Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 17,205 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have went to Great Schools to research the schools in the area and they are not rated high. The test scores are not high and parents reviews are not so great either(on some schools not all ). Please give me you option on the schools in the area both in GF and EGF. Thank you for any info you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,972,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingprettysoon View Post
Hi, I have went to Great Schools to research the schools in the area and they are not rated high. The test scores are not high and parents reviews are not so great either(on some schools not all ). Please give me you option on the schools in the area both in GF and EGF. Thank you for any info you can share.

Knowing parents with kids in the Grand Forks public schools and having kids that will attend EGF public schools I do not worry at all. The quality of education at each school would be very similar. The buildings age and conditions may vary somewhat and that does influence some folks.

Now in EGF...there are no choices as K-2 is New River Heights (north side)....3-5 is South Pointe (south side)....then 6-8 is middle school (south side right next to South Pointe) and 9-12 High school (north side). North side meaning north of Hwy 2 and south side meaning the south section of Pointe part of EGF.

Now in GF....probably the one elementary school that may be considered better and may have richer kids attend would be Century elementary which serves much of the southwest half of the city. Kelly elementary is on the southeast side and serves that area and is also very good. The other elementary schools on the south side such as Lewis and Clark...Ben Franklin and Viking are are all very good with those too but a bit older and are located in more established areas of town. Phoenix elem is the newest (built after the 97 flood) and is located close to downtown. And the northside elem schools are still fine too...West...Lake Aggasiz...with Wilder and Winthrop likely the oldest of all of them.

South middle school is on 47th Ave S and Schroder is right next to Kelly elem and both are just fine. On the north side is Valley Middle school and that is fine too and near University Park.

The two high schools are very good Red River and Central with Red River the south end and Central the north end. More wealthy kids attend Red River while Central HS is located downtown but both are very good.

So in a nutshell...dont know what the great school sites say but I wouldnt put too much truth in them as education quality is good at all of them. Anyway that is my experience.

Another thing I saw on some crime site that it had EGF violent crime index a 6...for what I dont know....but looking at just that number would make you think it is violent crime central and that is certainly not the case.

Dan

Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,690 times
Default Schools in GF/EGF

I really don't know who develops some of these websites where they rate schools, hospitals, etc. I wonder what the motive is. I also wonder what the criteria for the ratings are.

As someone who has studied and taught developmental psychology and worked with families for years, I can tell you that what we often think is important to our children's well-being is not always the case.

I would agree with DANinEGF. Any of the schools of these communities will do a fine job. What matters most to children is

1. Warm, strong relationships with their parents.
2. Adequate resources
3. Engagement in learning

Students who have a love of learning and close, warm relationships with parents will work to their potential. Before 7th grade, the number of hours of homework does not reliably predict achievement. You know what does? Having at least one shared meal with family.

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to you as a parent, but perseverence in the face of obstacles matters much more to student achievement than innate ability.

Your children will likely do very well in their studies wherever they go to school in EGF/GF. Frankly, what I worry about more is not what takes place in the schools here, but what goes on outside. For example, people speeding down streets when children are going to, or leaving school.

Best of luck to you. You sound like a very concerned parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: