Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenforcer8487 View Post
Greetings,

I was born and raised in Florida, I enlisted in the Air Force in '05 and got stationed back in Florida. Now I have orders to Minot. I've never even seen snow and know next to nothing about ND. Any info, help, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
lol you will be educated in winter life in minot,Just stay warm and get some good advise on how to drive on ice because that is something people do not think about!Remember for your safety and others your car will not react the same in a snow storm like the nice weather you are use to in florida! everything else will come natural,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM

56 posts, read 184,446 times
Quote:
My mother-in-law lives in Minot and she said that there are so many people hiring up there, but because of all of the oil rigs going up they are having a hard time findin workers, as the oil rigs pay so much better than the other jobs in town... Seems opposite of almost everything else these days!
I live about an hour N of minot, and yep there are "help wanted" signs everywhere. The oil industry pays a lot and little education is needed so yes, the oil rigs definately do open up a lot of jobs in town, but mostly for lower paying positions. Why make $8 an hour at Hardees when you can make $20 an hour with an oil company?

Every time I drive pass the AFB and into Minot I try to see it out of a newly stationed AF families eyes....yikes!! Not much to look at - but its a nice place with all the necessary stores, the mall is nice! Check out Chocotopia - nice little chocolate shop/tanning salon/funky gift shop.

Downtown is trying! Definately worth a stop, there is one nice funky little coffee shop/glass artist space - and about 3 great little junk/antique shops.

I hope you guys enjoy ND!!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loocee View Post
I currently live in England and my husband just got orders to Minot AFB. I really don't want to go. I was hoping to go back to Travis but oh well. How is the job market? Housing? Entertainment?
The job market is good. Visit Job Service North Dakota for Minot jobs. Every where you go, there are Help Wanted signs in windows. Construction is gearing up so electricians, sheetrockers, craftsman, etc., are needed. Oil is starting to pick up again and the ads have started in the newspaper.

Housing on base is very slim. For every 4 plex they tear down, they are building a duplex. Depending on your rank, you could have a 6 month wait. Housing in Minot is still selling at a good pace. You need to have your pre-approved loan ready so that when a nice home comes on the market, you don't have to wait for financing.

Entertainment is everywhere. It just depends on the type you want. We don't have a lot of the same entertainment going on at the same time, but we have it. During the summer in the parks, the local band will perform concerts in the parks with people selling their wares. Makes a nice afternoon to spend at.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 19,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia farm girl View Post
"Another Virginian touring the ND forum!"

My husband was an officer in the air force.

We had to rent a heated garage for our car, in order for it to start.

I know. It's c-o-l-d there!
Sounds like something an officer would do...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 AM

5 posts, read 19,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj00 View Post
u

Hello my husband just found out he was getting orders to minot and we both are not looking foward to it. I am trying to stay postive, but for both my husband and I it is going to be hard because we both come from the south. I just wanted to ask for a young couple what is it to do up there, and what are the summer months and how hot does it get up there. Also is it good job opportunity . What is the the closest big city and is there shopping malls.
I was stationed there from 2002 to 2006 and I loved it actually. Having lived in Chicago my entire life, it was a culture shock, but I adjusted easily. To enjoy it, you just have to be open minded and open to new ideas.
I never went to a real rodeo before where you camp and drink all night before and after. As for the local area, there isnt much, but 8 hours in any direction (except north) you will have something exceptional.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM

58 posts, read 185,665 times
With you being from Florida, I know you THINK you know something about mosquitos; however, you are about to find out about a different kind of mosquito. A mosquito that doesn't even try to land on skin...a mosquito that simply lands on your clothes and stabs its way to your skin with its syringe.

It gets so cold that if you spit, it will freeze before it hits the ground and shatter into tiny pieces of frozen spittle.

If you breathe throw your nose, your nose hairs will crystalize with each inhalation and thaw with each exhalation.

Dispense with the "gloves" and get some heavy duty mittens with a fur covered backside for snotwiping.

Get some MREs so you can have food during times when snow drifts strand you inside your home.

That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota