Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM

309 posts, read 986,341 times

Advertisements

Nabors is the largest on-shore drilling company in North America and is always looks for help. And, if your hubby lost his job, he shoulda just gone to the next company - cuz there are plenty of them there. I worked for Baker Hughes for a number of years - delivery and set ups. There's still plenty of work available. And, they haven't cut the pay that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM

979 posts, read 3,660,267 times
Oh I'm not arguing or disagreeing with any of the "anti" oil worker jobs. I agree that there have been some cutbacks in jobs and pay, but the fact is, the Williston area and NW ND in general is still hopping, and has a lot of available jobs. Things are picking up again...in fact, the Williston city commission minutes Williston ND - Homepage Halliburton informed the city commission they are hiring another 120 new workers to their Williston location. It is not drilling, but service. They don't always pay the best, but they get a lot of hours and overtime (according to my cousin who works there). And Nabors IS advertising for experienced drillers. I do not know WHY anyones husbands lost their jobs, or why they are not getting hired back on...I am just going by the ads in the paper and ndjobservice. Maybe they are just advertising because they have nothing else to do up there??? I don't know.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM

477 posts, read 1,503,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlogger View Post
Nabors is the largest on-shore drilling company in North America and is always looks for help. And, if your hubby lost his job, he shoulda just gone to the next company - cuz there are plenty of them there. I worked for Baker Hughes for a number of years - delivery and set ups. There's still plenty of work available. And, they haven't cut the pay that much.
I would call a pay cut of $6 to $9 a pretty big cut especially when it was done all at once, you know, not like a dollar this month or whatever. Hey I don't work in the oilfield, and I am not dependent on it, I just think it was crappy they cut the pay like that, even if they are "making the big bucks" it's crap no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Oh I'm not arguing or disagreeing with any of the "anti" oil worker jobs. I agree that there have been some cutbacks in jobs and pay, but the fact is, the Williston area and NW ND in general is still hopping, and has a lot of available jobs. Things are picking up again...in fact, the Williston city commission minutes Williston ND - Homepage Halliburton informed the city commission they are hiring another 120 new workers to their Williston location. It is not drilling, but service. They don't always pay the best, but they get a lot of hours and overtime (according to my cousin who works there). And Nabors IS advertising for experienced drillers. I do not know WHY anyones husbands lost their jobs, or why they are not getting hired back on...I am just going by the ads in the paper and ndjobservice. Maybe they are just advertising because they have nothing else to do up there??? I don't know.

Yeah no reason or rhyme to it sometimes, lol, well maybe it will pick back up like they have been saying for a while, hope so for those that are depending on it for their lively hood. I heard that Halliburton was hiring more for this area, and I know that Nabors is still advertising, I read the daily paper here also, lol, sorry didn't mean to come across rude to you with my other post. It's weird though when you actually talk with some of those roughnecks that have been working for Nabors or whomever for many years and get their take on things. It's not going nutz here like it was two years ago, but it's staying steady and that is good for those that didn't get laid off last winter.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,188 times
The oil and gas business is starting to man up for next year, there is so many projects on hold as the greedy oil companies will not press the go button as the price is too low. It will be starting to rise in the first quarter of next year. You can then make sure you have the survival and medical sorted out so you don't miss a start.

If you are happy to travel to get started there is loads of work in the Caspian (now) and offshore Scotland has some new tie backs and oil that will be pumped out soon...

Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 PM

BroncoGirl...yah...I understand. I'm sure it is frustrating for those who are not working..and then all those saying "how come your not working...we are...etc...". Because I DON'T work in the oil patch, I don't hear the whole story from both ends... hearsay, and from people who are still busy working...and then of course the "help wanted" tells a story, but probably not always true... some of these companies advertising are maybe just gearing up and collecting apps with the anticipation that things are going to pick up again. Hopefully things will pick up. When you read all the oil journals, and news articles, they are saying 2010 if gearing up for a busy year in North Dakota...so fingers crossed for everyone in the oil patch.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
How are the prospects of oil field jobs right now?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

very good...they just held a Trucking job fair in Williston about a week ago... see the link below to the story.

Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2010/03/22/news/doc4ba787459e129167555001.txt - broken link)

Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 19,178 times
Just a hypothetical here, If I had $400,000 to invest in equipment such as trucks or equipment related to the oilfield what would be the most in demand equipment that I could contract out immediately. I have no oilfield experience but do have plenty of trucking experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota