Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 AM

12 posts, read 23,905 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information about other towns around Minot AFB. We do want to live on base but would like to be close to other people and shops. We also have a college kid and a high school kid, so school info would be great as well.
Thanks
Gine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,868 times
Default asking some questions

u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Hello! Well..I can relate! I was actually born and raised on a small ranch just outside Minot...now living in Fargo. Actually, I spent six months last year living in Naples, FL.
To be honest its going to be a culture shock. Standard of living here is minute compared to FL. Therefore youll see everything from gas to housing is much cheaper. Currently, Fargo recieved 36.5 inches of snow in the past four weeks..pretty much all of it has stuck around.
Minot has all of the amenities youll need. From SuperWalmart to Menards, major hospitals and of course..home of the North Dakota State Fair which sees many major artists in concert each year. Also, because Minot is home of the AFB it is probably the most culturaly diverse area of North Dakota..if you can call it that.
The crime rate in ND is actually very low. However...when you watch the news..all you hear about is crime..simply because when something DOES happen..its so rare that thats all we have to talk about. The two major issues ND faces are underage drinking as well as Meth production..which..you only really HEAR about..never really see.
What else? If you are planning on flying back to FL to visit, most people travel to Minneapolis MN to fly from there..its usually the best way to go.
Other than that...ND is very flat and plain. I, myself really enjoyed the people of FL..probably because most were retired and simply wanted someone to talk to. Minot has really been expanding over the past five years or so. If you're used to the..not so much small town living..but..small city living, youll do just fine.
As far as weather is concerned.. when I was driving TO FL..I pulled over the GA/FL boarder and the radio personal were talking about how it was 50 degrees and they needed to turn on their heat..and certainly would need to start their cars before they head home. BS! Here... it hits 30 in winter and we pull out our shorts! -45 degrees with the wind is NOT uncommon in the winter. The wind is the real kicker. However..once it gets so cold.. you never really CAN tell when it gets any colder! They say that living in FL for so long..ur blood starts to thin out. Even from my 6 months of living there I came back and found ND almost unbearable. You'll get used to it. Just realized that bear skin exposed for more than a few Mins will get frostbite quickly..and certainly get a block heater in ur vehicle so you can plug it in any time the temp hits 0 or lower. (All vehicles sold in ND are required to already have them in place).

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have!
Hello my husband just found out he was getting orders to minot and we both are not looking foward to it. I am trying to stay postive, but for both my husband and I it is going to be hard because we both come from the south. I just wanted to ask for a young couple what is it to do up there, and what are the summer months and how hot does it get up there. Also is it good job opportunity . What is the the closest big city and is there shopping malls.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 AM

12 posts, read 23,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj00 View Post
u

Hello my husband just found out he was getting orders to minot and we both are not looking foward to it. I am trying to stay postive, but for both my husband and I it is going to be hard because we both come from the south. I just wanted to ask for a young couple what is it to do up there, and what are the summer months and how hot does it get up there. Also is it good job opportunity . What is the the closest big city and is there shopping malls.
Same here. We are leaving England for Minot but I'll try to stay positive. Good luck with the searches! Jennifer

Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
jazzyj00 & Gine,
Minot's weather in the summer can reach into the 100's but will only stay a day or two. During the summer, there are free concerts in the park that takes up freewill donations. There are water parks, zoo, the State Fair, and in the fall, the Scandinavian Hostfest. There are activities going on constantly. Minot is the 4th largest city in ND, but with the oil boom still going on, we expect constant growth for the next 3-5 years. For college, we have our local Universtiy: Minot State University and for jobs: [url=http://www.jobsnd.com] . ct

Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Default Hold on, I'm coming!

My wife, our parolette, my son, his wife, his son and his dog are all pulling a 'Beverly Hillbillies" move come the end of April and we're headed to Minot from Seattle. We're all from Florida and are looking for a nice rural area to settle down for good.

I'm trying to find a place to live for us before I get there but I haven't been too success talking to people over the phone. I could drive out but I just don't want to make a double trip if I can help it.

Our thoughts about a place is two fold - either get a 3 bedroom apartment for all of us, the second is to get a one and a two bedroom apartment. Our plans is to get there and then look around to buy property.

From what I understand, his dog (a toy dashund) is a problem as most places do not seem pet friendly.

If you could give me any help or details in this endeavor, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
You're right about the pets. Too many pet owners let the pets destroy the home where even the pet deposit didn't cover the damage. it's getting harder to find homes or apartments that will allow pets. I take it that you are not looking for a place to purchase instead of renting. I'll see what I can find out and post on this later.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:55 AM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldfuse View Post
I'd argue Minot has some of the best shopping in North Dakota because of the base.

You need to realize your life is going to change significantly though. North Dakota is a good place with humble people. I believe its mostly because of the winter.

I'd also argue you'll find yourself in some maligned way enjoying the harshness of the winter. It reverts you to some primal survivalist urges and when spring comes, even if you did nothing but sit inside you'll feel a sense of accomplishment.
you would argue anything,the best snopping is in fargo realy putting in a lot of nice things there in the past few year!But i will sat Minot has about anything you would want!yhe mall is kinda small but nice,

Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,568 times
I currently live in England and my husband just got orders to Minot AFB. I really don't want to go. I was hoping to go back to Travis but oh well. How is the job market? Housing? Entertainment?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loocee View Post
I currently live in England and my husband just got orders to Minot AFB. I really don't want to go. I was hoping to go back to Travis but oh well. How is the job market? Housing? Entertainment?
Based on a recent article that I read, the job market in Minot must be pretty good. Some company was trying to open a call center in Minot and was looking for 250 more people to fill their openings. But they couldn't find the additional people, so they had to close the call center. How crazy is that?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 81,992 times
My mother-in-law lives in Minot and she said that there are so many people hiring up there, but because of all of the oil rigs going up they are having a hard time findin workers, as the oil rigs pay so much better than the other jobs in town... Seems opposite of almost everything else these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota