Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by salted_moon View Post
hi my husband and i are moving to Bismarck, ND within a month..Im originally from Ukraine and we'd like to meet people who came from the same apart of the Earth as I did (my hubby is American). One of the biggest reasons that m husband and I are russian Orthodox and we would love to make friends with people who have the same believes as we do. Of course personally I also would love to have couple friends speaking my native language so.. does anybody know where we could meet russian, ukrainian people? or maybe somebody knows them personally? i would appreciate any kind of info
Hello,
There is a Greek Orthodox community in Minot. The priest comes to Bismarck once a month to serve at the Mission there.
I am sure by now you have met many people since the area is small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,357 times
Quote:
hi my husband and i are moving to Bismarck, ND within a month..Im originally from Ukraine and we'd like to meet people who came from the same apart of the Earth as I did (my hubby is American). One of the biggest reasons that m husband and I are russian Orthodox and we would love to make friends with people who have the same believes as we do. Of course personally I also would love to have couple friends speaking my native language so.. does anybody know where we could meet russian, ukrainian people? or maybe somebody knows them personally? i would appreciate any kind of info
Hello! I am from Ukraine, Kiev, but now live in Fergus Falls, MN. And I'd like to meet some ukrainians or russians friends here.... princess-in-castle@hotmail.com

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 15,464 times
Quote:
I know your post is a couple years old now but I would like an update to your status if you don't mind. You see I am an American married to Ukrainian and we have three sons ages 3 months to 7 years. I work in the oil & gas industry and recently started working in western North Dakota. I am staying in my 5th wheel in Stanley while my wife and kids wait for their immigration visa. Once they get their visas we have to plan on where we will set up house-keeping and that may well be here in North Dakota. I am sure it would ease my wife's transition if she had someone from her home country to talk to once in awhile.

BTW: My wife is from the Donetsk Region so she speaks predominantly Russian. She tells me she wouldn't be welcomed in the western part of Ukraine but I imagine all that regional differences would be totally forgotten over here.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I doubt you'll get a reply. That person hasn't logged on in about 8 months to even read results. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,860 times
Default Hi ekimsnevets,

Quote:
know your post is a couple years old now but I would like an update to your status if you don't mind. You see I am an American married to Ukrainian and we have three sons ages 3 months to 7 years. I work in the oil & gas industry and recently started working in western North Dakota. I am staying in my 5th wheel in Stanley while my wife and kids wait for their immigration visa. Once they get their visas we have to plan on where we will set up house-keeping and that may well be here in North Dakota. I am sure it would ease my wife's transition if she had someone from her home country to talk to once in awhile.

BTW: My wife is from the Donetsk Region so she speaks predominantly Russian. She tells me she wouldn't be welcomed in the western part of Ukraine but I imagine all that regional differences would be totally forgotten over here.
It's nice of you to care about your wife's assimilation. I'm also from Ukraine and I know a couple of Russian-Ukrainians in ND. If you'd like to give my e-mail to your wife, I could connect her with some people: sunly-duck@yandex.ru
By the way, I'm not from Western Ukraine but I went to school there. I'd made a lot of good friends there despite of mine mixed origins. Nationalism overthere is kind of like rasism, I think, depends on what sort of people you meet. Once you get to know a person, you forget what language he/she speaks or what culture they belong to.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,968 times
Today during our Rotary meeting, one employee was telling us they hired 2 Ukranian students and that they need housing.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I doubt you'll get a reply. That person hasn't logged on in about 8 months to even read results. Sorry.
Actually she replied within a few days after I sent here a direct message. She and her husband do live in Bismarck and she said she looked forward to meeting my wife if/when I get her moved up that way.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Sending a direct message can generate an EMAIL to alert her she's got a message.

My point was, and still is, when you posted, she hadn't logged on in several months. I was just trying to let you know you might not get a response to a post on this thread.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks, and mine was to let anyone else that comes along to know that, whether or not she replies on this forum, she did indeed reply with a positive and informative message. It was helpful. As you know, these posts are also sent to our registered email so she is reading these messages also. Thanks again

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Exactly. I agree with you. To update, I am taking my wife and boys to Kiev for their visa interview Aug 11th. I am told it doesn't take too much longer to get a visa after that. Meanwhile, since I last posted I have been dispatched to work the entire time in West Virginia. I am still set up in Stanley but we got busy out here in the northeast. Stuff like this just adds to the indecision of where to establish a home. I appreciate your reply and know how to get in touch if/when my wife gets here in ND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota