Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon theenforcer8487,
You'll like Minot and Minot AFB. Having once being stationed here and now living here, you'll find that Minot is very military oriented. Between the Air Force and Army National Guard, there is a lot of military living in and around Minot. If you have any specific questions about the base or Minot, you can email me back or come on this chat forum. I can send you the links to most of the activities around the area. If you hunt and/or fish, you came to the right place. Even though I do neither, I know a lot of military retire because of the game. Also, crime is low. In last weeks newspaper, ND state has 2 murders for this year 2008. Of course, we still have another day to go. Welcome. ct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM

290 posts, read 637,356 times
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/wynot.png (broken link)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/wynot2.png (broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM

37 posts, read 110,152 times
There is nothing to be afraid of concerning minot. I moved out to north dakota from maine about 8 months ago to help fill in pulpits while churches were without pastors. You will hear some of the people say the weather is really cold and stays below zero for months. Well, having lived in maine all my life, last year we got 200 inches of snow and had our fair share of low below zero temps. I am going through my first winter in north dakota and the only reason it is harder here in the winter is because there are hardly no plows to clear the roads, no salt, and open spaces so the wind blows more often. As I write this post I am in minot and on the air force base staying with friends of mine I met from a church I am helping. The people are very friendly. The crime rate is very low. Minot has about 30,000 people or so and has a nice mall and every major store you would hope for. As far as the snow. Just drive slow, travel with a winter survival kit ( necessary things you will need in case your car breaks down and it is cold). If the roads are too bad here the roads and highways may be closed for a day or two. North Dakota is beautiful. Minot is very nice. What you could do about pictures is go to google maps and zoom in on minot, google minot, google north dakota and you will see the state website. I hope I was able to help a little at least. If you have more questions just send me a direct message and I will be glad to help.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,578 times
Quote:
virginia farm girl
Yeps, Why Not Minot?

Quote:
Another Virginian touring the ND forum!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 AM

290 posts, read 637,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
Yeps, Why Not Minot?
"Another Virginian touring the ND forum!"

No, no, no not touring. I lived there at one time. My husband was an officer in the air force.

We had to rent a heated garage for our car, in order for it to start.

I know. It's c-o-l-d there!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,578 times
Default Minot

Quote:
virginia farm girl
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
Yeps, Why Not Minot?
"Another Virginian touring the ND forum!"

No, no, no not touring. I lived there at one time. My husband was an officer in the air force.
We had to rent a heated garage for our car, in order for it to start.
I know. It's c-o-l-d there!
You were very lucky to get to experience ND and Minot. I stopped there briefly in 2006 on Amtrak, North Dakota is a beautiful state,I think of what I saw on that trip just about every day. And wish I could visit again, and stay for a few days instead of passing through.

The cold in ND and Minot is hard for me to comprehend. But the summer sky and rolling hills and wide open spaces, is something good to experience.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Hello! Well..I can relate! I was actually born and raised on a small ranch just outside Minot...now living in Fargo. Actually, I spent six months last year living in Naples, FL.
To be honest its going to be a culture shock. Standard of living here is minute compared to FL. Therefore youll see everything from gas to housing is much cheaper. Currently, Fargo recieved 36.5 inches of snow in the past four weeks..pretty much all of it has stuck around.
Minot has all of the amenities youll need. From SuperWalmart to Menards, major hospitals and of course..home of the North Dakota State Fair which sees many major artists in concert each year. Also, because Minot is home of the AFB it is probably the most culturaly diverse area of North Dakota..if you can call it that.
The crime rate in ND is actually very low. However...when you watch the news..all you hear about is crime..simply because when something DOES happen..its so rare that thats all we have to talk about. The two major issues ND faces are underage drinking as well as Meth production..which..you only really HEAR about..never really see.
What else? If you are planning on flying back to FL to visit, most people travel to Minneapolis MN to fly from there..its usually the best way to go.
Other than that...ND is very flat and plain. I, myself really enjoyed the people of FL..probably because most were retired and simply wanted someone to talk to. Minot has really been expanding over the past five years or so. If you're used to the..not so much small town living..but..small city living, youll do just fine.
As far as weather is concerned.. when I was driving TO FL..I pulled over the GA/FL boarder and the radio personal were talking about how it was 50 degrees and they needed to turn on their heat..and certainly would need to start their cars before they head home. BS! Here... it hits 30 in winter and we pull out our shorts! -45 degrees with the wind is NOT uncommon in the winter. The wind is the real kicker. However..once it gets so cold.. you never really CAN tell when it gets any colder! They say that living in FL for so long..ur blood starts to thin out. Even from my 6 months of living there I came back and found ND almost unbearable. You'll get used to it. Just realized that bear skin exposed for more than a few Mins will get frostbite quickly..and certainly get a block heater in ur vehicle so you can plug it in any time the temp hits 0 or lower. (All vehicles sold in ND are required to already have them in place).

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM

PS-
DO NOT watch the movie Fargo. If you do... we really are nothing like that here. Infact..that movie wasn't even filmed here. Blame MN!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM

PSS----The eastern part of the state is windy, flat and boring. I know...I live here. The the very western edge is amazing! Google "Medora ND" or "North Dakota Badlands". A must see!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Seriously, only two murders for the entire state for the entire year?!! OMG! Any muders are too many, but I don't know of anywhere else where the crime rate is that low! How incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota