interviews out here. This has been happening now for 16 months straight. Most of the professional jobs here are reserved for a select few, and North Dakotans are not too keen in allowing outsiders into position they deem important. My husband and I have now come to the conclusion, we have to change States, as North Dakota is not a place for black professionals who are not in CNAs, Group homes, Nursing and the Like. By the way, i have JD and 9 years experience in compliance and program management.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about moving out here, and have the same concerns, please think long and hard before coming here.. this place is not for everyone.

Can I assume the places you checked include Fargo? They've got something close to quarter of a million in metro area, at least 200,000. Every place else I'd expect the small town attitude.

There could be a diverse and tolerant smaller city, but just playing the odds, the bigger the metro area the better chance. Probably you already thought of these things, if so I apologize for stating obvious.

I live in MN, where black people are 20 times more likely to be incarcerated than whites. No other state has this much of a difference. I'm white and our relative lack of freedom makes me wonder if I'd feel safer elsewhere. I went to a local medical center requesting they take my temperature. Instead they had an ambulance take me to a mental prison where they risked killing me nightly with unsafe pills, and in 65 years I'd never been diagnosed with what they claimed my condition was. Best wishes.

P.S. If there is anywhere in US where we aren't guilty until proven innocent, I'd like to know where.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Every place is glutted with JD’s nowadays because law schools pump out far too many graduates. This is especially the case in smaller markets, where there is less legal work. My advice to you if you want to stay in the area is to develop practical skills that match the environment. Agriculture and mineral extraction are pretty big up there and at certain times of the year, you can earn more than your typical lawyer. This might mean getting cold and dirty and being relegated to less than desirable areas. No one is going to hand you a desk with corner windows in Fargo or Grand Forks. If you choose this route, I wouldn’t broadcast my JD degree and walk around with an air of superiority. You will meet people from all over with different education levels and life experiences. The key is to meet people and develop practical skills that match the demands of the area. I think going forward that outside of big cities and government, law practice will be a much more part-time, side hustle kind of thing given how automated things have become.
I am Native American and agree that the JD credential does not give the career "leverage" it once did on an aggregate level for the current cohort of recent law school graduates (even for some top ranking schools). This is another causal variable that should not be ignored. The reality is that there are also many white
law school graduates who are unemployed (not just minorities).
You can do anything with a law degree? No, no you cannot.

I would recommend the OP go back and get a master's in computer science or biomedical engineering
and work with patent law or FDA compliance engineering. There are many such jobs on dice.com,
indeed.com, or linkedin. A JD/PhD (STEM) would thrive in some regions for patent litigation. Just
look at the current legal battle over patents with Google Android and Oracle. Even Apple has a patent
battle with a company in Southern California. Those "patent battles" only benefit the lawyers who
get wealthy from the litigation. The OP should get another credential and move into patent law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle...v._Google,_Inc.

When I took biochemistry the professor told me of a JD who went back and got a PhD in Molecular
Biophysics. Then he went back to New York and made millions in patent law for biotechnology.
A PhD is not absolutely necessary (in my opinion). A master's in computer science should have
good leverage for patent law jobs when combined with a JD.
Qualcomm Files New Patent Infringement Complaints Against Apple | Fortune

But the key then wouuld be to leave ND for some place like Silicon Valley, LA, DC or New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota