Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,832 times

Advertisements

Hi jackson, you mentioned your wife goes to DSU I was wondering what that's like. I just applied there I am I hoping I get in. I am from the Caribbean so this will not be a new state move, this will be a new country move but I'm up for an adventure. Any info would be appreciated. BTW I'm in my early 30's and black would that make a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 AM

17 posts, read 60,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by championingod View Post
Hi jackson, you mentioned your wife goes to DSU I was wondering what that's like. I just applied there I am I hoping I get in. I am from the Caribbean so this will not be a new state move, this will be a new country move but I'm up for an adventure. Any info would be appreciated. BTW I'm in my early 30's and black would that make a difference
I don't think it would make a difference so much as "racism" more a curiosity. I have an african american friend who has come with me to visit extended family up in Valley City where the population is 97% white and of course she gets the curious stares (especially from younger kids who have probably not seen a black person before) but I know the people and they aren't "racist" just curious. Kind of a "I wonder where she's from, what does she do, I wonder who her family is" and so on. If you think about it if you went 50 years and only saw a few green people you'd want to get to know more about them naturally.

As long as you are kind you will be treated the same. People in North Dakota are used to their ways and aren't used to disruptions from "outsiders" so to speak. As long as they realize you aren't a threat they will go on in their way of life.

Try introducing yourself to others. Say hi to people in the store. Ask for help finding something even if you don't need it. The cashier will drum up a conversation with you and will pass the word around "yes miss betty that new fella/gal over on blah blah road sure is a sweet/rude one s/he was in here just the other day"

If you don't put yourself out there people will continue to be curious and skeptical of your intentions. Simple answer, be sure to advertise "We come in peace" lol

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by championingod View Post
BTW I'm in my early 30's and black would that make a difference

North Dakotans in general from what I have seen are good people. I have had plenty of them come up to me, and not just the younger ones who grew up without a lot of the notions prevalent about people of color, I mean the really old types to comment on my family and how beautiful our kids are. They would literally go out of there way to come up to us at times.

So coming from someone who is basically the same as you, no, you shouldn't have "problems". And if you did, what then? Do you chalk up certain individuals reactions to you as being the actions of a whole group, or do we not let those ignorant people control our lives? I don't personally worry about those who are too cowardly to say anything to me that they truely feel, so you shouldn't either.

I teach my kids to be proud Americans first, and as you know, we Americans come in a variety of colors.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,910 times
OK..So this is my first time in this Forum, and I also have a question. I am from Denver Colorado. I am a POlice Officer fo the City of Denver and am looking for a change. I have applied and being interviewed for the "Oil Jobs" talked about. I am married and have 6 kids ,4 of which will follow me. Bothe places offered to me were Dickinson or Rock Springs. In all where would be the better of the two for family and housing? Any information would be great thanks. MGM

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM

59 posts, read 234,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFam6 View Post
OK..So this is my first time in this Forum, and I also have a question. I am from Denver Colorado. I am a POlice Officer fo the City of Denver and am looking for a change. I have applied and being interviewed for the "Oil Jobs" talked about. I am married and have 6 kids ,4 of which will follow me. Bothe places offered to me were Dickinson or Rock Springs. In all where would be the better of the two for family and housing? Any information would be great thanks. MGM
i would say dickinson theres lots to do for kids ,but housing can be hard to find and expensive we moved here from california and are still living in a rv trailer until we can find a place thas not too expensive they are out there you just have to act quick to get them, but it is a really nice place to live we really like it here !

Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 50,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmeyerw View Post
i would say dickinson theres lots to do for kids ,but housing can be hard to find and expensive we moved here from california and are still living in a rv trailer until we can find a place thas not too expensive they are out there you just have to act quick to get them, but it is a really nice place to live we really like it here !
Where in CA are you from? My husband is in the oil industry and just got offered a job in Sidney, MT or Belfield, ND so we will be moving in January. Excited for all the changes, but have no idea what to expect!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFam6 View Post

I don't know anything about Dickinson, but I can tell you that I would take Rock Springs.

No State Income Tax in Wyoming.
Outstanding schools.
Housing "IS" available.
Close to outdoor activities, lakes, hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, etc...

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM

59 posts, read 234,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAfilly View Post
Where in CA are you from? My husband is in the oil industry and just got offered a job in Sidney, MT or Belfield, ND so we will be moving in January. Excited for all the changes, but have no idea what to expect!
we are from mcarthur CA its about 80 miles NE of redding , we live in belfield ND now and we love it here the people are so much nicer and helpful here .we are very happy to be out of CA .even though we are living in a RV trailer for now its worth it ! my hubby has it all insulated so its really comfortable .if theres any questions you have just let me know !

Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonpg15 View Post
To anyone planning on moving to Dickinson. I wouldn't unless you have family in the area. My wife and I moved here 3 years ago and haven't had any luck making friends or finding anything interesting in the area to do. She currently attends DSU and i work in the oil field, so we are around people all day but no one seems to want to hang out after school/work. everybody in this town just goes home and hides. but if you are into the college party seen the bars do stay busy but being in our mid 20's and having a kid we are past that stage. I find the people out in public very unfriendly and stand offish (if that is a word). I grew up in central South Dakota and don't get me wrong the people weren't much different there either. But after living in Atlanta for 4 years before moving to dickinson goes to show it is a midwest thing. People around Atlanta would go out of their way to hold a door, say hi, or even look you in the eye when they spoke to you. And if you want to still move here I will sell you my house!!
Not sure why you stay in Dickinson if you are so negative. If you have not made any friends in Dickinson, I would not necessarily blame just the people--it takes two. People in Dickinson are very trusting and friendly. There are things to do here if you want to. One of the greatest fitness centers in the state of ND, softball, volleyball leagues, baseball teams, plays, etc. Dickinson is growing-the oil industry has really expanded the city, lots of new and friendly faces. If you can't find a friend or someone to befriend take a look in the mirror. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota