Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
419 posts, read 1,390,983 times
Reputation: 358

Advertisements

I would somewhat have to agree w/ Dan C. I haven't lived in SD, but I've been in Fargo for almost 19 years now. I _still_ get "well, you're not from here after all."

So, when I'm asked the question "Where are you from?" I specifically answer, "I live in Fargo" and the unspoken second half of the sentence is "but I'm from the Great Lakes."

 
Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
 
5 posts, read 20,419 times
Reputation: 11
no you got it all wrong the saying is minnesota sucks and montana blows thats why its always so miserably windy in north dakota yep all the time it sucks here i believe south dakota is better but not by a whole lot both pretty lame state well north dakota has a strong economy but not a damn thing to offer its people the jobs pay crappy for the work
 
Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs area
573 posts, read 1,446,083 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.mernitz View Post
no you got it all wrong the saying is minnesota sucks and montana blows thats why its always so miserably windy in north dakota yep all the time it sucks here i believe south dakota is better but not by a whole lot both pretty lame state well north dakota has a strong economy but not a damn thing to offer its people the jobs pay crappy for the work
It is all relative---it is very cheap to live in ND so pay will be cheaper also. If you lived in Seattle, the pay would be alot more but the average house in King county sells for $400,000 and that does not get you much----cost of living is very high here. If I moved to ND, I could live like a Queen. I would also not describe ND and SD as lame states----it all depends on what you like and want out of life. I think if you do not like where you are then find somewhere else that soots your needs and wants. This is a big country and lots out their if you just look and venture.
 
Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Baywood Park
1,634 posts, read 6,696,107 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.mernitz View Post
no you got it all wrong the saying is minnesota sucks and montana blows thats why its always so miserably windy in north dakota yep all the time it sucks here i believe south dakota is better but not by a whole lot both pretty lame state well north dakota has a strong economy but not a damn thing to offer its people the jobs pay crappy for the work
aren't the oil workers in west ND making good money? It sounds like it might not be too impressive. Are the managers and execs. the only ones making money out there?
 
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,509 times
Reputation: 10
Default Sd

North Dakota is even colder... and the weather forecast for my SD town tomorrow on Weather.com says "bitterly cold w/ dangerous wind chills.."
What did that earlier poster say? Oh yeah, South Dakota sucks and ND blows.
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
 
180 posts, read 632,057 times
Reputation: 278
My Opinion:

Fargo better than Sioux Falls

Bismarck better than Rapid City

I wouldn't consider living anywhere else in either state so ND wins.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 02:13 PM
 
1,016 posts, read 3,027,220 times
Reputation: 679
I wouldn't necessarily look at the Fessenden thread as very good evidence by which to judge the entire rural population of the state. Actually, I wouldn't even look at it as very good evidence by which to judge Fessenden.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM
 
2,398 posts, read 5,390,449 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
My Opinion:

Fargo better than Sioux Falls

Bismarck better than Rapid City

I wouldn't consider living anywhere else in either state so ND wins.
Have you been to Sioux Falls or Rapid City? You have to visit them to appreciate them! I love Fargo and Bismarck...especially Bismarck/Mandan...there's a certain charm to it, in my opinion. I envy the Fargo Dome! Hopefully Sioux Falls can get something similar. A committee recently toured the Fargo Dome, as well as event centers in Sioux City and Omaha, as SF is looking to build a new one. Here's a link (you will need QuickTime): siouxfalls.org: Events Center Task Force Video Update (http://www.siouxfalls.org/News/2008/December/15/event_center_update - broken link) ...it's shows some of the interior of the Fargo Dome.
I love how versatile the Fargo Dome is...

In my opinion, Rapid City is more scenic, but has more crime than Bismarck. Bismarck is "cleaner" and is easier to navigate, as the streets are laid out in a grid pattern. Fargo isn't growing as fast as Sioux Falls, which could be a good thing. Fargo is easy to navigate, but having every street numbered with cardinal directions is confusing at times. Fargo also has the "clean" feel like Bismarck and Sioux Falls. I think that crime is about the same in Fargo and Sioux Falls.
 
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
TSN
 
22 posts, read 51,226 times
Reputation: 17
I grew up in Grand Forks, ND and lived near Rapid City, SD for 9 years.

In SDAK, the eastern side gets paid more then the west, however, accepting lower wages to live in the Black Hills is definitely worth the sacrifice. The western side of SDAK there is hiking, biking, snowmobiling, skiing, rock climbing, cave splunking, hunting & fishing, mounds of tour attractions, and ofcoarse the Sturgis Motorcycle rally. The Black Hills area is also in the banana belt so the weather in the winter can be in the 60's one day then the next it is 15 degrees! The summer gets blazeing hot usually smells like forest fires!

The eastern side of SDAK there is snowmobiling (flat land), hunting, and fishing. South Dakota is more known for their ranching in general.

Eastern North Dakota is flat land as well. Miles upon miles of nothing to look at other then tractors farming the fields in the spring-fall. No good fishing that I can think of off hand unless you go to the neighbors in Minnesota. I have only visited western North Dakota and all that was rememberable was the Bad Lands.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
1,034 posts, read 1,238,431 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
I grew up in Grand Forks, ND and lived near Rapid City, SD for 9 years.

In SDAK, the eastern side gets paid more then the west, however, accepting lower wages to live in the Black Hills is definitely worth the sacrifice. The western side of SDAK there is hiking, biking, snowmobiling, skiing, rock climbing, cave splunking, hunting & fishing, mounds of tour attractions, and ofcoarse the Sturgis Motorcycle rally. The Black Hills area is also in the banana belt so the weather in the winter can be in the 60's one day then the next it is 15 degrees! The summer gets blazeing hot usually smells like forest fires!

The eastern side of SDAK there is snowmobiling (flat land), hunting, and fishing. South Dakota is more known for their ranching in general.

Eastern North Dakota is flat land as well. Miles upon miles of nothing to look at other then tractors farming the fields in the spring-fall. No good fishing that I can think of off hand unless you go to the neighbors in Minnesota. I have only visited western North Dakota and all that was rememberable was the Bad Lands.
Since Devils Lake has swelled the fishing is great there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top