Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 48,125 times

Advertisements

I am from Texas and would love to know of great places in North
Dakota to live and work.I am in my late 50's and just looking for a quiet place to retire and enjoy life.I do have grand children and i need to know where the activities are,fishing,swimming,etc.I grew up on a farm in Athens,tx and want to return to the good way of life,now i am in the dallas area tired of city living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times
Well, here's a list of things you can do in and around Valley City, ND a town of 6800.

***Drive the National Scenic Byway, visit the Barnes Co Museum (by far the nicest 'small town' museum around) where they have travelling exhibits (from Smithsonian & other places) as well as the usual stuff

***Check our the neat & unusual shops...antiques, 2nd-hand, photo studios, pottery, etc

***Don't miss 'The Quilted Ceiling' (fabrics, kitchenwares, gifts, misc) where each of the 2' x 4' ceiling tiles is painted in a different quilt block pattern!

***Eat at Another Time - a small cafe in a 1920's house, Dutton's Parlor-an ice cream shop & coffee Bar, the Viking Room (Good soups!), or The Chinese Palace (best oriental food around...better than anything in Fargo or Bismarck!)

***Stop at the Rosebud Visitor's Center to see the 'Rosebud', a 1880's railroad superintendant's private car with it's original wood furniture, fold up bunk beds and heavy brass light fixtures, kitchen, dining room, and bathrooms (like the private rail cars on the 'Wild, Wild West' TV show & Movies!) There are also displays telling about our area and about the Sheyenne Valley National Scenic Byway. This is also where to go to ask questions about the town or to puck up maps & brochures pertaining to the area.

***In summer, walk or drive the bridge tour - we have 14 bridges in town and several are unusual or one-of-a kind bridges, and a couple are on the National Historic Register.

***The Winter Show, Ralley in the Valley, Soapbox Derby, Christmas in the Valley, Community Days, Sheyenne Shuffle Half Marathon, Artists Crawl, High School & College Homecoming parades, Rodeos & Horse shows nearly every weekend in summer, Craft Shows, Farmers Market 3 times a week, etc, etc, etc.

***Hike the North Country Trail, hunt, snow mobile, fish, waterski (Lake Ashtabula is 15 minutes away), downhill ski (at Fort Ransom 40 miles away)

***Birdwatching! People come from around the country (and world!) to bird watch in our area since we are where eastern & western species are both found.

***Go Geo-Caching - there are dozens of caches within 50 miles!

***Frisbee golf in City Park or play regular golf at one of our golf courses.

***Camp in town or at one of the campgrounds up at the Lake

***Stay at one of the unique lodging choices - The Presedent's House Guest Inn, Three Oaks Guest Inn, Lakeside Bed & Breakfast, or Sheyenne Riverbend Farm, and have a nice supper at City Lights Supper Club or at Sabir's.

I know there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by 3-Oaks; 01-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: typos & spacing

Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 PM

49 posts, read 135,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Well, here's a list of things you can do in and around Valley City, ND a town of 6800.

***Drive the National Scenic Byway, visit the Barnes Co Museum (by far the nicest 'small town' museum around) where they have travelling exhibits (from Smithsonian & other places) as well as the usual stuff

***Check our the neat & unusual shops...antiques, 2nd-hand, photo studios, pottery, etc

***Don't miss 'The Quilted Ceiling' (fabrics, kitchenwares, gifts, misc) where each of the 2' x 4' ceiling tiles is painted in a different quilt block pattern!

***Eat at Another Time - a small cafe in a 1920's house, Dutton's Parlor-an ice cream shop & coffee Bar, the Viking Room (Good soups!), or The Chinese Palace (best oriental food around...better than anything in Fargo or Bismarck!)

***Stop at the Rosebud Visitor's Center to see the 'Rosebud', a 1880's railroad superintendant's private car with it's original wood furniture, fold up bunk beds and heavy brass light fixtures, kitchen, dining room, and bathrooms (like the private rail cars on the 'Wild, Wild West' TV show & Movies!) There are also displays telling about our area and about the Sheyenne Valley National Scenic Byway. This is also where to go to ask questions about the town or to puck up maps & brochures pertaining to the area.

***In summer, walk or drive the bridge tour - we have 14 bridges in town and several are unusual or one-of-a kind bridges, and a couple are on the National Historic Register.

***The Winter Show, Ralley in the Valley, Soapbox Derby, Christmas in the Valley, Community Days, Sheyenne Shuffle Half Marathon, Artists Crawl, High School & College Homecoming parades, Rodeos & Horse shows nearly every weekend in summer, Craft Shows, Farmers Market 3 times a week, etc, etc, etc.

***Hike the North Country Trail, hunt, snow mobile, fish, waterski (Lake Ashtabula is 15 minutes away), downhill ski (at Fort Ransom 40 miles away)

***Birdwatching! People come from around the country (and world!) to bird watch in our area since we are where eastern & western species are both found.

***Go Geo-Caching - there are dozens of caches within 50 miles!

***Frisbee golf in City Park or play regular golf at one of our golf courses.

***Camp in town or at one of the campgrounds up at the Lake

***Stay at one of the unique lodging choices - The Presedent's House Guest Inn, Three Oaks Guest Inn, Lakeside Bed & Breakfast, or Sheyenne Riverbend Farm, and have a nice supper at City Lights Supper Club or at Sabir's.

I know there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Thank You for the come back I'll be up that way in April and will check it all out!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times
When in April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksand66 View Post
Thank You for the come back I'll be up that way in April and will check it all out!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,187 times
Valley City is nice.

I especially like heading south down the Sheyenne River Valley down to Ft. Randsom.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times
I grew up in the Garrison area. There is tons to do there! In the winter, they have the Dickins Christmas festival. During the summer there are several state parks, a hopping fishing area throughout. There is a swimming pool in town as well as nice places to stop for ice cream. And..when the adventure is calling, you sit right between Minot (hope of the airforce base, shopping center, and ND State Fair) and Bismarck, the state capitol that is always buzzing. Also..my grandma who still lives in Garrison...LOVES to head to New Town to the casion!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM

50 posts, read 158,754 times
Default North Dakota

I lived in N.D. for 7 years in the 80's and loved it. I was in Dickinson N.D. What I loved the most was the people. There are some really, really good people in North and South Dak. I have been looking at Lemmon S.D. It's a small town with a nice public pool for the grandkids in the summer. Not much going on but enough. Let me know how your trip goes. Spearfish S.D. is pretty too and the small towns around there. Nice that you can go and look for yourself. Have a good trip.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 70,858 times
Default Great places in North Dakota

I grew up on a farm outside a small ND town.
Some people really enjoy that small town environment.
But, I have lived in Bismarck(4 years) and Fargo for the past 30 years.
Fargo has the best of everything to offer.
Big enough to have plenty of types of good recreation all year round. With 3 universities, there are plenty of activities to find for the public on campus. We have great, reasonably priced golfing, Minor Leagues Baseball,
Division 1 sports, a large entertainment venue with concerts etc., top notch medical services, nice places to shop and dine. ND and Mn have great State Parks with camping. Within an hours drive, there are many MN lakes for fishing, etc. (Ice fishing in the Winter). Minneapolis is a great weekend trip and there you will find all sorts of options. If you drive West to the Badlands, you will find unique scenery. From there, the Black Hills of SD is a great vacation for more than a weekend.
Job pay is only fair, but the cost of living here is not so bad. Houses have pretty much held their value here, so you will not find cheap housing, but still reasonable compared to most anywhere, unless you want to live in a small town.
Our area is fairly conservative socially, economically and in religion. We are scarce in people of color, but that is improving some. Most people are friendly, but of course, everyplace has it's no-good doers. Most people feel very safe here and our law inforcement is good.
The Winters are ugly. If you really want to live here, you should come visit for a week or 2 during Jan. or Feb. so you can feel what I am talking about. You can't know or be prepared if you do not. Not many of us love the really cold, but we think the pros outweight the cons, most of the time. And other than the incovenience of snow and cold, we carry on our lives with out skipping much of a beat for the storms.
Come and see for yourself.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,504 times
Smile Looking to Move to ND or SD? This is it!

Hello, I can't help but recommend Beach, ND. We moved here from LA 2-1/2 years ago. It is quiet, safe, small town mentality, about 1100 folks, all ages with a large aging population and new folk coming in. We started an organic CSA (community centered agriculture) site here this year; now have organic and local produce! Venison, elk, buffalo, grass-fed beef. Beautiful rolling prairies, stunning Badlands vistas, clean air, a local old theatre going live! Country and bluegrass and spirit music. You can find progressives and conservatives. Nice low cost of living. Friendly, easy to talk to folk. Come for a visit!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Whether you move to South Dakota or North Dakota, it doesn't matter much. The two states pretty well mirror each other.

Only large difference between the two is North Dakota is COLDER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota