Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

Does North Dakota identify with the Midwest (Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, etc.)? It's a farming state, but it's more rugged than its eastern neighbors and has that cowboy thing going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
From what I've encountered from ND-born individuals: ND considers itself Midwest along w/ SD, NE, KS, IA and perhaps MN. They defintely consider MI and OH to be "out east" and WI, IL and IN are marginally but not truly midwestern.
So much depends on perspective . . .

Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I would consider North Dakota to be part of the Great Plains sub-region. North Dakota is a Plains state along with South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. States in the Midwest are more lush and green with deciduous and coniferous forests. Crops in the Midwest core do not have to be irrigated compared with the Great Plains.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
My mom's family grew up in Central Kansas, and they always thought of the plains as the "midwest", although they knew it was different from Iowa. Oddly enough, my mom thought of Michigan and Ohio as "back east"

I agree with Plains10. It's the midwest, but a sub-region within the midwest.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
The far eastern edge of ND is definitely midwestern but once you get out to Bismarck it seems more Western or Great Plains in nature. The Red River Valley of the North seems to be border region between the two regions.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
The far eastern edge of ND is definitely midwestern but once you get out to Bismarck it seems more Western or Great Plains in nature. The Red River Valley of the North seems to be border region between the two regions.
Agree with this post.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Agree with this post.
I do too. Once you hit the 100th meridian (about 1/2 way across the state) you leave the humid Midwest (farms) and enter the arid West (ranches). The area around Theodore Roosevelt National Park is nothing like you'll see in the midwest, it definitely has a Western look and feel. The ND state tourism ads they air on TV here in the Twin Cities definitely play up the state's "Westernness".

Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM

180 posts, read 634,716 times
I'd tend to agree with Fargo Bison but another thing to ponder:

From John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley in Search of America

"Someone must have told me about the Missouri River at Bismarck, North Dakota, or I must have read about it. In either case, I hadn't paid attention. I came on it in amazement. Here is where the map should fold. Here is the boundary between east and west. On the Bismarck side it is eastern landscape, eastern grass, with the look and smell of eastern America. Across the Missouri on the Mandan side, it is pure west, with brown grass and water scorings and small outcrops. The two sides of the river might well be a thousand miles apart."

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Does North Dakota identify with the Midwest (Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, etc.)? It's a farming state, but it's more rugged than its eastern neighbors and has that cowboy thing going on.
Presently living on the central coast of California(moving back home to ND soon). Out here, if you say your going back east, it means you left California. To Californian's everything is out east when not in California, so consequently, there is no midwest..... Only east...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I agree with MikeyToo about California. When I lived there, I was surprised to hear Illinois referred to as "back east". Re: N. Dakota, its as my DH says about Nebraska, his home state: "Mid-Plains" or "Great-West".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota