Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM

182 posts, read 469,348 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in North Dakota.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is North Dakota a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is North Dakota a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Colorado
Nebraska
South Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
North Dakota
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Colorado
Nebraska
South Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

If I were you I would look at the ones in bold. By what you said, I think you would be happier in one of those states.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM

23 posts, read 102,157 times
Well, South Dakota may interest her as well, considering the Black hills is not a full mountain range but has a good mix of both plains and mountain? Possibly?

Montana from my experience is a lot like western ND with the badlands (but I haven't' been far to the west so I couldn't say on that.

New Mexico is about the same as Texas in regards to the summer heat. I can't speak on Utah or Wyoming as I have never lived in either state. Nebraska is tornado country and doesn't have much for Mountains.

Colorado is nice and my sister loves it out there, however the snow falls very heavy in the winter and depending on where you live in the state, you could find adjusting to higher altitudes a bit hard, otherwise you may enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Just for the record, eastern and western MT are like night and day. Eastern MT is very similar to western ND...but Western MT is very mountainous and very forested...the entire western 1/3 of MT is a part of the Rocky Mountain range.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM

23 posts, read 102,157 times
Thanks Roloff. That's what I thought but I wasn't going to say that without knowing for a fact.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM

I have never had any troubles adjusting to altitude changes, but who knows how my fiance and niece would adapt. Good thing to think about...Thanks.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
1.) Is North Dakota a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?

Sure. If you can find a job, in general you are good to go. North Dakota has a funny way of doing things for newly graduated people, or at least, that what I saw initially. Jobs are looking for people who have experience, but, to get experience, you need a job first. I know of people who left ND for a few years to get experience so they could come back and work. Seems if the companies would hire them out of college and build on that, cut down on the "no jobs" situation some. You want to keep young people here in ND, HIRE them.

2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
For a 4 bedroom 2br 1800ish square ft home, 1990s built, you could look at about 120 - 150k, depending on the home and assuming its in a city or close to a city location. Taxes however are high in the state, for that home I stated property taxes in Fargo are about 2500 a year.

As a side note you won't be seeing incomes like say CA or the east coast for sure, but in general you are not paying 500K for a dump either.

3.) Is North Dakota a good place to raise a child?

North Dakota is an excellent place to raise a family. That is one of the big factors that lead us to come back to the state. Low population that due to the perceived weather issue keeps it low (cold yes, polar bears, no, and I have been asked about how the polar bears are here!). Excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, and in general a good "bootstraps" mentality of the people. You want these kind of values in your kids. After living in CT and seeing the "give me something for nothing" mentality that a lot of the youth were raised with, its a real shame. And the schools were a joke. You basically had to either sacrifice yourself to the mortgage company to get into a good public school area, or, put aside a chunk for private schools.

It is also nice that of the states out there, ND didn't appear to get itself really mixed up in the mortgage crisis like other places as you could afford a home with conventional lending practices, instead of Ninja loans. They also have a nice first time home buyer program through the state too.

All in all, I really like it out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: