Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 15,507 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about the Towner, ND area. What's there in Towner? I'm interested in checking into the farm jobs with housing. Also how does one get there from the nearest Greyhound busline route thru ND. I'm just stumped looking at the google map for distances. thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Hi

Greyhound and Jefferson bus lines cut services to parts of ND over the past few years. Greyhound goes along I-94 and I-29 but not along Highway 2 which goes thru Towner. Jefferson bus lines goes up I-29 with service to the far eastern part of the state.

Your best bet might be on Amtrak....depending on where you are from. Amtrak as service along the northern route through Minot to Rugby to Devils Lake to Grand Forks and then onto Fargo...Minneapolis and Chicago. But you will still have to find transportation or a ride from a friendly stranger to Towner. I travel back and forth along Highway 2 often as we have relatives in Minot area and there is a big sign upon entering Tower claiming it to be the cattle capital of North Dakota. The area is flat prairie and McHenry county where Towner is is made up of small towns with Germans or Germans from Russia the main ancestry. There is a gas station/convenience store along Highway 2 with pizza, etc.... I havent ventured into "town" but most of these places have small downtowns with a few spots to shop/eat. No chain restaurants in the county no Walmart (yet) nor no McDonald's etc...

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf

Dan

Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,507 times
closest I find is get off at St. Paul / Minneapolis, MN then to Rugby, ND by train.
thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
I double-checked greyhounds route map and I did see "blue" or greyhound up to Fargo then it looks like they contract with another line to go north to Grand Forks or west to Bismarck (likely Jefferson Bus Line)...

Greyhound.com : Locations : Route Map

Rugby would be closest amtrack stop to get off near Towner....

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota