Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:12 AM

16,295 posts, read 10,319,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Honestly 20 years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to just drive up to the Canadian check point and tell them I just wanted to turn around. They would have just directed me where to turn around and the American guards would have probably just waved me through. But these days I hear plenty of horror stories about both the Canadian and American guards. Now I wouldn't even want to get near the border.
I've been working on this goal of driving the entire interstate system for many years. Way back when, well before 9/11, when I was completing I-95, I drove up to the Houlton border crossing. I told the Canadian guard that I missed the last exit and wanted to turn around, and without any questions, he waved me through. Then, when I got to the American guard, I told him that I had missed the last exit and had just been turned around by the Canadian guard. Without any questions, he waved me through. It sure was a different time then.

Luckily for me, I-29 was the last border crossing I have to deal with. I've now completed all of the interstates that cross either the northern or southern borders. From here on out, I'm going to take your advice and stay well clear of the borders, unless I'm planning on crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 08:34 PM

15,189 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've been working on this goal of driving the entire interstate system for many years. Way back when, well before 9/11, when I was completing I-95, I drove up to the Houlton border crossing. I told the Canadian guard that I missed the last exit and wanted to turn around, and without any questions, he waved me through. Then, when I got to the American guard, I told him that I had missed the last exit and had just been turned around by the Canadian guard. Without any questions, he waved me through. It sure was a different time then.

Luckily for me, I-29 was the last border crossing I have to deal with. I've now completed all of the interstates that cross either the northern or southern borders. From here on out, I'm going to take your advice and stay well clear of the borders, unless I'm planning on crossing.
That's the way I feel. Getting a passport card so I can drive across the border has been on my to-do list for sometime. But now I think I'm just going to forget about it. It's just not worth the hassle. There are plenty of other places I can go without getting near a border.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:38 AM

355 posts, read 222,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
one of the agents rudely admonished me that this was not permitted.
"You can't film the cops!"

That is a lie.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,411,146 times
I have never had a problem getting back into USA, but going into Canada, I’ve been given some serious s***, so much that I may never return. I think they profile my vehicle.

I was detained at BC border and they told me I had cocaine residue on my wallet. I laughed and told them that everyone knows that dollar bills in circulation have minute cocaine residue on them. That shut them up, but I’m sick of that crap, they need to find the REAL mules, I am not it.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:57 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I have never had a problem getting back into USA, but going into Canada, I’ve been given some serious s***, so much that I may never return. I think they profile my vehicle.

I was detained at BC border and they told me I had cocaine residue on my wallet. I laughed and told them that everyone knows that dollar bills in circulation have minute cocaine residue on them. That shut them up, but I’m sick of that crap, they need to find the REAL mules, I am not it.
Yup. If you've been hassled a couple of times or more then that means your ID has been red-flagged in the border data-base that is shared between Canada and USA. You need to understand it's not necessarily your vehicle that has been profiled, it's YOU that has been profiled and red-flagged in the shared data-base. Although, if the vehicle you're driving is a piece of old junk or something that's all tricked out, that will certainly set off red flags for them on both sides of the border before you even get a chance to present your ID. They have valid reasons for red-flagging junkers and tricked out vehicles. But if you want to put it to the test try going across the border driving in a different vehicle, or as a passenger in a friend's car with your friend driving and see what happens when your ID or passport is presented.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 17,653 times
Reading this thread reminded me of an event years ago when living in Yuma Arizona. Its about a 3 hour run over to San Diego where there is goo food, good shopping, and most of all, its cool (compared to Yuma most of the year. )
The Border Patrol has permanent station up in the mountains on I-8 with an officer posted inspecting all vehicles. For some reason I was alone as was making trip late at night. This usually a quiet boring run except for a hard pull out of El Centro, Am not a truck driver, it just steep upgrade I was about half asleep enjoying the cool mountain air when pulling up to the check point. I told the officer he was going to wake me up. He laughed and waved me on through.

Last edited by TLeeBlanq; 05-16-2021 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-16-2021, 10:55 PM

32,812 posts, read 12,097,307 times
Quote:
That's the way I feel. Getting a passport card so I can drive across the border has been on my to-do list for sometime. But now I think I'm just going to forget about it. It's just not worth the hassle. There are plenty of other places I can go without getting near a border.
I don't know how it is now but, pre-COVID, there was at least one place where you could legally physically go into (stand in, and walk a bit in) Canada without presenting any ID.......Peace Arch Park.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't know how it is now but, pre-COVID, there was at least one place where you could legally physically go into (stand in, and walk a bit in) Canada without presenting any ID.......Peace Arch Park.
Sure the International Peace Garden or the Peace Arch Park, but you are still going to have to pass through U.S. Immigration and Customs when you come back. Anyway I believe they are both currently shut down anyway.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:31 PM

32,812 posts, read 12,097,307 times
Quote:
Sure the International Peace Garden or the Peace Arch Park, but you are still going to have to pass through U.S. Immigration and Customs when you come back. Anyway I believe they are both currently shut down anyway.
Nope. Not pre-COVID at least.

Peace Arch Park straddles the border, with the arch in the middle pretty much straddling the border.

My understanding from staff and from Canadians I spoke with in the park is that there is intense camera scrutiny of the walkways and the parking lots to make sure that visitors return where they came from.

I personally parked in closest parking lot on the U.S. side, walked all around the park on both the U.S. side and the Canadian side, and then freely walked back to my car, as did many other people that day.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Nope. Not pre-COVID at least.

Peace Arch Park straddles the border, with the arch in the middle pretty much straddling the border.

My understanding from staff and from Canadians I spoke with in the park is that there is intense camera scrutiny of the walkways and the parking lots to make sure that visitors return where they came from.

I personally parked in closest parking lot on the U.S. side, walked all around the park on both the U.S. side and the Canadian side, and then freely walked back to my car, as did many other people that day.
US - Canada Border security is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota