Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,137 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Oklahoma 7 years ago I meet my husband here (he is a local) I would never live anywhere else!!!! We will never leave the Dakotas now I was excepted extremally fast. If you like small towns I mean small ours has a popluation of 100 housing is cheap. the bigger the town the more the price goes up. along with the jobs. You will find less problems with tolerance in the bigger places also. As a parent of two small children its the only place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,332 times
I wanted to add a little snippet here. My husband was born in Tenn. and his family spent his first 10 years in MS. before moving to California, where he's been for 29 years. While speaking with townsfolk in Valley City ND, they'd notice the accent he still has, and inquire where he was from. they ALL seemed happy that he wanted to move to their town, and welcomed him warmly and quite positively. He didn't receive one single bad remark or not a single slur asking if he lived in a trailer or was I really his sister... etc... If any of them ever traveled to the area, or had relatives in the South, they would mention the city they lived in, or make a nice comment about the state.

Speaking of accents: I talked to several people up there and now wonder if the accent I heard was Norwegian. I couldn't pin it down for anything. Being we'd never traveled to Canada, thought maybe there was a "Canadian accent". Hmmm...

Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM

180 posts, read 634,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-colleen View Post
Speaking of accents: I talked to several people up there and now wonder if the accent I heard was Norwegian. I couldn't pin it down for anything. Being we'd never traveled to Canada, thought maybe t
here was a "Canadian accent". Hmmm...
It's an upper midwestern accent and it's a sign of superior intelligence .

Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
It's an upper midwestern accent and it's a sign of superior intelligence .
I love it!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM

213 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
I don't think your southern accent will make you a target of any jokes...people will probably comment that they find it is cute.
I agree. People will probably find your accent charming. If you've got good looks and a brain (already affirmed w/ degree) to go along with the accent, look out!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,674 times
A bit delayed in response here....BUT....my husband is from Texas and was transferred up to the Candian/US border in North Dakota. He's lived here now for 4 years and acceptance......the people in ND LOVE IT!!! They LOVE that Southern drawl!! NO WORRIES! If you're not here to cause trouble...you'll be accepted, no matter what you sound like or look like. One suggestion....speak SLOWLY!! Otherwise they won't understand you!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 AM

27 posts, read 121,560 times
Simply the best postings I have read to date,so let me put my pennies worth in if I may.I lived in Ga. for 25 years and last fall we bout a small house in a very rural town north of Minot for 11k,ok,it's a really small house,LOL,but it's nice and the taxes are dirt cheap,even cheaper than Ga. and we kept the heat and elec on all winter as we haven't moved yet and even those were inexpensive in my few.But here's the kicker and I say this with my southern drawl.A nice older couple we have never seen,yet talk to every week,have checked our house and heat etc every single day all winter long.Now where have you ever seen this and better yet,how do we repay their kindness.I'll take the cold,snowy and harsh winters anytime because as far as I'm concerned,with all my travels and states I have lived in,this North Dakota sounds like a mighty nice place.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Now where have you ever seen this and better yet,how do we repay their kindness.//Unquote

What a wonderful post. You repay them by taking them out to dinner OR better yet, invite them over for a barbeque and spend the evening with them. I'll bet that's more then they would expect.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
I'm from the deep south but my accent has faded a little over 20 years of military service. I came to similar conclusions about trying a part of the country that is totally new to me and applied for federal jobs in MT and ND.

There's a few ways to consider moving "up north", but I'm looking into it simply for something different. If your line of work is somewhat portable, you can always bail out after a few years and head back to 'skeeter country.

My grandpa took a few hunting trips up there and he'd always talk about the cold in this way, " There ain't nothing between you an the north pole when you're up there, but that 40 below keeps the riff-raff out."

Good luck in your job hunt.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I was thinking about the northern part of the country (especially North Dakota) for job opportunities after grad school, and I was wondering, how do you think I would be treated, being from the Southern United States?

Don't jump to early conclusions, however. I have a Southern drawl, I'm from South Mississippi, but I'm not your stereotypical media "redneck." I did not grow up in a trailer, I HATE country music, I don't wave a rebel flag or drive a truck, I dress more urbanite than farm boy...etc, etc. I still wonder, with the accent and just knowing I'm from the South, how I would be handled.

Here (I'm in Arkansas now) the problem is that I'm not Southern enough, and I just wonder if just being Southern at all would be cause for jokes and snickers at my expense in the north. I want to find a nice, round the calendar cool weather place with friendly people to spend the early years of my career, and I don't want to take a job offer and suddenly regret it.

Not only that, but if homes are very expensive, I would be losing money and respect.

Hopefully someone can give me a good idea of what it's like.

I'm from Texas, moved to Arkansas (town of Austin, east of Cabot) and now I'm up here. I had no problem with anyone or anything. I live in Minot, a military town that has a huge diversity people. Come on up ya'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota