Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM

59 posts, read 171,691 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys. I'm currently a junior in high school and I'll be a senior when I finish school next week. I've decided to plan ahead and start looking at possible colleges now so I have a clear path when it comes time to apply. I'm looking at the UND in Grand Forks for Criminal Justice. I'm not here to question the school, though--I can see that when I visit the campus. I would like to know how is the town. What's it like living in Grand Forks? How's the music scene and the nightlife? I'm from Minnesota so the weather aspect isn't a problem. How is the town in terms of riding a bike around? Is the public transportation nice or is it a car city? That's all I'd like to know. If there is anything you feel like adding please tell me. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,970,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Hi, guys. I'm currently a junior in high school and I'll be a senior when I finish school next week. I've decided to plan ahead and start looking at possible colleges now so I have a clear path when it comes time to apply. I'm looking at the UND in Grand Forks for Criminal Justice. I'm not here to question the school, though--I can see that when I visit the campus. I would like to know how is the town. What's it like living in Grand Forks? How's the music scene and the nightlife? I'm from Minnesota so the weather aspect isn't a problem. How is the town in terms of riding a bike around? Is the public transportation nice or is it a car city? That's all I'd like to know. If there is anything you feel like adding please tell me. Much appreciated.
I have lived and work in the Grand Forks area for 9 years now...I hate to say I am a bit beyond school years (having graduated from college - not UND - 2 20 years ago)...so nightlife and music scene I am not into right now. There are several local blogs on the area...the best one for general information is Grand Forks Life There is a local music scene being a college town and there has been a rapid growth in the number of bars/clubs downtown and I would say downtown bar scene is the most popular area attm. Granted when I say growth....I am still talking in relative small terms in comparison to a larger city such as Fargo, the Twin Cities, etc. But you will find several places to hang out. During the summer the town is pretty "sleepy" for college students but in the school year there are a number of things to do as many businesses do cater to the student clientele. The main restaurant area is along 32nd Ave S. So...in answer to your question about transportation...yes a car is needed. There is a public bus system and I know they have tried a night bus as well...but frequency of stops and locations would make depending on it to get around very difficult.

There has been many new apartment building built in town in the 5 years. Most of these are a bit beyond campus but within an easy drive.

Grand Forks as is the whole Red River valley is flat and wind is a major factor in most months...particularly in the winter. If you live in the Twin Cities or southern Minnesota you will find it significantly colder up here than you are used to.

The Greenway system was recently completed due to the finish of the new levee/flood control system. There are now many bike paths around town and computing by bike is pretty popular in the warm season. There are paths to take you to most any place in the city.

http://www.grandforksgov.com/greenway/2008_BikeMap_Brochure.pdf (broken link)

Overall I like Grand Forks. I personally am a cold weather person who likes flat land...so here I am. But the school and the town are always trying to improve relations. One thing is there are excellent sport facilities and hockey is king...with football second.

If I can help further let me know...

Dan

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Actually Dan you've been quite helpful, and I appreciate you for telling me these things. Yes, I'm from the Twin Cities so the cold will be a bit of an adjustment. But overall you've told me all I wanted to know. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,475,143 times
The University is definitely walkable. The only time you need a car if you live on campus is for the occasional runs to walmart/target. When I went there they had a $1 taxi program.
Oh yeah, Since you're obviously under 21 a car comes in handy for the monthly trip to Canada. You only have to be 18 to drink there.

Out of high school I joined the Marines and didn't start school until I was 23. I of course rented an apartment off campus and worked to pay for it. If you need a job and can afford the crappy pay get a work study job on campus.

My advise to you is, no matter where you go to school, is to live in the dorms and forget about living off campus. As a young guy (under 21) thats what you want to do. . Since I was a few years older I never lived on campus : but if you want to meet people, girls, the dorms is the way to go.

My other piece of advice is to take a class that your friends would make fun of you for taking. I once took a class called "makeup theater television". I thought it was a type of improve course. It was actually a course on applying makeup. I was the only guy in a class of twenty. It was great. I also enjoyed geology. The great thing about a liberal arts degree is that you have to take a certain number of credits that have nothing to do with your degree.

I kind of answered short but when you choose a University I think that the campus is more important than the town. As a young person that is where you will spend 95% of your time.

P.S. If you get a choice on dorms pick one west of the English Coullie. (How do you spell coullie?) It's a much shorter walk in the dead of winter.

Last edited by roundball; 06-05-2008 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks Roundball. My older brother (24) has been telling me the same thing in terms of living on and off campus. But the trips to Canada are new to me, and I'm very glad you brought that up. I'll take your advice on the class thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota